Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul--How many pieces?

musicmaker99

My link

I know, this should be in the Gibby section but I trust and know you guys. I have my Les Paul Tribute on Ebay and someone asked how many pieces the body is. I always thought it was three but after looking closer I'm really not sure. Whatta you all think? Thanks

$(KGrHqMOKo4E3uY-ooJ4BO!sOiSEUg~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqZ,!jYE3LbCZpJhBO!rB577PQ~~_12.JPG

Hard to tell from those shots, but it looks like it could be 4 to me, but the lighting makes it tricky. Do you have a shot from the butt end? I think it's sometimes easier to see from there vs. just the back depending on how well the pieces are matched up.

I find that strange because on the Discovery channel How it's Made documentary on Gibson, it is clearly stated and shown that Gibson bodies are made of three pieces of wood. Considering that they have a standard procedure to build the guitars, I can't see how some are made from two pieces and others are made from three. I can understand certain special or Custom Shop models being made from one or two pieces, but regular models such as Standards should follow the usual procedure. You can see this at the three minute mark in the following video. Considering how important this seems to be to some people, I can't imagine Gibson allowing this to be stated if it was not the way things were actually made.

Here's my post on the Gibby forum with better pics TRIBUTE

Yeah, that definitely looks like two from the end. The initial photos make it look (to me) like there's a seam right near the neck joint and another on the horn side that are only tricks of light and the grain. Even in the larger picture on the other thread it looks like there's a seam on the horn side that isn't there in the side view.

In general, Custom Shop Gibson Les Pauls and most re-issues are one piece bodies....ALL others are multiple pieces....Many are two piece bodies,

with the nice ones being center seamed....Others are two and three piece backs.....Most Gibson LP tops are two piece, center seamed, with the exception

of some reissues where the tops are INTENTIONALLY NOT center seamed.....SGs are usually two or three pieces....Many Epi LPs which appear to have

one or two piece bodies are actually multi-piece bodies, with a one piece veener on the back....Does any of this affect tone ??? That's a matter of opinion..

Does it affect value ??? Also, a matter of opinion........MIM Strats and Teles have multi-piece bodies, hidden beneath veneers; these can have bodies made

with up to eight or more small chunks of wood glued together........USA made Teles and Strats USUALLY have one or two piece bodies.......

Looks like two piece to me and I have seen two piece LPs around. The only seam that's apparent to me is on the bass side, the treble side line seems to be natural grain. I guess all the slabs large enough for one piece backs go to the Custom Shop.

My 2004 LP is a one piece, not too sure when they started using mutli-piece backs on them. My 2006 SG is two piece, off centre seam.

Archived