Gibson Brands Forums

Musician

Flight959

I kinda agree with Fred. If you wanna revive an old thread, then revive an old thread.

Every subject has been covered multiple times in this forum! :rolleyes:

Still, thanks for posting and keeping the thread on top!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had never really thought of myself as a musician but never really gave it any thought.

I play music, I get on a stage maybe once a year, I dream music and guitars. I create my own solos and chord progressions but it is only recently that I have been referred to as a musician by others. Kinda took me by surprise. I don't read music in the true sense of the word.

If someone thinks I'm at a level to be called a musician, i'm cool with that.

–noun

1. a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

2. any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

Who would have thought a dictionary would provide the best answers?

LOL!

Please note; they DO NOT say everyone who has an instrument can automatically be classed as a musician. Just because you have an instrument that is not, in itself, enough. More is required from an individual to qualify the designation 'musician'.

P.

Definitions vary by region;

by the same token of thought, can you define sport? Or more aptly, can you define an athlete? Is poker a sport? Therefore is a poker player an athlete?

I think a musician has to be able to hear music. To listen to a rhythm or beat or string of notes. They don't have to know what notes they are, or whether or not they're major or minor keys or what mode they're in or what suspended 7th chord is being used, but be able to hear it whether they're playing it on an instrument or listening to someone play.

Then again, it varies by region.

I have decided because I go to the gym and enjoy it I am an athlete [flapper] Fine figure of a man that I am LOL

Matt

YOU at the Gym!! what are you the receptionist there?? "hello LA Fitness, Matthew speaking!, Can I help you!?" [glare]

If your there to become a fine figure of a boy then i'd be asking for my money back!! :rolleyes:

Stop eating pizza! [flapper]

Regards

YOU at the Gym!! what are you the receptionist there?? "hello LA Fitness, Matthew speaking!, Can I help you!?" [glare]

If your there to become a fine figure of a boy then i'd be asking for my money back!! :rolleyes:

Stop eating pizza! [flapper]

Regards

Says Uncle Buck the second [biggrin]

Definitions vary by region;

Actually, it does not.

Or more aptly, can you define an athlete? Is poker a sport? Therefore is a poker player an athlete?

Glad you brought this up. Poker is not a sport.

Poker players, golfers, dart throwers (allah, I love throwing darts!), redneckNASCAR or Formula 1 drivers, and billiards players are *not* athletes. Your sport has to have some level of athleticism involved, not just skill. And no, walking around on $100k grass does not make you an athlete, Tiger Woods.

I really love Cookie and Damian et al; but to me saying someone is automatically a musician, because they play an instrument, is like saying someone who attends church is automatically compassionate because they own a bible. Sure the two are related (and one hopes that encourages the other) but in my opinion, one doesn't automatically create the other. It is an awareness of outside 'the self' that is necessary for being a musician and also being compassionate.

Matt

No the comparison to what you're saying Matt is if a person goes to a concert he is a musician and we all know that's rubbish.

Certainly there are different levels (beginner/ advanced) and categories (amateur/ pro) but even in my youth once I could complete a song beginning to end and was able to play it for someone I considered myself a musician.

But then that's how this cookie crumbles. hehehe

No the comparison to what you're saying Matt is if a person goes to a concert he is a musician and we all know that's rubbish.

Certainly there are different levels (beginner/ advanced) and categories (amateur/ pro) but even in my youth once I could complete a song beginning to end and was able to play it for someone I considered myself a musician.

But then that's how this cookie crumbles. hehehe

The gym analogy was a better one I admit LOL, but I still think the the church analogy stands up. Hmm, I don't think concert analogy works as an equal comparison.The reason being that the concert experience is something that the majority of people watching will be non-musicians, enjoying the entertainment aspect of the experience. However, in the religious experience of going to church, you would certainly hope that the people present (on the whole lol) would be not just spectating, but practising their beliefs. Ie practising their beliefs like an instrumentalist practices.

So the connection I was making was that just as someone who plays/practices an instrument isn't automatically a musician; similarly someone attends church and practices religion, that doesn't automatically mean they are nice/compassionate people

Matt

Actually I do consider motor racing a sport involving the whole body rather than a matter of just skill as perhaps at tossing cards into a hat.

Horseshoes, golf... I dunno. Motor racing certainly is far more physically demanding.

The thing with a lot of motor racing is the degree one is operating under physical stress as well as mental to utilize specialized skills better than the next guy. Working for an hour or far longer against not insignificant G forces is not an easy task. Nor is replacing tires on a racing car. Cricket or baseball certainly are less physically demanding.

At the other end you have high jumpers and pole vaulters whose sport is even far shorter than rodeo athletes - but believe me, they are athletes.

Playing in a rock band has been some of the hardest physical work I've ever done, but yet it's not a sport any more than tossing hay bales or digging ditches by hand. But there's not a contest of who can burn the most calories setting up, playing and tearing down a four-hour band gig.

A sport is a matter of testing who can do a physically demanding task better than others. Team sports involve more than one person in dong the above together.

m

Actually I do consider motor racing a sport involving the whole body rather than a matter of just skill as perhaps at tossing cards into a hat.

Horseshoes, golf... I dunno. Motor racing certainly is far more physically demanding.

The thing with a lot of motor racing is the degree one is operating under physical stress as well as mental to utilize specialized skills better than the next guy. Working for an hour or far longer against not insignificant G forces is not an easy task. Nor is replacing tires on a racing car. Cricket or baseball certainly are less physically demanding.

At the other end you have high jumpers and pole vaulters whose sport is even far shorter than rodeo athletes - but believe me, they are athletes.

Playing in a rock band has been some of the hardest physical work I've ever done, but yet it's not a sport any more than tossing hay bales or digging ditches by hand. But there's not a contest of who can burn the most calories setting up, playing and tearing down a four-hour band gig.

A sport is a matter of testing who can do a physically demanding task better than others. Team sports involve more than one person in dong the above together.

m

Right. Motor racing is a sport, but the people that drive those cars are not athletes.

I hung with a bull rider in college. Those guys are F'ing crazy. Athletes for sure, but more like baseball player athletes in the tradition of Babe Ruth.

To me, playing in a rock band is a physical challenge, but to a lot of cats that just stand there on stage it is not. Guess we all cannot be Pete Townshend, Iggy Pop, or Henry Rollins.

"someone who plays/practices an instrument isn't automatically a musician"

At what point would they be?

I mean what would be the

defining moment when they blossom, transform if you will, into said musician?

To reiterate my view, in a general sense I agree ANYONE who plays an instrument is (to use a blanket term) is musician. In a non general way when do I think someone turns into a musician...

When they mentally take a leap outside of their instrument and recognise it as one of hundreds of instruments, viewing

music holistically and not from the insular world of bring just an instrumentalist.

I think this is a frame of mind that happens when people

open their mind. Some beginners have great musicianship from the word go, some highly technically gifted instrumentalists remain just that.

Lastly to re iterate again; these are of course just my opinions (like everything is) my hope at least even if you

disagree, is that my reasoning is clear.

Cheers to you Cookie

Matt

Hmmm....

A BRICK house, a WOODEN house, a CONCRETE house, a Mc Mansion HOUSE, a CARDBOARD house,

an ELEGANT house, an ESTATE house, a THREE STORY house, a LOG CABIN house, a VACATION house...

Correct me if I'm wrong ( although only Cookieman does that ), but, aren't they all houses ??????

So, hmmm.......A WANNA BE musician, an AMAZING musician, a PRO musician, a PART TIME musician,

an AMATURE musician, a DRUNK musician, a ROCK musician, a RETIRED musician, a DEAD musician,

um, ah, what's the prob ??????? Isn't a house a house ???? Isn't a musician a musician ??????

Hmmm....

A BRICK house, a WOODEN house, a CONCRETE house, a Mc Mansion HOUSE, a CARDBOARD house,

an ELEGANT house, an ESTATE house, a THREE STORY house, a LOG CABIN house, a VACATION

house...

Correct me if I'm wrong ( although only Cookieman does that ), but, aren't they all houses ??????

So, hmmm.......A WANNA BE musician, an AMAZING musician, a PRO musician, a PART TIME musician,

an AMATURE musician, a DRUNK musician, a ROCK

musician, a RETIRED musician, a DEAD musician,

um, ah, what's the prob ??????? Isn't a house a house ???? Isn't a musician a musician ??????

Nope. LMAO

Some houses are just houses, some are homes. You hope that a house can become a home, but many buildings minus that extra 'difficult to put your finger on' thing, alas remain homes.

A home can be just a shack, pile of rubble but stlll be a home!

Matt

Archived