Gibson Brands Forums

I'm very tempted by this...

dem00n

http://www.etsy.com/listing/73402017/lucky-cigar-box-amp-nub-cameroon-358

Worst thing that could happen is that it sounds comeplete **** and it be a nice little dectraction in my room, which i wouldnt mind...

Edit: I read this little piece on guitar pedals...quite interesting.

Most pedal manufacturers employ pre-packaged ICs (integrated circuit chips) to buffer their signals. These class-B chips are designed to be extremely efficient, quiet, and very compact making them perfect for pedals that employ 9V batteries that would otherwise quickly run dead. These chips are also really cheap! This reduces manufacturing costs and best of all, because they are really easy to use and come with great application manuals from the same guys that make cell phones, anyone with basic electronic knowledge can use them.

Only one problem. . . they sound bad.

Why? Well--guitars are not buffered sources like an iPod. Guitars are musical instruments. They breathe and spit and bark and cry. They are alive. As soon as you connect a pre-packaged frozen dinner in between the pickup and the amp, the instrument becomes detached. It just is not the same. It is the way that the guitar reacts to the circuit that completes the instrument.

So, you are saying that you want a little SS amp that has a buffer chip in it as all SS amps have,

then you say that buffered pedals are sh*t..........But, you want that little amp because it'll fit in

your room......

So, you are saying that you want a little SS amp that has a buffer chip in it as all SS amps have,

then you say that buffered pedals are sh*t..........But, you want that little amp because it'll fit in

your room......

Yup. [lol]

I'm not saying buffered pedals are ****, just that article is interesting.

I'm not sure if that buffer thing was necessarily talking about buffered bypass pedals.

I think a lot of builders incorporate buffers before and/or after the circuit to affect the way the incoming signal "hits" the circuit and after to affect the way it does.. uhh... something else... Lol I don't want to say something stupid I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Not all buffers are bad though. If you have a lot of true bypass pedals you will get the dreaded "tone suck" and you will need some kind of buffer or booster to return your bypassed sound to it's former glory.

I know you seem kinda interested in Strymon pedals lately. On the el capistan you can switch between buffered and true bypass. I have mine on buffered mode (mainly because it's in this mode that you get trails and I loop a lot) and the buffer is pretty excellent. I had another Stymon pedal but I'm not sure if that was switchable like that. I know the WET reverb and some TC pedals do this too. It's nice..

Some companies make staight up buffer pedals. It's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

The cigar-box amp seems a very interesting prospect. I like it's looks, too.

I'd go for it if you have the money lying around not doing anything. Can it run from the mains electricity supply as well or is it purely a 9v cell-powered thing, do you know?

P.

Yup. [lol]

I'm not saying buffered pedals are ****, just that article is interesting.

A +1 for not busting my chops for, um........It is an interesting article.......

Tube Screamer owners would be shocked to know that the " vintage " chips

used in the reissues are the same as.....well, and that they cost 83 cents each......

Why does that look like my SG w/ too many strap buttons? Fuzzy?

Just a picture from the interwebs. I always wish it was mine so I could caption it and say "people say that Les Pauls have limited fret access, but with the strap button in the way..."

Archived