Gibson Brands Forums

Johnny B Goode

Artie Owl

This is a staple song, and it's been covered a bajillion times, by who did it best in your opinion?

I really like Johnny Winter's rendition, but I have to admit, the campy nature of Michael J Fox playing it in back to the future is one of my favourite versions.

(just to be sure I looked it up, while MJF did play in bands in high school he didn't play in the movie;

"Although it appears that Michael J. Fox is actually playing the guitar, Music Supervisor Bones Howe hired Hollywood guitar coach and musician Paul Hanson to teach Michael J. Fox to simulate playing all the parts so it would look realistic, including playing behind his head. Veteran session musician Tim May played the actual guitar parts with Mark Campbell doing the vocal work on "Johnny B. Goode" and Paul Hanson played the section at the beginning of the movie during the high school dance audition scene." source

There actually are a number of Chuck Berry versions floating around.

The thing is that some are "cleaner" than others, etc., but there's something about the rather loose way Berry played it, even in the first recorded release, that caught me in the first place from the time it came out.

I know that may make me kinda the old fogey on this one, but... So what. Heaven knows I've played the thing enough myself that I figure I've a right to prefer Chuck's guitar and vocal regardless of specific backing.

m

The thing is that some are "cleaner" than others, etc., but there's something about the rather loose way Berry played it, even in the first recorded release, that caught me in the first place from the time it came out.

I know that may make me kinda the old fogey on this one, but... So what. Heaven knows I've played the thing enough myself that I figure I've a right to prefer Chuck's guitar and vocal regardless of specific backing.

m

I'm with you one that Milo, Chucks version is my favorite also. [thumbup]

Chuck Berry's version

1958. Original and best! (MJF's historically impossible version is also a guilty secret, mind. A propos. Gibson Trivia Quiz: plus point for the first person to explain why that version is historically impossible, even if we accept that Marty McFly does have access to a time-travelling DeLorean...)

rct

Is that in answer, or in correction, RCT? (As in, 1955 is too early for the song, or Chuck Berry wrote the song in 1955, but recorded it in 1958?) If in answer, I need more. It's not the fact that the song is performed in 1955, because time travel would allow the transfer of musical knowledge dating from after 1958 to an earlier year, and that's the whole joke about the performance - MJF invents Chuck Berry before CB records Maybellene. It's something else...

m

My personal favourite, which I came across by pure chance two years ago, was Chuck Berry doing a slower, jazzier take of his 'normal' version.

Nowadays it's the only one I play.

P.

Is that in answer, or in correction, RCT? (As in, 1955 is too early for the song, or Chuck Berry wrote the song in 1955, but recorded it in 1958?) If in answer, I need more. It's not the fact that the song is performed in 1955, because time travel would allow the transfer of musical knowledge dating from after 1958 to an earlier year, and that's the whole joke about the performance - MJF invents Chuck Berry before CB records Maybellene. It's something else...

But wasn't the guitar a Trini Lopez, came out later? I haven't seen that movie since, well, 1955...

rct

But wasn't the guitar a Trini Lopez, came out later? I haven't seen that movie since, well, 1955...

rct

Yay! Well, close enough for the plus 1, anyway. Not a Trini, but an ES 345, so not manufactured before 1959. Given that MJF doesn't take it with him to 1955, but nabs it from a guitarist in situ who is rather shocked to hear anything as radical as Chuck Berry licks and so didn't come back in time himself, it's safe to say that the whole scene is impossible, even if time travel by dodgy Irish car is factored in as a possibility.

Ah, but the assumption is that the car takes one back in time in a single universe.

Given brane universe theories... <grin> there's no reason to believe that our hero goes and comes in time within the same universe. In fact, there's good reason to assume that it almost definitely would not be the case.

m

Ah, but the assumption is that the car takes one back in time in a single universe.

Given brane universe theories... <grin> there's no reason to believe that our hero goes and comes in time within the same universe. In fact, there's good reason to assume that it almost definitely would not be the case.

m

You're convincing me, Milod. I am now toying with the advantages of having parallel universes in which a whole raft of tasty old Gibsons can be found, and rareties are no longer overpriced. Oh, but that's a post which belongs on a parallel thread...

Archived