Gibson Brands Forums

60's Tribute issues

gerryphillips

just wondering if anyone had any issue with the toggle switch on their 60's tributes ... seems I read somewhere that some had to have them cleaned and spray-lubed.

mine is flaky in the center position.

gonna take it down the dealer tomorrow and have it looked, but it's only 2 days old.

still, I love it for everything it offers.

rock on people.

that sucks get the shop to do it, make sure its a switchcraft toggle switch though or order it in an do it yourself if your handy with a soldering iron. you should get a toggle switch wrench from StewMac if your doing it yourself

There have been toggle issues since the 50s Trib LP came out, also with the 60s Trib. It's been posted many times.

Some reported reasons: dirty contacts, short/solder connections, and bad switch.

They should repair/replace for you.

Best of luck.

Nice playing! Really great! I like Your tone very much!!! I know what equipment it takes to have such a tone now, BUT what beer do You drink? :)

Lol hey thanks Bro [biggrin]

bahhh haaa, well in Adelaide South Australia where I am from, there are 2x beer company's. One for the rich and one for the poor.

On good pay days I drink the rich mans beer COOPERS PALE ALE, on bad pay days it's the poor mans beer West End Draught!!

Thanks for your nice comments [thumbup]

Now I know all Your tone secrets. :) I've been dreaming for very long now to visit Australia. One day I will go there, rent a '73 Falcon XB, pack the trunk with Coopers' and drive from one coast to another... :)

Now I know all Your tone secrets. :) I've been dreaming for very long now to visit Australia. One day I will go there, rent a '73 Falcon XB, pack the trunk with Coopers' and drive from one coast to another... :)

OMG!! BAHH HAAA.... lol, hey I was born in 73. Although I like a 1973 HQ Holden Monaro. Still like the ol XB Falcon and coopers idea though... [flapper][thumbup][biggrin]

I wonder if this is more than just tribute issue.

I tried 3 different Bonamassa Gold Top's and 2 had selector switch issues that you couldn't use the bridge pickup

The 3rd the volume pot was dead on the bridge, would only work intermittently.

No it's definitely not just a Tribute issue, I had this issue on my Fender Tele...;)

I wonder if this is more than just tribute issue.

I tried 3 different Bonamassa Gold Top's and 2 had selector switch issues that you couldn't use the bridge pickup

The 3rd the volume pot was dead on the bridge, would only work intermittently.

Goofy jokes aside, the toggle problem has been showing up mostly on certain Studio models, most reported here on the 50s/60s Tribute LPs. Gibson might have went to a cheaper supplier in efforts to keep the cost of the Studio models down.

I was just about to ask this question myself when I spotted this post.

My Studio 60’s Tribute Goldtop has an intermittent problem with the bridge pickup (I’m not sure if it affects the neck pickup, with it being intermittent it can be difficult to tell). Sometimes the pickup just doesn’t work, but when you toggle the pickup selector switch it comes good again. I assumed that it was a dry solder joint

I’m taking it back to the shop next week, do you think I should ask them to replace the switch?

Regards,

Ian.

I was just about to ask this question myself when I spotted this post.

My Studio 60's Tribute Goldtop has an intermittent problem with the bridge pickup (I'm not sure if it affects the neck pickup, with it being intermittent it can be difficult to tell). Sometimes the pickup just doesn't work, but when you toggle the pickup selector switch it comes good again. I assumed that it was a dry solder joint

I'm taking it back to the shop next week, do you think I should ask them to replace the switch?

Regards,

Ian.

it could very well be a dry solder joint and a very easy fix to achieve. If like suggested earlier Gibson are not using a switchcraft switch then i would personally change it for a switchcraft switch.

you'll probably find that if the shop fixes the switch then they wouldn't look to fit another one.

if it works after they re-solder then great i wouldnt worry about it :rolleyes:

Archived