Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Brought Back Another 60s Favorite!

Tman5293

Guest farnsbarns

how do you coil tap a p90

A coil tap isn't actually what every one thinks it is. A coil tap is really a switch that earths a portion of the coil to effectively reduce the number of turns, gives you a thinner country type tone. Some would say closer to acoustic tone.

I know literally EVERYONE uses the term to describe the switching off of a coil in a HB but that is actually wrong strictly speaking.

how do you coil tap a p90

Believe it or not coil tapping and coil splitting are two different things.

Coil Tap is when you effectively reduce the number of winding in the pickup thus making it a lower output.

Coil Split is when you break down a humbucker into a single coil.

From what I have read coil taps rarely ever sound that great, so it might be something to look into, not 100% with a P90 as I have NEVER played a guitar with that pickup...yet!

I have faded kodaks of my 66, I will attempt to scan them into one of these infernal machines over the weekend.

I should have kept it but did not. Bad bad bad pickups, never potted, thing was a hot noise mess. Left a bar after first set went home and got strat to finish the night, put the Firebird away and traded it sometime later, 1977 sometime I guess. I should NEVER have traded that thing, they have had a few at Philly Phall, one could have been mine even, 2800, 3000 dollars, late 90's I saw them.

I hope some of you get one, it will be fun. I don't really much care for P90s so I'll probably pass.

Who'mi kiddin. It would hurt, it really would. I'll just sigh and remember.

rct

I want one, badly. Gem Archer of Beady Eye has one and the sounds that come out of it are pure nirvana.

Beady Eye, eh? I would like to have one of those, unfortunately it's not top of the list of what I want/need.

This guitar looks seriously desirable, indicating that Gibson are trying hard to offer interesting new guitars

I'll definitely test one when available

The 'coil tap' sounds crude and IMO probably won't alter the tone much, but I am willing to be corrected when I hear it...

I have coil tap on a few H/B equipped guitars and generally they work OK if one has not the opportunity to switch to a Tele or Strat etc

It can be effective to preset a guitar thus...coil tap on neck P/U clean with delay and chorus

Switching to thick O/D bridge H/B for power chords and/or sustain solo....

V

:-({|=

Wow that looks sweeeeeeeeeeet. GAS.

I'm with retro though, I would prefer 2 pickups. Do they have a 2 pickup version? Not that I can afford one oranything, just wanna drool over it.

Nope. So far this is the only Non Reverse Firebird.

I never liked the look of the non reverse Firebirds,my favourite Gibson of all is the reverse Firebird VII with the Maestro,I could've bought one for $400-a '64-in 1975 but didn't have the presence of mind to take out a loan to get it.That's a mistake I'll always kick myself for especially when at the same time I could've got a package deal of the Firebird and a factory custom '69 Marshall 1959 Plexi with white "Elephant Hide"Tolex and Blue grill cloth for "$1,200 and that was with 2 100W 1960 cabs.

I never liked the look of the non reverse Firebirds,my favourite Gibson of all is the reverse Firebird VII with the Maestro,I could've bought one for $400-a '64-in 1975 but didn't have the presence of mind to take out a loan to get it.That's a mistake I'll always kick myself for especially when at the same time I could've got a package deal of the Firebird and a factory custom '69 Marshall 1959 Plexi with white "Elephant Hide"Tolex and Blue grill cloth for "$1,200 and that was with 2 100W 1960 cabs.

Can I help you kick yourself? How could you miss out on something like that!? msp_scared.gif

I've been digging on em ever since the Gallagher brothers split (yet again), some pretty good stuff.

After weeks of dragging my feet, i'm gonna pick up the album this weekend. Too many killer tracks not to.

Why didn't you tell me that it's the coolest sounding fuzz ever?

You didn't ask. I love mine even if it sounds like a thirty year old pedal. It's brighter and grittier than a Fuzz Face and nails that "I Wanna Be Your Dog" sound.

A clone should be pretty sweet and cleaner than mine. Fuzzy said he was going to make one so I'd love to do a side by side.

Archived