Gibson Brands Forums

Mothballs Ina guitar case ?

WMcPhee89

Hey folks, my buddy and I were mulling over case conditioning and whatknot.

And he mentioned mothballs to draw out moisture and will also ward off wood mites. We have issues here in Ontario Canada with changing seasons.

I've always used the humidi PAC deals but they're getting pricey and my wages haven't gone up in a while so I'm looking for alternatives . Besides controlling a room which isn't an option right now.

What do you folks use to "condition or climatize"

you cases?? Both electric and acoustics.

Your guitars are comfortable when you are comfortable. If your house is comfortable, leave them out, they'll be fine. If your house isn't comfortable, leave them in their cases until you are. Much fuss and nonsense about guitars and the weather. Mine have lived through long winter weeks in trunks of 68 Falcons, long months in garage second floors, literally decades in basements and attics. Trust me, they'll be fine.

Sure, there are exceptions and sure, SOMEbody that lives in The Gobi Desert will be along any minute now with stern and dire warnings but really, for the most part, they'll be fine. Many many places have the same and even greater swings of the hygrometer and thermometer through the seasons, and guitars just continue to live on.

Wood mites? Really? If you are worried about such a thing, you either got way bigger problems than can be dealt with here, or you need to leave the bong unlit for a couple days.

As for the moth balls, not a great idea at all, yer guitars will stink forever and here is one instance where I actually will use the dreaded "resale value" in a sentence, cause any guitar the stinks forever of mothballs ain't got none of that resale value stuff.

rct

Guest farnsbarns

^ this. And if you are sure your climate calls for something in the case to suck up moisture (sounds like a bad idea) then use silica gell crystals. They come with most electrical appliances in a tea bag like pouch.

^ this. And if you are sure your climate calls for something in the case to suck up moisture (sounds like a bad idea) then use silica gell crystals. They come with most electrical appliances in a tea bag like pouch.

For electric guitars, a double this from me too on what rct said. And thumbs up on the silica gel crystal packs. You can probably go to any retailer (electronics store or shoe store) and ask if they have extra packs if you are worried about moisture in an empty guitar case. I live in a humid city (Chicago. They built the city on a fresh water swamp) and have had zero issues with guitars being too humidified.

Acoustics are a different animal and you'll want to monitor their humidity level with a hygrometer if you are concerned. Too wet or too dry acoustics will exhibit unpleasant symptoms.

I'm not sure moth balls will pull out moisture. Cedar shavings will accomplish the bug repelling, without the chemical odor of camphor. This is why Grandma stores her quilts in cedar lined chests.

Good info folks, all the same things I thought but if simeone says one thing, why not ask lol.

I'm more making sure I protect my investmints as all my guitars are older then me I don't have the experience or knowledge to back up false claims lol

knowledge is a good thing, a little knowledge is a scary thing. That's why I ask lol common sense says......

Guest farnsbarns

Good info folks, all the same things I thought but if simeone says one thing, why not ask lol.

I'm more making sure I protect my investmints as all my guitars are older then me I don't have the experience or knowledge to back up false claims lol

knowledge is a good thing, a little knowledge is a scary thing. That's why I ask lol common sense says......

Totally agree, it was wise to ask.

There are two types of "mothballs"---naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene. Regardless of which one is used, they both emit chemical vapors which could very well damage a guitar's finish---especially nitrocellulose lacquer. Also, I would not use either of these substances for removing moisture---they stink and will leave the guitar smelling like that for a long time.

Bob

There are two types of "mothballs"---naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene. Regardless of which one is used, they both emit chemical vapors which could very well damage a guitar's finish---especially nitrocellulose lacquer. Also, I would not use either of these substances for removing moisture---they stink and will leave the guitar smelling like that for a long time. ...

+1

I once saw a big moth ball over here, then I saw a moth ball over there..........

It turned out to be a GIANT MOTH....................:rolleyes:[flapper][crying] :unsure: [scared] ..................

'Tain't no such thing as a stupid question here. Just stupid answers...... and boy do we have them! [flapper]

One can get cedar chips from your' kid's guinea pig or gerbil. However, you might want to get ones that haven't been in the cage yet. Also, some of your better pencils are made with cedar for the stick. A pencil sharpener's shavings might work. However, the graphite might get out and into your case. One could also find a cedar tree and cut a few limbs off it and chop them up. A cedar tree kind of looks like a 'simmon tree, only it's a cedar tree. Then there's your richer-than-you neighbor with a cedar deck or yard furniture. You could whittle a handful of shavings off'n his equipment. However, watch out for the dog.

Place the cedar shavings into a cloth bag, then toss into the case.

I'm thinking the shavings might attract moisture too.

In the household good section of your local big box store you will find, surprisingly, near the moth balls, a block of cedar with a coat hanger hook suitable for hanging in your closet. Just take the hook off and attach the block to the inside of your case. I'm thinking on either side of the outside of the glove box. A #6 or #8 x 1 5/8" drywall screw would do the trick. No muss, no fuss and it will probably last a lifetime.

Guest farnsbarns

If anyone in the UK wants a small piece of cedar pm me a postal address. I have a few bits from a cigar humidor project. And yes, cedar will obsorb moisture when humidity is above 50% and release it if humidity is lower. (Kiln dried Spanish cedar that is)

Archived