Gibson Brands Forums

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Has Made A Major Discovery!

Tman5293

I like that. So in a few billion years there will be a species that will discover the last fossilized remains of mankind.

The chances of that happening are really slim. Earth will an uninhabitable barren rock in less than a billion years anyway.

In half of that time if we continue on this course of not using birth control, bacteria continues to get smarter so that medicines will no longer work and finally our total lack of caring for mother earth and it will be over soon.

This is very possible. But I was referring to the fact that in about a half a billion years temperatures on Earth will be more than double what they are now due to the sun increasing in size and energy output.

Dang, why the negativity ????? Anyways, they discovered water ice on Mars a few years ago....Water ice IS water, just sayin'......

Anyways, there is water on the Moon as well.......They WILL find water on Mercury as well............

Heck, they just found that OXYGEN exists out there floating in space...............

None of this really suprises me.......Anyways, cool thread T-man jr............

Dang, why the negativity ????? Anyways, they discovered water ice on Mars a few years ago....Water ice IS water, just sayin'......

Anyways, there is water on the Moon as well.......They WILL find water on Mercury as well............

Heck, they just found that OXYGEN exists out there floating in space...............

None of this really suprises me.......Anyways, cool thread T-man jr............

The fact that it's water in liquid form is the important part. You can find ice just about anywhere in the solar system. That's not hard at all. It's the fact that it's liquid that makes this a major discovery.

Also just thought I'd point out that Mercury is too close to the sun to have water of any kind on it. They have known about oxygen gas clouds in space for quite a while. Not really new info. There's all kinds of different gas clouds in space. In fact they just found one that's bigger than our solar system and comprised almost entirely of alcohol. Super massive stars expel oxygen when they go supernova too.

In half of that time if we continue on this course of not using birth control, bacteria continues to get smarter so that medicines will no longer work and finally our total lack of caring for mother earth and it will be over soon.

and that's a good thing. We've all got it coming.

The fact that it's water in liquid form is the important part. You can find ice just about anywhere in the solar system. That's not hard at all. It's the fact that it's liquid that makes this a major discovery.

Also just thought I'd point out that Mercury is too close to the sun to have water of any kind on it. They have known about oxygen gas clouds in space for quite a while. Not really new info. There's all kinds of different gas clouds in space. In fact they just found one that's bigger than our solar system and comprised almost entirely of alcohol. Super massive stars expel oxygen when they go supernova too.

Um, check the temperature of the dark side of Mercury bud............It's cold....There IS water there.....

Don't let STEVE know about the alcohol clouds...........[crying][flapper] :unsure: .......

I don't see what's special about ice VS liquid water.....Ice becomes water.....duh....water becomes ice....duh.....

My grandaughters know this.................

I also can't wait until the Chinese land on the Moon in a couple years.......Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, check the temperature of the dark side of Mercury bud............It's cold....There IS water there.....

Don't let STEVE know about the alcohol clouds...........[crying][flapper] :unsure: .......

I don't see what's special about ice VS liquid water.....Ice becomes water.....duh....water becomes ice....duh.....

My grandaughters know this.................

I also can't wait until the Chinese land on the Moon in a couple years.......Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well the whole idea, that I don't necessarily agree with, is that liquid water = life. NASA is going to send probes to the water flows and search for microbial life forms. Just so they can say that there is life on Mars.

Well the whole idea, that I don't necessarily agree with, is that liquid water = life. NASA is going to send probes to the water flows and search for microbial life forms. Just so they can say that there is life on Mars.

Life also exists in ice....SOLID ICE..............Life also reproduces and lives in SOLID ICE...........

I also married a woman of solid ice......she was able to reproduce as well.....quite a feat....[scared][blink][lol] ........

Most of my offspring are rather COLD................[huh][sad] :blink: .....All eight of 'em..........[crying] ............

How exciting!!! I bought the newspaper today just because of this!

I don't see that life can ever end - the reason being that as time is infinite; there are never ending throws of the dice, so even if everything ended as we know it, I believe it something similar to what we know as life now would occur again eventually ... plus I think it is very probable what we are calling the beginning as in the definitive beginning of the universe , is possible one of perhaps 10's, 1000's, millions or even never ending beginnings! So in turn 'the end' has happened the same amount of time...

just continual birth, death and rebirth..

Just musings, but love the subject!

Matt

I don't see that life can ever end - the reason being that as time is infinite; there are never ending throws of the dice, so even if everything ended as we know it, I believe it something similar to what we know as life now would occur again eventually ... plus I think it is very probable what we are calling the beginning as in the definitive beginning of the universe , is possible one of perhaps 10's, 1000's, millions or even never ending beginnings! So in turn 'the end' has happened the same amount of time...

Matt

Oh, I'm going to own many more guitars then, hmmm.......OK....I like birth canals......awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Unfortunately this can not be. The universe with eventually come to a frozen, lifeless, end. All stars will eventually die out as the resources required to make new stars diminishes. Eventually the only things left will be black holes with nothing to consume. So they will eventually die as well. Then all you have left is pitch black empty space.

as mentioned, and in keeping with the 'doom and gloom'... population growth needs addressing, way sooner than a billion years from now.

there are coming up on 7 billion people on the planet now: there were just 4 billion peeps in the '70s.

that's a lot of us! [biggrin]

Keep in mind...NASA reports that they have observed POSSIBLE liquid water. This requires much more research and observation before any confirmation happens. Science reporting is often bad and sensationalized to make the public more excited...

Remember, they found water on Mars in 2009 too. :)

http://www.universetoday.com/25712/has-liquid-water-been-detected-on-mars/

Unfortunately this can not be. The universe with eventually come to a frozen, lifeless, end. All stars will eventually die out as the resources required to make new stars diminishes. Eventually the only things left will be black holes with nothing to consume. So they will eventually die as well. Then all you have left is pitch black empty space.

but everything came from nothing to begin with - so something came from nothing which is of course is a logical impossibility [blink] Under this premise, of eternity being available 'for use' (LOL), after the supposed end, then something occurring again, is completely possible isn't it?

Matt

p.s

scientific speculation aside...

Carpe Diem! Seize the day [thumbup] We do know (one hundred percent) that we have this moment right now - and that is to be celebrated!!!!!

A pupils mum bought me a bottle of champagne last week and I was going to squirrel it away for 'a special occasion' and then later I thought Matt, what are you thinking? Now is a special occasion, so I drank it and enjoyed thoroughly [flapper]

Matt

There is life on Mars.

At least what's left of it.

They got their butts kicked when they attacked the first time.

I don't think they're in a position of strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHeZCEFwhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMdC45S79uQ

It's Friday night (beer night here) so I just can't pass this one up. First question: Isn't it rather arrogant of us to consider that we might be the only life forms to exist in the Universe, given the incredible size of it (yes, I do realize that each individual's religious orientation will play a role in your answers to this question)? Also, defining "life forms" can be a problem (at least, for me), given that our only frame of reference is what we have observed on our own planet. Lastly, there's that dilemma of size and time perception. Who's to say that the vastness that is the Universe as we know it, isn't more that a microscopic speck in some other Universe? And that a billion of our years is only a split second to some other coexistent life form?

I'm just wondering . . .

It's Friday night (beer night here) so I just can't pass this one up. First question: Isn't it rather arrogant of us to consider that we might be the only life forms to exist in the Universe, given the incredible size of it (yes, I do realize that each individual's religious orientation will play a role in your answers to this question)? Also, defining "life forms" can be a problem (at least, for me), given that our only frame of reference is what we have observed on our own planet. Lastly, there's that dilemma of size and time perception. Who's to say that the vastness that is the Universe as we know it, isn't more that a microscopic speck in some other Universe? And that a billion of our years is only a split second to some other coexistent life form?

I'm just wondering . . .

I share the exact same point of view as you do. I believe that there are most likely thousands, if not millions, of other planets out there that orbit stars in the habitable zone and could support life. When it comes to defining a life form, I completely understand and agree with what you're saying. It seems like scientists look for life in places that only meet Earth standards. There could very well be life somewhere else that thrives off of completely different substances than water, oxygen, and carbon. For instance, some scientists believe that there may be life that thrives on Saturn's moon, Titan. The only difference is that any life there would be living off of liquid methane instead of liquid water. I think in your second to last point you're referring to what is know as the Multiverse Theory. The idea that our universe exists in some kind of bubble in a space with many other bubbles containing other universes. The only problem with that is there isn't a single shred of proof to support it. However, I do not agree with your last statement. Time is an unchanging constant. What you're proposing is that going to another part of the universe, or even another universe all together, would cause time to somehow either speed up or slow down. You're saying that it's possible that time can be faster or slower in other parts of the universe. This I do not believe to be true.

Archived