Gibson Brands Forums

So I've been getting into Joe Pass lately.

rocketman

All I can say is wow! The man could play like no other. He does it all: great melodies, a bit of shredding, a bit of the blues, great chord changes, and great rhythmic patterns. I've been going through each line of Night and Day. It's a very slow process, but a great learning experience. No matter what style you play, you should learn from this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5uBmznvTgU

I've long been a Joe Pass nut. There's some incredible stuff there.

I'm probably more "into" Pass because he got talked into the solo fingerstyle route stedda more of a combo flatpick jazz picker.

The more I learned about the guy, the more respect both as a musicians (not just guitar player) and human I gained. He's one of the few "big name" musicians I truly wish I'd met beyond the relatively common interfaces one might find in life.

Yeah, Epi has a Joe Pass model, although most of the vids I've seen were with a 175. Other guitars were used too, including one vid with a Fender Jag.

An incredible talent and I've heard a true gentleman. Period.

m

BTW - Here's one of my Pass favorites. I can play it my way but with only about 3 percent of what Pass gets.

For me Joe had the most incredible knowledge and facility on the guitar

Tasteful single lines

And his highly developed walking bass/chord/melody solo performances

Truly inspirational....

There were also some hugely enjoyable tuition videos made where he 'gave away' his knowledge and expertise

For the good of mankind......

V

:-({|=

Wow. I say it time and time again, but jazz musicians are the best musicians around [thumbup] . Few can make a song based around a single guitar sound so dynamic, but Joe Pass really masters it beautifully! Thanks for reminding me- I taught myself Autumn Leaves a while back and happened to forget about him- I might just try tackling this song now.

The same goes for jazz drummers; who can argue with the likes of Joe Morello, Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich being the most stylish and technically refined drummers of all time? Sure, some would say that Bonham is the best drummer of all time (and I LOVE Bonham's playing, he's one of my major influences as a drummer), but without these guys there wouldn't have been a Bonham.

I really went off on tangent there, huh? Oh well.

Archived