Gibson Brands Forums

Have you seen Jefferson Airplane?

Lungimsam

I Wish I could say yes, to this question. But, I missed that

opportunity, in (July, I think) 1967, when visiting my aunt, in

Colorado Springs. They were playing, at The International Center,

at the Broadmoor Hotel complex, and there were no tickets left.

At least, that's what I was told. She worked, at the Hotel, at

that time. ;>b So, I missed them, barely.

CB

That is too bad, man. That sounds like it would have been a neat venue. Sounds small, and you could get up close to watch if it was.

Wait a minute!?!?!??!...

She worked at the hotel?!?!!?

She could have gotten you in to meet them, even if just to let you know the room numbers so you could just "happen" upon them.

Sounds like someone didn't want their nephew to have anything to do with those long haired hippie freaks. Oh no!

That is too bad, man. That sounds like it would have been a neat venue. Sounds small, and you could get up close to watch if it was.

Wait a minute!?!?!??!...

She worked at the hotel?!?!!?

She could have gotten you in to meet them, even if just to let you know the room numbers so you could just "happen" upon them.

Sounds like someone didn't want their nephew to have anything to do with those long haired hippie freaks. Oh no!

LOL, quite possibly. That whole '60's scene, was a mystery, to her.

But, she was a cool lady, all the same.

CB

Saw them at one of the SF venues - Avalon, Wintterlannd - and once outdoors somewhere in the mid 60's. I saw alot of now almost legendary groups back then before we had aany idea they would be legendary.

I also had backstage passes for the Starship "Modern Times" tour in the early 80's.

I saw them at the Salt Palace in SLC on their first farewell tour, I think it was 1971. I knew Micheal J, the local disc jockey who was MC of the show, he let me and my date go to the party after the show at a huge old house. It was surreal! No pun intended....every time I think of that night it reminds me of the Three Dog Night song, Mama Told Me (not to come).... [-X

I saw JA back in the early 70's in Cleveland. Great concert. We had floor seats. The place was packed. At the end of the show, everyone in the place starts chanting White Rabbit, hoping they would play the song as an encore. Grace Slick says, "You want to hear White Rabbit?" "You should have bought the album." She then walks off stage not to return. I saw several shoes thrown on stage and a lot of boos. Go figure. One of the songs that put them on the charts and she refuses to sing it. I still enjoyed the concert.

Kenny V

It's odd, I guess...but, I loved Jefferson Airplane, and had no interest in

Jefferson Starship. The Starship was just too "Pop/Power Balad" slick (and

I don't mean Grace), for me. Over produced, etc. I think they were good,

maybe even great, at what they did....but, it will always be Jefferson

Airplane, that does it, for me.

CB

Saw them at Fillmore West in San Francisco. 1969?

Also on hand was Seigal-Schwall Band, Ace of Cups (an all "girl" band),

and a few others. JA headlined. I believe I paid $2.00!

And here for S&G is a pic of two of the 5 Ace of Cups with two MONSTER guitars

I think the one on the right is a Gibson with a Bigsby. Not so sure of the one on the left.

545w-The_Ace_of_Cups.jpg

They seemed to open a lot shows for Jefferson Airplane.

I provided sound for them in the early 90s, it was kinda' like an unplugged thing, in smaller venues. All save for Grace and Jorma were there, it was a good show- Bekka Bramlett (daughter of Delaney and Bonnie) was taking Grace's place, and she SMOKED!

BTW, the opener was a very good looking young lady, who, had just put her backup band together, and it was her first show outside of LA. I'd never heard of her before, and about a month later, she was everywhere- Her name was Sheryl Crow!.

Archived