Gibson Brands Forums

NPD, yard sale find.

dem00n

Damn, that's a great buy.

Does this mean I've gotta start checkin' out freakin' yard sales?

Well lets see...ive bought a amp, a guitar, pedal and a bunch of picks just from yard sales so...yeah go for it! :D

Before i started playing guitar i remeber seeing guitar's a lot, but thats when i didnt have an interest in them.

Well lets see...ive bought a amp, a guitar, pedal and a bunch of picks just from yard sales so...yeah go for it! :D

Before i started playing guitar i remeber seeing guitar's a lot, but thats when i didnt have an interest in them.

Keep Diggin' there are some where in the neighborhood of 1000 or so original 59' Les Paul's out there somewhere.

blink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

Imagine stumbling across of of those?

That's my next avenue of search for old gear, still looking for a old tone master amp, or some thing similar.

DOD made great sounding distortions, and I think they sound better than the BOSS distortions. The only drawback, is the DOD pedals are really noisy, especially the distortions.

Sense you are building pedals, I wonder what a clone of that using quieter parts would sound like. I would bet truly killer.

If you do, just don't tell people it is your own design by qualified engineers in your basement.

I've been hitting garage sales ever since a guy I work with showed me pictures of the '60s SG he found at an estate sale for $50! blink.gif

Yeah, bargains like that are few and far between, but they are out there . . .

The wife does more garage saleing than me ('specially while I'm at work), so I had a little class with her on what to look for, and when to call me when she finds something she thinks I might be interested in.

I have a DOD FX65 chorus. Its not bad for the 30 dollars I got it for. Its a little bright and boosts volume. Dates from 1988-90. But I'm selling it, as well as my Digitech Rp1000 multi-fx and my Ibanez Airplane Flanger. Anybody want? I'm only selling because Im not into modulation fx anymore ( I don't care for chorus, flangers and phasers kinda get in the way, and I don't need a vibe or tremolo---they would just sit on the board and suck tone. Nowadays I like wah-tuner-od 1-od 2-delay. Nice n' simple ). And I don't like multi fx. Just tell me if ya want one and I'll give an asking price. Fred, ya might like the Dod. It goes crazy. Dod pedals were awesome. Maybe I should try and build a 250 clone. Dub should too. Gearmanndude does. Just screams Yngwie!!!!

I've read about some mods that you can do to a Boss DS-1 to make it sound good. Something about changing everything and removing a diode..

If you can mod a DS-1 to sound good, you can probably find something to make this thing rock. Of course crappy distortion is kinda cool in a way too IMO. I don't even know what this pedal sounds like though I've never played one.

I've read about some mods that you can do to a Boss DS-1 to make it sound good. Something about changing everything and removing a diode..

If you can mod a DS-1 to sound good, you can probably find something to make this thing rock. Of course crappy distortion is kinda cool in a way too IMO. I don't even know what this pedal sounds like though I've never played one.

I found a topic about modding it and i have no idea what the hell these guys are saying. [lol]

Ah...its going to be a long night.

Haha yeah man some of that technical talk just flies over my head. Maybe someday..

I looked it up on YouTube and one of the videos looked pretty promising. The description said it was circuit bent and the comments said stuff like "sounds like diharrea" so you could probly get your $5 worth with that mod right there. Unfortunately the video wouldn't play for me so I may never know haha

Yeah, ill see what i can do. I'll try removing one diode, trying each one and seeing if i get a boost in tone.

I should learn to read schamtics....

Edit: Mabye i should join that pedal forum of yours dub and ask around.

I think if you find the source of the noise, you will really have something there, knowledge and wisdom for your head.

It is a true story that nearly all DOD pedals from that era are noisy, so perhaps that might be a clue.

I think for the most part, everyone liked the sound of those DOD's, but the noise was either a problem in itself, or it was the noise along with the effect that affected the sound.

I think 2 things. 1) If you can eliminate the noise of this pedal, you will not only have a GREAT sounding pedal, but you will also be the man. You will be awesome. 2) As long as it is noisy, it will always have a certain suck factor.

Removing a diode would probably make it louder and cleaner. It might have a cool effect on it.

I was messing around with a pedal I built.. I was missing a resistor when I started building it so I just threw a random one in there that was like 40x the ohms I needed and it sounded pretty *****in. I had no idea what I was doing but I kinda liked it better all ****ed up sounding like that than all generic and conventionally good sounding like it is now haha

So just experiment with stuff like that you might find something really cool.

And yeah you should totally join the DIY section has been really helpful to me.

ilovefuzz

you should check out freestompboxes.org too. Even if you don't join or post or anything, they have a whole bunch of schematics and vero layouts and stuff for sweet pedals. I'm gonna build a DAM Meathead clone using their vero layout. Awwwwhhh yeeuhhhh

Archived