Gibson Brands Forums

Is this finish normal?

ant7629

Hello all

I have a question regarding the finish my new SG Classic. Under certain light, it looks like the lacquer has sunk into the grain of the wood. It feels very smooth to the touch however. These pics make it look more extreme than it is and I purposely held it in position under the light to show the issue. You can see it where the light hits it:

DSC00591.jpg

DSC00590.jpg

Is this normal? My Les Paul has this on the back, but not quite as obvious.

my Gibsons have it on the mahogany... but my mahogany Guilds do not have this and they are Nitro as well... a bit more refined than Gibson. But then again Guild was not producing near as many guitars as Gibson so they probably could give more attention to each unit.

That finish is perfectly normal on Gibson nitro finished guitars. It is possible to make it perfectly flat and smooth by using copious amounts of grain filler before final coats! I like the sinking finish though, thinner and more tactile!

• 1 year later...

Same topic as in my posting http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/63520-current-sg-standards-of-a-little-bit-lower-quality

The SG above is of course OK... As I understand SGs come either in nitro or poly finish and Gibson has changed this? Why these differences, customers cannot rely on certain thIngs...I know there are more important things, but its some kind of interesting to me.

... As I understand SGs come either in nitro or poly finish and Gibson has changed this? ....

AFAIK Gibson only uses nitro.

The goal is a thin finish, not thick (thinner than poly), so you're bound to see some grain sinking on mahogany, especially the faded finishes which are even thinner.

Archived