Gibson Brands Forums

Echoplex?

Sancho Panza

Does anyone on this board own one? I've been reading magazines and seeing that Echoplexes were very "in" in the late 60's (I know that Roky Erickson carried one with him like a baby). There are a few models, can anyone tell what's the difference between them since I have zero knowledge. I know that once you can maneuver it, you can get the craziest sounds out of it.

Does anyone on this board own one? I've been reading magazines and seeing that Echoplexes were very "in" in the late 60's (I know that Roky Erickson carried one with him like a baby). There are a few models, can anyone tell what's the difference between them since I have zero knowledge. I know that once you can maneuver it, you can get the craziest sounds out of it.

I know Jimmy Page used one a good bit. I have even seen one for sale at GC ( used and needing work ) for around $1500. All that said, I am not really familiar with their workings.

I had one...the EP3 and I stupidly sold it years ago, in the early 90s. Man, I wish I kept all the gears I had,.... The only thing I have left for that echoplex is the original tape cartridge....hmmm I wonder how much these are going for? its in mint unused condition and still in the box with papers.

My buddy has had an old Ehco-Plex for over 30 years and we used it exclusively in a few bands we were in together. The Echo-Plex can be pretty temperamental if not treated with kid gloves.I don't know much about the oeration of them as my buddy-quite understandably-wouldn't let anyone near his to adjust it because it was so touchy.All I know that there's very few echo rigs that can come close to the lush enveloping echoes and slapbacks from the EchoPlex.

BTW if you want a high quality delay without the hassles of tapes look for a used Ibanez 1000 or 2000,they can be found going for as low as $125 on ebay etc. and they give bullet-proof reliability plus tape-echo type effects.

I had one in the 70's/80's. Paid $25, and sold it for $45. It's a nice sounding tape echo, although somewhat noisy. Like many players from that period, I wrapped masking tape around the capstan, with a 'lump" on one side. This caused the pitch of the echo to vary, and produced a 'chorus' like effect in addition to delay. However, I can't believe the ungodly prices people are asking for echoplexes nowadays. We were happy to get rid if them for something in which the tape didn't wear out or break mid-show, and that didn't hiss like the devil.

I do still use a tape echo in my studio, using my old Revox B77. A good tip for anyone wanting to use an old 3-head recorder for tape echo is that an 8-track cartridge provides a perfect loop of tape. Just Velcro it to the front panel, pull the tape out and thread it, and off you go- no changing reels every 30 minutes.

I have one... They are their own beast and each is a bit unique. I think there is new stuff that comes close in some aspects but will never nail it. An old Echoplex is similar to an old Marshall where each one has it's own tonal quality and quirks.

Andy

I had one until just a few years a go there a good and maybe even a great pedal, but there not half as good as the reputation they have. I had mine sitting in my studio when a guy that was buying several guitars saw it a he said "He just had to have it" I said sorry it's not for sale, then he named a price he was willing to pay and I said ok well give me a few minutes to find the extra cartridges. [thumbup]

Funny thing about the guy though he has purchased 5-6 guitars, two amps and probably 4 pedals and he's never played anything even to test it. he either just wants me play so he can hear it better or he just says he trusts me? He's a Dentist that does braces and cosmetic repairs even surgery for teeth and he has all the stuff in his private office at work, I wonder if he even plays it or if he is just reliving his youth now that he can afford too?

I had one until just a few years a go there a good and maybe even a great pedal, but there not half as good as the reputation they have. I had mine sitting in my studio when a guy that was buying several guitars saw it a he said "He just had to have it" I said sorry it's not for sale, then he named a price he was willing to pay and I said ok well give me a few minutes to find the extra cartridges. [thumbup]

Funny thing about the guy though he has purchased 5-6 guitars, two amps and probably 4 pedals and he's never played anything even to test it. he either just wants me play so he can hear it better or he just says he trusts me? He's a Dentist that does braces and cosmetic repairs even surgery for teeth and he has all the stuff in his private office at work, I wonder if he even plays it or if he is just reliving his youth now that he can afford too?

It's actually as simple as, " Four out of five dentists recommend echoplexes. "

Archived