Gibson Brands Forums

What was the first thing you played for an audience?

DAS44

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first band (Altered State) played a lot of biker bars so what else can you open with but(Born to be Wild)and "Dam the pusher man". Back in the old days (the early 70's) if you put a few people together to jam seemed the first thing to play was "Wild Thing" gotta dig the Trogs. and those 3 chords.

I really don't remember much about it but it would have been at around age 5 playing something on piano. My best guess would be something like "Long, long ago" or whatever. That kept up until I could quit piano and play trumpet in 4th grade.

m

I really don't remember much about it but it would have been at around age 5 playing something on piano. My best guess would be something like "Long, long ago" or whatever. That kept up until I could quit piano and play trumpet in 4th grade.

m

Milo, I thought your first performance was "Reveille" for Custer's 7th Calvery!

Rob...

Naaaah. Custer was gone by then. Reno served in this area though. Custer was through here in '74, but just passin' through. I could tell you more about Ft. Phil Kearny in the fall of 1867 though... <grin> Carrington took a really bad rap, believe me. Grummond was killed with Fetterman but he wasn't as crazy as sometimes depicted with Fetterman who ignored his orders.

m

Rob...

Naaaah. Custer was gone by then. Reno served in this area though. Custer was through here in '74, but just passin' through. I could tell you more about Ft. Phil Kearny in the fall of 1867 though... <grin> Carrington took a really bad rap, believe me. Grummond was killed with Fetterman but he wasn't as crazy as sometimes depicted with Fetterman who ignored his orders.

m

See? I KNEW you'd know all those guys!

Funny stuff!

Guest farnsbarns

Of all bands, Motorhead's version (!) is the only one with intelligible lyrics.

Back OT, the first thing I played for an audience was "When the Saints Go Marching In" ... on trombone. I have long since lost my chops on horns, though I still revere and exalt my hometown's (New Orleans's) musical preeminence in all its forms through time. [biggrin]

These days I'm playing bass in a garage rock/soul/psych band, but on my own I play tons of swamp pop, 50's N.O. R&B and blues, and a little bit of funk and jazz occasionally. Of course there's always feedback, noise, and country too. (just got my Martin back from the shop! Woo!)

Freddie Lonzo still playing trombone out there? I have happy memories of a long weekend spent in Freddie's company when I was a nipper, 10, 12 maybe. Me and my dad picked him up from Heathrow Airport, took him to three gigs in three nights and dropped him off again! Great Jazz player, really great!

Rob...

Actually Custer's bandmaster was a guy named Felix Vinatieri - yup, an ancestor of NFL kicker Adam...

Felix was not on the 1876 trip into Montana. But... they still have a CD of his compositions at the National Music Museum at the University of South Dakota as performed on period instruments. I just checked their web site. Yes, I have my own copy.

m

Rob...

Actually Custer's bandmaster was a guy named Felix Vinatieri - yup, an ancestor of NFL kicker Adam...

Felix was not on the 1876 trip into Montana. But... they still have a CD of his compositions at the National Music Museum at the University of South Dakota as performed on period instruments. I just checked their web site. Yes, I have my own copy.

m

Cool! But could he play "Smoke On The Water"?

Bob...

I doubt it... Also among Italian immigrants with Custer, btw, was bugler John Martin who probably was born Giovanni Martino.

And... as I've written before, with my full name, you'd discover I was born July 15, 1842, in Vermont and was a musician in the Illinois volunteers after enlisting in August of 1862. <grin>

m

Bob...

I doubt it... Also among Italian immigrants with Custer, btw, was bugler John Martin who probably was born Giovanni Martino.

And... as I've written before, with my full name, you'd discover I was born July 15, 1842, in Vermont and was a musician in the Illinois volunteers after enlisting in August of 1862. <grin>

m

Milo, yes, I remember.... which prompted my original post about you!

Was John Martin with Custer at Little Big Horn? (I KNOW Dustin Hoffman was there!)

Martin was probably the last man to see Custer alive. He was given a dispatch to carry to Benteen and left as Custer prepared to go down the hill toward the village. Martin made it with danger and difficulty, and survived the day.

m

Martin was probably the last man to see Custer alive. He was given a dispatch to carry to Benteen and left as Custer prepared to go down the hill toward the village. Martin made it with danger and difficulty, and survived the day.

m

Where was Milo Davis on "the day"?

Rob...

The way I do the living history thing, in 1876 I mostly was in Washington city working on several recommendations for manuals of changes to be made in both logistics and equipment due to major changes in technology and military priorities of the era at the order of Inspector General Col. Randolph Marcy.

After the Red Cloud War on the Bozeman in the late 1860s - but just a few days ride from Little Big Horn of 1876 note - it was increasingly obvious that cartridge firearms were mandatory along with a better perspective on troop movement. I got involved because the 112th Illinois Infantry where I started in the military had been mounted and dismounted several times and I had been also a writer.

Marcy was especially interesting because his pre war book "The Prairie Traveler" was a best-seller for civilians moving west on the wagon trails as well as a valued tome for any military officer interested in logistics and travel on the frontier. For what it's worth, he was also McClellan's father in law and George was also quite a writer, albeit more along the lines of training, at which he was to me a near genius. "We" still use the McClellan type saddle for any cavalry type things in the US military.

If I may steal a quote from Wikipedia: "Andrew J. Birtle, author of U.S. Army Counterinsurgency and Contingency Operations Doctrine 1860-1941, has described The Prairie Traveler as 'perhaps the single most important work on the conduct of frontier expeditions published under the aegis of the War Department.'”

It was my job to update that with reference to new technology as well as medical advances.

m

Rob...

The way I do the living history thing, in 1876 I mostly was in Washington city working on several recommendations for manuals of changes to be made in both logistics and equipment due to major changes in technology and military priorities of the era at the order of Inspector General Col. Randolph Marcy.

After the Red Cloud War on the Bozeman in the late 1860s - but just a few days ride from Little Big Horn of 1876 note - it was increasingly obvious that cartridge firearms were mandatory along with a better perspective on troop movement. I got involved because the 112th Illinois Infantry where I started in the military had been mounted and dismounted several times and I had been also a writer.

Marcy was especially interesting because his pre war book "The Prairie Traveler" was a best-seller for civilians moving west on the wagon trails as well as a valued tome for any military officer interested in logistics and travel on the frontier. For what it's worth, he was also McClellan's father in law and George was also quite a writer, albeit more along the lines of training, at which he was to me a near genius. "We" still use the McClellan type saddle for any cavalry type things in the US military.

If I may steal a quote from Wikipedia: "Andrew J. Birtle, author of U.S. Army Counterinsurgency and Contingency Operations Doctrine 1860-1941, has described The Prairie Traveler as 'perhaps the single most important work on the conduct of frontier expeditions published under the aegis of the War Department.'”

It was my job to update that with reference to new technology as well as medical advances.

m

Milo, that's a hell of a life you've lived...... before......

Although there were other songs in the program the one I remember was, "The Cat Came Back" in 3rd or 4th grade. Had a solo where I sang the line "With Nails and Dynamite".

First instrumental performance was the Beginning Band standards in 8th Grade.

First Solo Spot was the Trumpet Part to Procol Harum's "Conquistador" that my Band Teacher had arranged for Concert Band.

First Guitar performance was for a 15 minute intermission in my High School's production of the "Pirates of Penzance" my Junior Year. I played Instrumental Versions of Zep-"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", SRV's "Testify", and Zep-"Stairway to Heaven" :rolleyes: (Yeah I know, Stairway).

First "Real" Performance was a couple years later at a Place called "The Loafer". I was 19 and worried about getting carded between sets, lol.

Archived