Gibson Brands Forums

What was the first thing you played for an audience?

DAS44

Thought it might be interesting, what was the first thing you played for an audience that didn't consist of your family and friends? (and if you feel so inclined, how has your taste changed since?)

For me it was a blues-jazz-type style Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk), played the head into it, soloed, then played rhythm for another guy to solo, then another solo and an altered head to close it. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played a Weezer song for my guitar class.

My first thing I played at an actual show was Little Sister by Queens of the Stone Age at a school concert.

The first song I played for an audience (at an actual show that they played money to see) that I wrote was 6 months ago.

EDIT: my tastes have changed like this: way less gain, I still use fuzz, but its few and far between, I usually use it more for a sort of ambience kind of thing, its hard to describe

I don't like playing for crowds yet.

That said, as president of the school's guitar club, I played part of Sweet Child O mine, Back in Black and Highway to Hell for about 750

I kinda messed up SCOM, but recovered for Back in Black etc.

If I had to do it again, I would play Black Dog, Stairway and Django - Joe Bonamassa. All with a backing track though.

I think I messed up SCOM because I broke a string on my Les Paul the night before and had to use a friend's guitar in school. The neck felt odd and the action was terribly high.

I'd like to think if I were playing it on my Les Paul I would have done justice to the song.

Down on the Corner - CCR, at a recital.

I forgot the words and stopped the song and asked everyone to please give me a second while I tried to remember them. My Dad blew a gasket trying not to laugh. 1971-72ish.

Years ago, I used to play in a "Country / Elvis" band called The Stones River Band. My taste at the time was and still is 70's classic rock, but I digressed to this band because my teacher (the singer) talked me into joining. Had some fun and a lot of great memories. It was a great part of my life.

At my wedding (24 years ago), I sat in with the wedding band (No DJ) and we played Johnny B Good.

More recently, I played a RUSH Tribute set with my twin sons at their school and also for a local theater group party.

"Louie, Louie" at 13, in 1963. Still not sure, what those lyrics were(are)? [biggrin]

CB

Of all bands, Motorhead's version (!) is the only one with intelligible lyrics.

Back OT, the first thing I played for an audience was "When the Saints Go Marching In" ... on trombone. I have long since lost my chops on horns, though I still revere and exalt my hometown's (New Orleans's) musical preeminence in all its forms through time. [biggrin]

These days I'm playing bass in a garage rock/soul/psych band, but on my own I play tons of swamp pop, 50's N.O. R&B and blues, and a little bit of funk and jazz occasionally. Of course there's always feedback, noise, and country too. (just got my Martin back from the shop! Woo!)

Selfcomposed instrumental into House of the Rising Sun with way too much distortion through a non-tube amp with two chicks on vocals who couldn't sing if their lifes depended on it.

Overall everything must have sounded like ****, but we were having the time of our lifes. Ftw.

I played the high school variety show when I was in 11th grade. I played 2 classical guitar pieces..."Dee" by Randy Rhoads and "The Spanish Ballad" by I-don't-know-who...

First song performed in a band was probably at a party around 1995 and most likely it was our version of "That'll Be The Day" or maybe "The 1 After 909" by The Beatles. :-k

Archived