Gibson Brands Forums

NGD SJ-200 Standard

Quake

I picked up a long lusted after 2011 SJ-200 Standard last night! I know the pics requirement and will post as soon as I can.

Two questions for the mavens here:

The sunburst has more red around the edges than my '07 AJ (Amazon RW/Adi), which I really like. Do the Vintage Sunbursts vary some?

The bridge has the four pieces of MOP. I see some of the SJ-200's with only two and am curious as to why? I know the originals had four pieces but have lost the reason for the variety.

Anyways, time to play and find my digital camera!

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

The SJ-200 with my '07 AJ (Amazon RW/Adi)

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Congrats . . . . looking forward to yer pics. B)

The bursts will vary - they're done by hand.

The number of "ribbons" on the bridge - some like four, some prefer two. The reason has to do with the extra distance from the saddle to the bridge pins imposed on the four ribbon bridge. This makes for a more obtuse break angle and potential ramping. Here's a recent thread on the subject with pics - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/71753-update-sj-200-bridge-potential-problem/

Thanks for the very helpful link! Makes sense about the bursts being done by hand, which is nice to know.

As for when they use the two ribbon versus the four ribbon; is there any rhyme or reason? Or is this one of the charms about Gibson?

I thought I'd read here a few years ago when I was fixin' to get my SJ200, that the four ribbons appeared on the more expensive versions within this model. The least expensive version, for example, has no MOPs. The $25K version has four with extra fine finishing touches.

The Standard model SJ200 comes with a two ribbon bridge:

SJ200 Standard

The True Vintage model SJ200 comes with a four ribbon bridge:

SJ200 TV

Quake: Does your SJ200 have a pickup installed (Fishman Aura Ellipse) or not? If there is no pickup and a four ribbon bridge, I would assume this is a TV model. If it is a Standard model it will have "Standard" written in script on the TRC. There is no photo of the headstock so I can't tell.

Also, what are the first four digits of your serial number? That will determine its date of birth. :)

Beautiful guitar! Congrats! I can't stop playing mine! [thumbup]

The Standard model SJ200 comes with a two ribbon bridge:

SJ200 Standard

The True Vintage model SJ200 comes with a four ribbon bridge:

SJ200 TV

But the rule can't possibly be that simple -- it's Gibson! The pictured guitar certainly appears to be a Standard -- white label, Tusq saddle (so presumably a pickup, given that it's a 2011) -- but has a 4-ribbon bridge.

Why? There is no why. There's just the fact it was done that way. :)

-- Bob R

Thanks everyone! I've always wanted an SJ-200 and am really glad to have pulled the trigger on this one!

The first five of the SN is 10321, which dates it to Feb.1 of this year. The inspection card was dated 6-30-11. I'm not sure if that means it took five months to be built? It does have the Fishman installed and "Standard" on the TRC.

I called Gibson Customer Service last Friday and they said the specs were for two ribbons on the Standard until 2011, which is now spec'd for four; he had no idea why the change was made though.

Bought it at my local GC; it had only been in the store a week and had very little DNA on it. They had their 15% off coupon and no sales tax in Oregon......

Wow, really no comparison with the AJ, which is Amazon Rosewood and Adirondack (Luthier's Choice). Great to have different arrows in the quiver!

Good to hear the guitar settles with you. Curious about one thing. Have your thought/thoughts about the tuners. Guess the Standard has Grovers. For some this wouldn't be an issue, but for others the big Jumbo calls for tulips.

Personally I need Tulips on my Bird, , , and would swarm for them with a J-200 between my hands.

Then again I feel 45's are made for white buttons - still I'm gettin' used to the Grovers there. The steel mill as i call it -

Em,

Yes, the SJ has the gold Grovers on it. I know the Kluson's are iconic and some of the fancy models have the Imperials. My AJ has nickel open back Waverly's as stock, which is unusual for Gibson?

I'm not real monogamous with guitars (I just really like good ones, no matter who built them) so I have a number of different makers and all sorts of tuners. The Waverly's are real nice, the Gotoh 510's are extremely precise and the Robson tuners from England are awesome (but very pricey). I have a Blueridge (Martin OM-28 copy) that I did change the horrible pot metal tuners to nickel Waverly's, otherwise I leave them alone if they keep in tune.

The only mod's I usually make are the saddle to bone or fossil ivory, then the bridge pins and maybe the nut if I won't use a capo. Sometimes the Micarta or Tusq seems to suit that particular guitar best though. Strings are cheap and the easiest mod anyway.

Okay – You more or less take things as they come. Guess there is a clever point to that. Others – like myself – are fools for tradition, certain styles and individual as well as established aesthetic preferences. I just wouldn't miss the opportunity to turn those Tulips when owning a Bird – silly, admitted - but wonderfully silly.

The Waverlys on the AJ are küühl. I had one a short while and enjoyed the way they work and look. Don't think Gibson uses them much. Now I have 3 on a leaf ornamented gold-plate snakewoods on my 12-fret. Beautiful against the rustic dark hued slotted head.

Anyway, , , as long as it all rolls -

Fascinating that they've changed to a four ribbon bridge on the Standard model. The website does not reflect this change. But the website doesn't have much information in any case. It would be nice to see data such as scale length, nut width, fingerboard radius etc. in with the "features" section to do some real comparison of the different models.

Em,

Snakewood is so cool! I have some bridge pins in snakewood I've not put in yet.

Doug,

Yeah, the guy at GC had no idea about the ribbons, nor did the Gibson Customer Rep. He looked at the 2010 specs and said it called for two ribbons. I think he said the 2011 had 4 ribbons or did not specify? Who knows? I get the impression they have a box of two and four ribbon bridges and it's luck of the draw. [blink]

Em,

Snakewood is so cool! I have some bridge pins in snakewood I've not put in yet.

Doug,

Yeah, the guy at GC had no idea about the ribbons, nor did the Gibson Customer Rep. He looked at the 2010 specs and said it called for two ribbons. I think he said the 2011 had 4 ribbons or did not specify? Who knows? I get the impression they have a box of two and four ribbon bridges and it's luck of the draw. [blink]

Well I'm happy with the two ribbon bridge. Better break angle and you never have to deal with ramping through pearl when the guitar gets older.

Archived