Gibson Brands Forums

The Altered Dominant Pentatonic

Californiaman

So I was thumbing through an old Guitar Player magazine the other day when I came across something in the lessons section.

It's the Altered Dominant Pentatonic. It's different from the traditional form, hence "altered" in that unlike the traditional (root, 2,3,5,b7) it is root, 3,4,5,b7. It closely resembles the Mixolydian mode.

Any way I went over it as it was in the lesson. I kind of like it. I'm sure I can find a place for it in my arsenal.

If you want to try it out check out the link below. I just don't feel like writing out the notes or tab at this time.

Rob Balducci

Looks interesting. I'll give this one a try.

Another variation of a pentatonic scale that I sometimes use, is to play a minor pentatonic, but just play a major 3rd instead of a minor 3rd. I have no idea what the term for this scale is. It just occured to me one day, why do we play so many blues songs using the minor pentatonic scale even when it's a major blues? So I tried the standard box pattern fingering of

1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3,1-4, 1-4 as 1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 2-3, 1-4, 1-4

I never really used it, but then I again I tend not to use pentatonic scales much. The mixolydian scale is very cool though. Lifeson uses it a lot. The beginning of Xanadu and the guitar solo to Tom Sawyer are perfect examples. Also, play a mixolydian on the V chord of a blues to "jazz" it up a bit (my jazz teacher taught me that a long time ago).

I never really used it, but then I again I tend not to use pentatonic scales much. The mixolydian scale is very cool though. Lifeson uses it a lot. The beginning of Xanadu and the guitar solo to Tom Sawyer are perfect examples. Also, play a mixolydian on the V chord of a blues to "jazz" it up a bit (my jazz teacher taught me that a long time ago).

I use the mixolydian scale too.

Thanks for the advice on the V chord for blues to "jazz".

I'll try it.

As far as pentatonic scales. The article I read pointed out that any five note scale is in essence a pentatonic scale (penta meaning five).

Archived