Gibson Brands Forums

just got an email from "paypal"...

S t e v e

telling me that my account has limited fuctions and that i need to log in via the link in the email to "lift" the restrictions...it all looked official but i'm no fool!

i deleted the email and logged into my paypal acc via a secure server/browser and low and behold...my account in fine.

filthy rotten scammers trying to get my log-in info!...be carefull people. [angry]

Paypal, or banks or Credit Cards will never email you to indicate an issue with your account. You will either get a call or a letter.

Always assume scam regardless of how official it looks. For Paypal, do what you did and access your account. Anything else, just give them a call.

Never EVER go into the provided link and put passwords or personal info in.

Unless of course, you're just tired of having that money. In which case, rather than an annonymous give away, I'd be more than happy to take any overflow that is causing distress! [thumbup]

You and me both.

Latest scam I was recipient of was from someone I knew. He indicated he was stuck in Spain and needed about 4000 Euros to pay the hotel bill to get out of the country.

I knew this was a scam as I knew the sender was NOT in Spain.

Bad news for him though. It was a Yahoo account. He did all his banking with that account, all the credit card, bank routing numbers, even his social security number on some documents he sent back and forth to a bank in Montana.

Needless to say he had to cancel the yahoo account, and all, ALL his credit cards, and had to put something on his Social Security number. He said he got the FBI involved, but I don't know if it did much good. My guess is his email address got hacked to surreptitiously send out emails and not much else. The scammers didn't know how stupid this guy was for puting it all out there in the internets. Otherwise they could have taken him for thousands and taken possession of his villa in Montana.

When it goes on the internets, there are NO secrets. Expecially on a free email service.

Paypal..........I needed to re-activate my account.....Lost my secret word code sh*t stuff.......I spent days trying to reopen my account....

I gave up......Interestingly, they said I needed my routing #, and said if I spoke to them in person, they'd fix the problem....Something

about SUPER SECURITY FOR OUR MEMBERS......So, I opened up a new account through my girlfriend's email....We tried to set

it up using MY credit card....OOPS !!!! Couldn't find my routing #.......So, we set it up using HER credit card.....No problem.............

TWO HOURS LATER, I make a paypal payment........WTF, I mean, WTF; Paypal USED MY CREDIT CARD #, NOT HERS, and yet,

I never gave them my new credit card routing #..................................WTF..........................................................................................

You and me both.

Latest scam I was recipient of was from someone I knew. He indicated he was stuck in Spain and needed about 4000 Euros to pay the hotel bill to get out of the country.

I knew this was a scam as I knew the sender was NOT in Spain.

Bad news for him though. It was a Yahoo account. He did all his banking with that account, all the credit card, bank routing numbers, even his social security number on some documents he sent back and forth to a bank in Montana.

Needless to say he had to cancel the yahoo account, and all, ALL his credit cards, and had to put something on his Social Security number. He said he got the FBI involved, but I don't know if it did much good. My guess is his email address got hacked to surreptitiously send out emails and not much else. The scammers didn't know how stupid this guy was for puting it all out there in the internets. Otherwise they could have taken him for thousands and taken possession of his villa in Montana.

When it goes on the internets, there are NO secrets. Expecially on a free email service.

It doesn't matter what email service it is or whether it's paid for or free, keeping that sort of info in your email folders is just stupid. I work for an ISP doing tech support and see this sort of thing all the time. I just find it rediculous how people not only put sensitive info into a file in their email account with a weak password but also THEY ASSUME THERE'S NO NEED FOR A BACKUP AND THEN SAY IT'S OUR FAULT WHEN INFO GET'S LOST... that is until you respond with "you mean you didn't keep a backup of those important files?".

Sadly, when phishing emails like this are received, there are obviously enough people falling for it to make it worth doing or they wouldn't keep sending this BS out there.

A well worthy topic

Good to share horror stories for the good of mankind

It would be tempting to become Luddite like my guitar tech who persists in having no PC or interest therein

But IMO the world of IT is too valuable and useful to not engage with

Wishing everyone 'safe surfing'.....beware the sharks !!

V

:-({|=

Archived