Gibson Brands Forums

so, who realy gave us rock n roll?

S t e v e

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before The King.... Before Rocket 88..... Before Fats...... there was:

Yup, Beethoven was a radical in his time. At once derided and applauded for his musical innovations. Not bad from a deaf man.

A lotta "classical" musicians were considered heart throbs of the era. Chopin, Liszt...

"We" tend to think of the olden days as filled with film characters with no human reality. That's a major error, IMHO. Those folks knew how to "Rock and Roll" even if the music was quite different...

m

A lotta "classical" musicians were considered heart throbs of the era. Chopin, Liszt...

"We" tend to think of the olden days as filled with film characters with no human reality. That's a major error, IMHO. Those folks knew how to "Rock and Roll" even if the music was quite different...

m

+1

i'm sticking to my original thought.

there is after all, only one king [flapper]

[laugh]

he may not have started it, but he was a huge part of making rock & roll mainstream.

Well, he did have the advantage of being white.

Chuck Berry bridged the gap and Rock n' Roll came to be.

Sure theere were other guys around playing their pianos really hard but Chuck broought it on with his guitar on a consistent basis not just one song here and there.

God made everything possible, so if anyone comes up with an idea it can be traced to God who made it possible for him to think that out.

But God gave us the gift of free will. So it probably was Chuck Berry!!! [-o<

But, wait a minute... If God did give us free will, then it was HIS choice to do so! Meaning any idea can indeed be traced back to HIM, and it's all part of a masterplan!

I Don't think anyone can win this argument ](*,)' And I feel really confused, scared and insignificant :unsure:

<grin> Hmmmm. Maybe Pat Boone was really Chuck Berry in drag?

m

Not sure about that....but wasn't Little Richard really Pat Boone in drag?

I know Little Richard intentionally recorded "Tutti Fruti" so Pat Boone WOULDN'T re-do it...but he did anyway!

Ziggie...

One thing I love about a lot of much of the newer "cowboy" music is that it is so filled with metaphor. I think that search for meaning in metaphor, though, does have a tendency to come to most musicians after a certain point in life where the literal has been explored and further expression comes only from allusion.

The old blues guys got it too. IMHO.

Even the music itself in a number of styles has managed to bring allusion without words.

I think perhaps that if Plato and Aristotle were to be with us today as quality guitar pickers, Plato would be the BB King or Chet Atkins in playing well, but with subtle nuances; Aristotle with perhaps more developed technical skill but following formulas... Just a thought.

One thing about Plato was his recognition in that parable of the cave, "we" don't always find it comfortable to take a paradigm change into our heads, and that just one sort of paradigm change still does not take one out of the cave...

m

Yup, Beethoven was a radical in his time. At once derided and applauded for his musical innovations. Not bad from a deaf man.

Hi Tommy

He has enjoyed of course enduring popularity - and is one of the 'big three' when people speak of the greatest composers, but I am not sure I agree he was derided in his day. From the little I know of Beethoven, he enjoyed a lot of success in his lifetime having works performed and published etc, receiving more good reports of his music than the contrary. He wasn't the tortured soul of someone like the painter Van Gogh, who was completely over looked :(

Matt

One thing about Plato was his recognition in that parable of the cave, "we" don't always find it comfortable to take a paradigm change into our heads, and that just one sort of paradigm change still does not take one out of the cave...

An interesting implication of the allegory of the cave and the extension of that allegory with the allegory of the sun is that there might be a source of light beyond that of the sun. Man, we're dredging up stuff I read over 35 years ago!

I'd like to think that the metaphor in song is intentional in all cases, but it likely takes a person who has come out of the cave to write it and to perceive it. And I suppose it is possible to find metaphor in any lyric.

I think Daryl nailed it.

Beethoven never married, but was fond of the ladies. His "immortal Beloved" is thought to have been a married woman. He had family problems. He fought to gain legal custody of his dead brother's son from his sister-in-law. He loved to fish. Went, slowly, stone cold deaf. Some of his greatest symphonies, he never heard. For a musician, that had to be devastating.

Beethoven never married, but was fond of the ladies. His "immortal Beloved" is thought to have been a married woman. He had family problems. He fought to gain legal custody of his dead brother's son from his sister-in-law. He loved to fish. Went, slowly, stone cold deaf. Some of his greatest symphonies, he never heard. For a musician, that had to be devastating.

Ahh I see what you mean Tommy, I read it as 'derided' being a lack of success, now I understand, thanks for clarifying...

Something that I found fascinating about Beethoven was reading about his interest in Eastern religion and also a humanist philosophy. I assumed from the very traditional religious works he had composed and the era he was from, that he would have held more conventional religious views of the time.

Matt

Because of the simplicity of the music (rock n roll) and the various musics that have sprouted from it and dominate the media and society today (pop culture), I am more inclined to cite folk music with it's repetitive and simple chord progressions and it's 'easy on the emotions' themes etc, to be contain more musical DNA than the classical composers in being 'the first' rock n roll.

Matt

Matt...

// I agree entirely about folk music being the technical foundation for rock, but as far as the "musical idols" of earlier times, it was the folks doing what most people today consider "classical."

So... culturally starting with recordings and moving into broadcast (consider Internet as "broadcast" for this purpose), we've gone step by step into rock/country sorts of things for our popular music.

As for considering eastern religions, philosophy, etc., the early Baroque era through the Classical era also was "The Enlightenment." More and more "ordinary people" were finding access to such things and "tolerance" rather than torture and beheading was increasingly the European perspective on philosophy and religion.

"Europeans" were sick and tired of battling over religion by the end of the 1600s. The freedoms then offered a fertile ground for the enlightenment... Those books on philosophy, government, etc., the first true English language dictionary and parallels elsewhere, the conversion of alchemy to chemistry and astrology to astronomy, development of physics as we know it etc., etc., etc.

It was still a hugely different lifestyle, but those centuries in had in common with today an explosion of all sorts of knowledge and technology that were just as difficult for folks then to keep up with as some of our tech and research are today.

m

Matt...

// I agree entirely about folk music being the technical foundation for rock, but as far as the "musical idols" of earlier times, it was the folks doing what most people today consider "classical."

Milo

Hmmm that is very true, when I was in my early teens and discovering and reading about all these giants of classical music, I read in my discovering classical music book, about how women would leave wet patches in their seats at a liszt performance. I thought why is that, did they wet themselves?? LOL

Most of the Bond innuendos went over my head up until my own age of enlightenment [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Matt

Archived