Gibson Brands Forums

Need advise with band direction

callen3615

Hi guys, I have been in a band for about 5 months now. We play hard rock/classic rock. I have been playing guitar for awhile, just never had a band. We are a cover band. Our singer and bassist have intense work schedules and cant make it to practice but about 2-4 times a month. Everyone in the band except the drummer are new to the whole band thing. We are just weekend warriors. We arnt professional musicians, this is just our hobby. Weve got about 15 songs and we are dying to play out somewhere. We had an indepth discussion with our more experianced drummer. He is oppossed to playing open mic nights or short sets. He said it was a waste of time. I think he wants to get paid, i could care less. He made it sound like you need 60-70 songs before we can play out. I dont see us ever getting that many songs, it would take 1-2 years at this rate. I have school 5 days a week and I work 4 days a week. Our drummer is the only unemployed person in the band. We are thinking of dropping our drummer for a person who would be down with more laid back sets. So is it true that if your a cover band you have to play 3-5 sets to get a gig? Are there no bars/clubs that would have multiple bands playing a night with several respective sets? Should I just hang it up or what? After our last discussion im pretty bummed, ive put alot of time/money into this.

Thanks for the help

I think you should all be equal. It's no good if some members can only do a few times a month. I'd say 3 full rehearsals a week is about right, with perhaps guitarists (if two) working one an extra night together on their parts and whoever writes/ guitar plus singer going over vocals on another night. I'd personally say over rehearsal is bad. About two months of rehearsal is ample to gig. Do one song at a time. when that's ok, move onto the next. Then each rehearsal, play the finished song/s once then work on new stuff. If anyone slacks. Change them. If you think your ready/not ready to gig. Ask someone honest to come and watch and give their opinion.

Good luck.

Getting a band together is a challenge and can be great fun....

Things to consider....

People have different demands on their time...family...the day job...

Different skill levels, experience and ambition

Some bands seem to rehearse for ever...it takes extra energy and some hustling to get gigs

Some rehearsal studios offer an open stage and bar to invite friends to for a mock gig

Charities have friendly party nights which welcome a free band (more experience and maybe a paid gig offer)

Keep working at it....

V

:-({|=

While I am just guessing at gigging out since I don't do covers, AFAIK most cover bands are expected to play two ninety minute sets. I would just write my own material and start playing open mics and dive bars, but it's your band.

Regarding your band, you need to get a group where everyone is on the same page. One bad apple will spoil the whole bunch. Trust me. I've been there. If all of the guys have lives (careers, wives, kids, mortgages, etc) then you should be OK. If one guy works a straight job and has nothing else going on or is a general bohemian, they you'll have to make a choice.

While I am just guessing at gigging out since I don't do covers, AFAIK most cover bands are expected to play two ninety minute sets. I would just write my own material and start playing open mics and dive bars, but it's your band.

Regarding your band, you need to get a group where everyone is on the same page. One bad apple will spoil the whole bunch. Trust me. I've been there. If all of the guys have lives (careers, wives, kids, mortgages, etc) then you should be OK. If one guy works a straight job and has nothing else going on or is a general bohemian, they you'll have to make a choice.

word. most cover band people i talk to or know, have about 50 songs or so in their repoitroire (don't mind me, I've been drinking) so 2-90 minute sets or 3-1 hour sets is about the average I guess.

Originals and playing scummy bars is where its at though.

And you say bohemian like its a bad thing [thumbdn]

And you say bohemian like its a bad thing [thumbdn]

It is more jealousy. Never been able to swing the lifestyle; not cool enough. And a lot of bohemians I have known get annoying after they mooch off you for the hundredth time.

It is more jealousy. Never been able to swing the lifestyle; not cool enough. And a lot of bohemians I have known get annoying after they mooch off you for the hundredth time.

truth. i don't bum **** off of people, never could. know a lot of people that do, and i hate it.

I'm a bohunk so I hate that it all gets grouped in together

Your drummer and you seem to be on different pages......This won't do......It doesn't matter if he's a great drummer;

You may want to replace him, and if possible, remain friends and co-musicians..........

I too, am in a "weekend warrior" type band, that's been together for 2 years, now.

We play every opportunity, we can. Yes, we get paid for it. There's no real reason,

to "play out," without that. We can play for friends, and ourselves, for free. We

play in local and area bars, clubs, for private parties, and city functions, as well.

We live in "the sticks," so most all gigs, require some travel, to and from. Some

occasions might require a motel, afterward. That is always figured into the price!

We're not out to be "stars," or even make a "living" at it...It's mostly just because

we really love playing. BUT, all those venues make a lot more money, when a band is

playing, than they do, without one...for the most part. There's always an "off night,"

once in awhile. But, to be honest, that doesn't happen, much at all, anymore.

The one critical thing, for us...is that we all get along, and have, from the get go.

And, we are on the same page, musically. Each member has equal say, about what songs

we want to do. And, we use the majority rules, way of making the final decisions.

It's worked out very well, for us. When a song is decided on, we practice our parts,

individually, at home, and then polish them, together, at rehearsal(s). Because we

all live in seperate towns, out here...rehearsals are not as often, as any of us, would

like. So, we make the best of the time(s) we have, together, by being well prepared,

individually.

Good luck, with your band, and it's efforts! When it works, it's a LOT of Fun!

CB

A drummer without a real job what a shock! Honestly get used to it drummers are just like that.

A band that's going to play covers commercially has to be able to play enough songs to fill the number of sets needed with music, but 15-20 songs is a good start and you can take your time build on that if your not trying to make a living at it. The key requirement though is that everybody has to be in the same place and have the same expectations. So if your a party band in it just to have fun that's fine, but your drummer (or anybody else that's wants much more) is gonna be miserable and make everybody else miserable also.

Have you all set down and really discussed your goals and where you want to be with your music and where this band is headed? If not do it now before you waste more time and end up hating each other. I have a good friend that plays in three different bands right now exactly because of this, he wants to play full time still so he does, but it takes three bands to do it. It's pretty funny when it is a big party or event and he ends up playing set's with more than one band in a evening.

Make a written list of all the songs you guys can play though, you might be really surprised at the number you really do know. I never really thought about how many covers I could really play until I started doing solo acoustic shows at hotel bars and busking at art shows and similar events where people can request songs. I'm still not sure what the total number is, but I can play a three hour set without any worries and I can probably play 80% of the requests I get and the ones I can't play I can play something close enough to make the person asking happy.

Thanks guys,

Its not that I dont want to be able to play all night, its just along way away and others in the band are losing patience quick. They just want to get out of our drummers basement and play for people. I would love to write original stuff, but I also want to entertain people so I guess theres a happy medium in there.

Thanks

I think CB's comments are pretty good.

For what it's worth, I've worked pickup bands on occasion over the past 40-plus years and if the guys have sufficient common knowledge of relatively simple rock/blues songs, they can make it work even as a one-off meet in the saloon to play a gig as long as there's not an expectation of note-for-note "cover" style that I don't care much for anyway.

Bill knows words for this 3-4 chord song and the other guys know the tune and are versatile to play in a given key... go for it.

OTOH, you have to have everybody pretty much on the same stylistic page in their heads. I guess you could suggest it can work or not, depending.

m

If your drummer has more professional experience than the rest of the band and if his lack of employment is making him want to find only well paying gigs...then that's the kind of band he should go find.

If the rest of you are all on or near the same page, I would say, yes, it may be a good idea to find another band or two you can team up with so that you can cover a whole night's worth of playing. Just get out there and have some fun!

For years I played with people who thought they were more serious or more committed or more professional or whatever and as of right now....they're no more famous than I am ;)

Both Charlie Brown and Milod have said more eloquently what I would have said.

I've been playing in weekend warrior/party bands since the 90s. With a few exceptions I have practiced at most once a week with band. One band I currently play with has had exactly 1 practice together, although we've played about 20 gigs. We all know our parts individually or can improvise as long as we know what key we are playing in. It might be different if I thought I was playing to make a living.

I think your drummer is on a different page than the rest of you and it might be best to go separate ways. It's not about either of you being right or wrong. You just have different expectations.

When my band was first starting out I was the impatient one in the group. What helped for us was when a friend had asked if we wanted to open for them at an upcoming gig. We only had 10 songs but that was plenty to open with. As our list grew we were able to play out as the main act and not be an opening act anymore. I feel that having a gig on the books was a good kick in the pants to get everyone going to be prepared. After that first gig everyone was hooked and we really pushed to do better.

We had a similar situation recently with our last drummer. He decided 6 days before a gig (a charity show to benifit the childrens hospital) that he had to quit the band because he is a "working drummer" and can't be tied down to any one band. Basically he was in it for the money and wasn't getting enough from our gigs i guess. Last minute he did have a change of heart and did the gig but still left the band.

In my experience it's best to lay everything out now and see what everyone wants out of the band so you dont get left high and dry a few days before a big gig. You dont want to tarnish your reputation by having to cancel at the last minute.

I do NOT disagree with what most have said here, but I just have a different view to consider.

For most gigs I have experienced, you do have to have 3-5 hours of materiel because that is how long the gig usually is for a bar gig. If the drummer is experienced and is saying that, he could be coming from the point of view that it isn't worth it because even if you were great and got interest or asked to do more gigs, chances are you would have to turn them down. And in a lot of ways, it is just as much effort to do an hour gig as a 3 hour gig, (preparations of the band and equipment, scheduling).

It isn't really as hard as it seems to get that much materiel-the first hour is the hardest. After that, it usually gets easier because you have all learned how to go about putting together a song and rehearsal becomes faster and easier. So, don't view it as a matter of years.

Putting aside the refusal to gig short sets (why not? really?), unless the guy is a jerk and making life suck, or holding you back, you should not really fire him because of what you COULD do. For example, if a guy has a schedule that prevents him from making practice, but he is still able to keep up and do the job well, he is still holding down his end and not really holding anyone back.

If the 3 of you have no gigs, he isn't refusing a gig. If you seek them and have some you could do but can't because he won't, THEN you need a drummer, but still there is no reason to stop playing with him or being friends if you find someone to do what he doesn't want to.

As it is now, you haven't wasted your time with him or lost any time: you have learned how to play 15 songs and got some practice and fun. That does not go away or change when he decides to quit. As long as he has not left you in a spot or ruined something by not fulfilling commitments, there is no reason to feel any bad feelings.

IF..your drummer, is not on your wavelength, a change may be in order?

But, if you do that, keep it friendly, and open ended. Things change,

constantly. Bands, do too. The more variety of players, you have access

to, the more chances of a success, or even several. Players, here...myself

included, play in 1 or 2 other bands, in addition to our "regular" band(s).

We, almost, have to...to keep playing out, enough. And, we all know each

other's bands, anyway. It makes it more interesting, and we (all) are less

inclined, to get into musical "ruts," that way. We even (often) go to one

another's gigs, to support them, and they, us. So, have fun, by all means,

but try not to get too hung up, on any one band. There are those, who stay

together, for a long time, and (many more) other's, that are more fluid, in

both members, and music styles. So, try to keep all your options "open."

Cheers, and good luck!

CB

Archived