Gibson Brands Forums

New low priced fenders.

dem00n

I don't know why anyone would buy a U.S. built Fender anymore. To me they have destroied their U.S. brand. I think I like the P-90 jag but the rest of this batch dosn't do much for me. I like the Pawn Shop collection better I think.

MIM Fenders are very well built. The only Fenders I like are Teles, Jaguars and Jazzmasters, and Fender ruined the Jaguars and Jazzmasters in the MIM line by messing with the angle of the tremolo and the bridge, I need my janglies! Can't get no janglies with the MIMs (well not as much)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying all Fender lines made outside USA are crap - some are and some aren't.

The more expensive MIM models don't have a lot of difference from the USA's... all depends on what you're after in terms of sound, playability and features. Often times swapping out the pickups of a MIM with something else will get you a guitar that's perfect for gigging.

Personally, I like to buy a guitar that has the sound I want without having to mod it. The American Deluxe strat fit that criteria. I was after either an Artist Series Clapton or Beck model but couldn't find one anywhere and didn't want to order it because I would have been back home by the time it arrived and didn't want the hassle of shipping it back if it wasn't to my liking. Even though it doesn't achieve the advantages of either the Clapton (diverse selection of tones) or the Beck (tuning stability) with the exact same features; it's S1 switching system gets me the tonal versatility and the Locking Tuners get me the tuning stability. I've had the guitar for a week now and only had to tune it the first time I played it after getting off the plane and plugging into my own rig at home.

I would have also considered the Buddy Guy model (which I'm sure at under $1000 is a MIM model); but it didn't have all the features I wanted like the American Deluxe.

FWIW I probably love Gibson/Fender on a 60/40 basis

I particularly like the USA aspect to Gibsons...and their longer lineage back to early 1900's

There are some great characterful designs from Fender...albeit with a majority of S/C sounds and Maple necks....

V

:-({|=

Homz told you to? [flapper]

No, who's Homz? [confused]

Henry and me have coffee on Tuesdays, and he told me about their diabolical plan. They set up the whole wood thing with the government as a distraction from really making SGs in china.

And Hollowbodies are made in canada. Where have you been?

I've owned a lot of Fenders over the years. A 72 Tele Custom (real, not a reissue) a early MIM Strat, an American 62 reissue P-Bass, a 1991 American Standard Tele, a Squire Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V, a 1966 Fender Mustang and a Sguire Bullet strat. I've played a lot of the new Squires and I just can't see spending $1000 for a Tele when I can get a MIM one for $399 or a Squire for $199. It's not likely that I will ever pay for another American Fender. I just don't see the point.

Some say the same thing about Gibson and Epiphone though. To each their own. [thumbup]

What I've found over the years is that a great American Fender will feel like a big step up over it's Mexican counterparts. That said you have to look too, just like many other manufacturers there will be guitars that speak to you and others that don't and they can be the exact same model. I know the American Special Stratocaster I picked up recently was the best Strat for me out of all of the American Standards, Deluxes, Worn series and a few others.

In my opinion Japan and America lead the way with 'brand made' electric guitars. As far as Fender go though, I have always favoured Fender Japan over Fender Mexico and Fender USA made electric guitars.

Matt

Fender Japan is awesome. However, they lack in a few ways. Mainly for the jazzmasters because their pickups are downright terrible and the tremolo is meh. However, they have way cooler colors and stuff like that

Fender Japan is awesome. However, they lack in a few ways. Mainly for the jazzmasters because their pickups are downright terrible and the tremolo is meh. However, they have way cooler colors and stuff like that

hmm interesting - the tremolos on jazz masters in general aren't exactly a delight [flapper] - I just thought the 'undelightfulness' of most jazzmasters was the norm... lol Yes, 'the herd' (aka the borg) tend to have the common view that the pick ups on the Japanese normal run Jazzmasters benefit from being replaced.

The 80's Japanese Squier stuff is great - but to be honest all Japanese Fender I have played are pretty damn awesome - their domestic market in particular blows many of the USA guitars out the water

日本のギターはロックしている! Japanese guitars rock!

Matt

hmm interesting - the tremolos on jazz masters in general aren't exactly a delight [flapper] - I just thought the 'undelightfulness' of most jazzmasters was the norm... lol Yes, 'the herd' (aka the borg) tend to have the common view that the pick ups on the Japanese normal run Jazzmasters benefit from being replaced.

The 80's Japanese Squier stuff is great - but to be honest all Japanese Fender I have played are pretty damn awesome - their domestic market in particular blows many of the USA guitars out the water

日本のギターはロックしている! Japanese guitars rock!

Matt

their hardware is cheap, i love their craftsmanship though.

I'm a jazzmaster fanboy, so I like the trems... but then again, I often like a lot of stuff people find weird lol

their hardware is cheap, i love their craftsmanship though.

It depends on what model you buy to be honest. Just like Gibson have their lower priced models where they cut corners, so do Fender Japan. There are some dealers in the U.K that can get hold of their domestic market Fender instruments which often offer the best of both worlds; i.e Fender custom shop pick ups combined a finely crafted instrument.

http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/

Matt

Buddy of mine just picked up a Tele Squier for $165, including shipping. No string thru body and frets are a little rough, but otherwise, a really great deal. Sounds pretty good, too. Nice jazz sounds on the neck pick-up.

I played an older MIJ Strat at a local music store on Tuesday. Hot damn, it was actually one of the best guitars I've played in my life. The feel was awesome, the neck was great and of course it looked beautiful and had an awesome clear finish that I could see the beautiful slab of wood through. I ran it through an Orange AD30, and it was all sorts of heaven. I actually liked the pickups--they were a little "ragged" and "woolly"-sounding. The amp had a lot to do with that, of course, but it just goes to show you that, with a good amp, even a cheap guitar can sound amazing.

Still saving up for my Explorer Tremolo, but I may in fact cut into those savings to pick up that Strat.

I played an older MIJ Strat at a local music store on Tuesday. Hot damn, it was actually one of the best guitars I've played in my life. The feel was awesome, the neck was great and of course it looked beautiful and had an awesome clear finish that I could see the beautiful slab of wood through. I ran it through an Orange AD30, and it was all sorts of heaven. I actually liked the pickups--they were a little "ragged" and "woolly"-sounding. The amp had a lot to do with that, of course, but it just goes to show you that, with a good amp, even a cheap guitar can sound amazing.

Still saving up for my Explorer Tremolo, but I may in fact cut into those savings to pick up that Strat.

Well I have a MIJ strat and I love te neck. I was mainly talking about how the Japanese jazzmaster pickups suck. It's just like a rehoused strat pickup I believe

Well I have a MIJ strat and I love te neck. I was mainly talking about how the Japanese jazzmaster pickups suck. It's just like a rehoused strat pickup I believe

Au contraire mon ami...

The MIJ Jazzmaster is a wonderful thing...great P90-esque PU's with character and beef

Quite different to the Strat....

V

Au contraire mon ami...

The MIJ Jazzmaster is a wonderful thing...great P90-esque PU's with character and beef

Quite different to the Strat....

V

what? All of the ones (3) I have played were real thin and toneless, much like a strat. not like a normal jazzmaster pickup...

Archived