Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Forum.

Steven Tari

First Measure...

Two quotes from Satchel Paige who, although I'm not really a baseball fan, was still pitching in the major leagues at age 60 or quite probably, more than a few more years.

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

m

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was made clear in your first thread that indeed ordering a custom Gibson CAN be done, and that Gibson is HAPPY and WILLING to do that for ANYONE.....

I don't see how more clear that could have been made....Alternatives were also suggested.....Maybe I missed something but, STEVE didn't post in your

previous thread reminding you that since Gary Moore didn't play a 339 that you were wasting your time.......

Anyhow.......If all you need is P-90s and the jack in a different location, heck, get a stock 339 and have a qualified luthier mod the guitar.....Simple, fast, affordable....

Well I have a problem all my life at understanding things. As a kid it was a problem in school ( Being in a new school or country every year) but I take my time and research to find the proper answer for what I'm looking into. Sometimes I know I can be slow in understanding.Sorry if it bothers you.

Doesn't bother me at all......It's a damn shame you THOUGHT my response gave you that impression....

I'm clear as mud without realizing it.......Autism...........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup][scared] B) ....

I found some luthiers who build 339 shaped guitars via the web......Since you did the same research,

and can afford them, I'm sure you found the same fine luthiers..........

Doesn't bother me at all......It's a damn shame you THOUGHT my response gave you that impression....

I'm clear as mud without realizing it.......Autism...........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup][scared] B) ....

I found some luthiers who build 339 shaped guitars via the web......Since you did the same research,

and can afford them, I'm sure you found the same fine luthiers..........

Just some. No your response didn't give me any kind of impression [confused]. I hope mine didn't either. Just stating fact about myself, Thats all. [biggrin]

First Measure...

Two quotes from Satchel Paige who, although I'm not really a baseball fan, was still pitching in the major leagues at age 60 or quite probably, more than a few more years.

m

Great quotes Milo, Thanks [biggrin]

StevenT...you'll get your dream guitar because you're willing to MAKE it happen, which is all it really takes.

i've noticed a change here @ the forum too......doesn't strike me as good or bad, just different, and the generally more laid back attitude is really messing w/the F-brand forumites that play "post on Gibby forum & see how long it takes to get a rude answer".(yeah, it's a real game)

Probably didn't want to get a forum vacation. It's been happening a lot for the younger crew when they call some of the older people out on their BS.

Happened to me for about half a year. I only just got back onto the forum last week

First Measure...

m

Milo, I've heard the first quote before...but never the second...and it's one of the best quotes I've ever heard!

Rob...

Yeah, Paige had some good bits of philosophy on aging and, both from the mound and otherwise, was not one to give folks what they expected. I think both are half decent bits of advice for musicians as much or more than baseball players.

m

I think the forum deterioration of the forum has been brought about by folks that like the soft music.

These folks are amongst us and like things like cleans, ballads, keyboards and frown upon overdrive, distortion and other elements that make Rock n' Roll hard, these are the same folks that confuse rhythms with riffs. Simply appalling [flapper]

In life you just never know when things are going to take a turn for the worse, example:

I saw Foster the People on SNL and just when I thought they were totally terrible and not my thing based on the use of keyboards as the main instrument (they had 3 of them) then Kenny G joined them on stage, BAM! [tongue] Kenny motherf***ing G! BAM!!

So, yea, the forum could be better but like Searcy says we could all contribute to that...

I dunno about the "soft clean," although that's mostly what I tend to play on solo gigs.

When I've played with groups in saloons the past 5 years or so ... <grin>

We've lost some over 50 folks too.

The perspective of a longtime picker, though, tends toward practical. What can I do to get this sound in this venue with this group or solo situation on what budget? Those questions all are such that need be considered regardless of style.

m

Guest farnsbarns

I think the forum deterioration of the forum has been brought about by folks that like the soft music.

Why do you think that?

These folks are amongst us and like things like cleans, ballads, keyboards and frown upon overdrive, distortion and other elements that make Rock n' Roll hard, these are the same folks that confuse rhythms with riffs.

On what do you base this generalisation. I'm not one of them, I like cleans in their place, not a fan of Ballads generally and like my heavy rock, just wondering. :P

Just a BTW, sounds like you are confusing rhythms with rhythm guitar parts. Rhythm has a far reaching definition, not limited to sound/music, let alone guitar playing. :P

Guest farnsbarns

Oh, thanks farns barns for taking my post seriously, so I see you are literal kind of guy eh?

The same guy that says Americans don't get British humor.

You read and you failed.

Erm, no, you failed because I didn't realise you were joking. It is your responsibility to infer the tongue in cheek nature of the post. :P

Actually, I did realise it was a joke, I was "reacting".

If you want to insult someone for the sake of humour you need to get closer to the bone, you didn't quite say anything offensive and you didn't quite aim it at any one person or group specifically enough.

Do it more like this...

Start out with an insane insult rather than just pointing out the negative...

Riffster blows goats because...

then read more into what was said than was there and take the opportunity to make your opinion sound better with some positive superlatives, all the while making the other persons opinion sound rediculous. You've got to "sell assumptively" at this stage....

he likes hard rock and doesn't understand the subtleties of beautiful clean tones and acoustic nuance. (even better if you can include an anglo-french noun)

Then use something you know about the person to jump to an unfair and unwarranted conclusion

He just likes high gain because it hides the fact he can't play.

See, that's how it's done! :P

Ha, ha you are such a likeable ****** farnsbarns and I see you go the long way too.

I do love my distortion, one day I will figure out how to add it to my Dobro, my 12-string acoustic and my 6-string acoustic just to offend folks like you with lady-like sensitivities.

I mentioned overdrive and that is not being attacked? how so? because you like it? say you like it please?

Later when I have time I will dissect your posts because I think you are a troll keyboard player.

Guest farnsbarns

I mentioned overdrive and that is not being attacked? how so? because you like it? say you like it please?

I do, I do! /that's the other thing I should have mentioned. Sometimes you have to ignore the fact that you agree with what was said just to make the insult work.

Later when I have time I will dissect your posts because I think you are a troll keyboard player.

I do own a keyboard and sometimes I play it, albeit quite badly. I also play Sax (badly) Cornet and baritone (any 3 valved brass really) although not for many years, didgeridoo (didgeridont, no, really, don't, as my wife calls it), a little drums, harmonium (very badly) and banjo. I also have a kazoo and a tambourine but those are just for amusing the dog.

I do own a keyboard and sometimes I play it, albeit quite badly. I also play Sax (badly) Cornet and baritone (any 3 valved brass really) although not for many years, didgeridoo (didgeridont, no, really, don't, as my wife calls it), a little drums, harmonium (very badly) and banjo. I also have a kazoo and a tambourine but those are just for amusing the dog.

See, now I understand why, when I refer to rhythm I have to say guitar rhythm despite the fact that we are in a guitar forum. I knew it!!

By the way I am learning harmonica (for blues) sucking and blowing comes handy then.

Archived