Gibson Brands Forums

How about a 'Les Paul' Les Paul?

LarryUK

I'd like to see a signature Les Paul for him. I'm surprised that there hasn't been one in memory since he died. The profit could go to teaching kids guitar.

Perhaps it could be a Les Paul recording model. He seemed to use it a lot. It could have his effects in it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest farnsbarns

Isn't every Les Paul a les Paul sig. I think it's amusing that so many artists have a sig model that is based on someone else's sig model which they chose to play, nothing wrong with it, it just amuses me. I know a lot of people feel that Les designed the Les Paul and that's the story Les Paul himself put about but according to McCarty Les had very little input and only had input after the prototype was shown to him, McCarty said that Les's input was limited to the trapeze design which he acknowledged Gibson got wrong in 52, Les called the 52 design unplayable.

I think the artists who have signature Les Pauls have all had more input on the design of their guitar than Les had on the original design.

Les' idea for a solid guitar was that it should be a piece of rail-road track with strings. He felt that tone wood, and indeed wood tone, was undesirable, he only wanted to hear the strings and the pickups.

They did a run of 52 re-issues LP tributes to mark his passing (Updated trapeze design), they made 564 of them, 6 for each year of his life with serial number a1915 b1915 c1915 and so on. I played several and was considering buying one but of the 5 or 6 I played they all stank, hence my R6.

I see all Les Pauls as Les Paul Les Pauls. I always giggle a little bit when I hear someone ragging on how much they hate the latest "signature series" guitar because they are just fine with their plain old Les Paul Standard. [biggrin] Always funny.

Guest farnsbarns

farns,

What did we talk about on the other thread? you need stop being so literal and acquire some American sense of humor pronto.

Now look, it was a reasonable question and I demand a strait answer!

Guest farnsbarns

Slash doesn't really exist either, our parents just dress up like him.

Yeah, I'm kidding [tongue]

Yeah, and in Sweden he is known as Wunterslausche.

FuzzyF - read it again - it's say Tribute, not signature. . B)

I can read. The OP said he was looking for someone to make a sig Les Paul. I posted it. You posted a tribute. That's like when you go to a restaurant and ask for Coke, and they say "is Pepsi ok?" No. it is not ok. A tribute is not a signature.

thanks for playing

I can read. The OP said he was looking for someone to make a sig Les Paul. I posted it. You posted a tribute. That's like when you go to a restaurant and ask for Coke, and they say "is Pepsi ok?" No. it is not ok. A tribute is not a signature.

Not to infuriate you further but ---- the question was "How about a 'Les Paul' Les Paul?" Not a Les Paul signature hollow body. B)

thanks for learning to read - you know that thing called a topic. [flapper]

Not to infuriate you further but ---- the question was "How about a 'Les Paul' Les Paul?" Not a Les Paul signature hollow body. B)

thanks for learning to read - you know that thing called a topic. [flapper]

he asked about a signature les paul les paul. they already made a les paul signature. and to posthumously make a signature guitar, is pretty lame because you don't have his input (ie Kurt Cobain sig)

Archived