Gibson Brands Forums

I'm starting to question Gibson...

dem00n

Thunder does not hang out in here for the same reasons I do I will tell you that.

I hang aout here for the same reasons the guys that participated in the" Walk the walk and talk the talk..." thread.

I'm not getting this issue - what's it all about?

AFAIK there is no requirement from Gibson regarding a member's reason to participate in the Gibson forum and the discussions there in.

Are you trying to exclude members from discussions based on what your guess is on their reason for participating in the forum or its discussions? . [confused]

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AFAIK there is no requirement from Gibson regarding a member's reason to participate in the Gibson forum and the discussions there in.

Are you trying to exclude members from discussions based on what your guess is on their reason for participating in the forum or its discussions? . [confused]

its all a bunch of elitism :rolleyes:

its all a bunch of elitism :rolleyes:

You have a Gibson. You even Bigsbified it.

That makes you part of the Elite. You are IN, man. And you can't be out when you are IN.

You have drilled Gibson hog. That's a bond. Can't ride the fence with that.

Nope never said that one, although its really sad. Using the comments here a person has to spend over 4K to get a OK guitar and 6K to get a great guitar. Way too many other companies out there that have better products less expensive and for the cash saved you can buy other items.... I agree with Steve on Ibanez, especially the J Craft guitars; depending on the guitar its the price of a Studio to 1800.00 and its a hell of a guitar. Fred you wouldn't know a decent guitar if it fell in your lap. Ibanez has been a thorn in Gibsons side since they started making better versions of the Les Paul and Fenders Strats. Its so sad the tunnel vision some really have here. Yes I do believe in brand dedication yet when the brand doesn't give the slightest care of its customers. This is one of the reasons why many American companies have fallen by the wayside. Look at the Auto Industry, in the 70's it was a joke to buy a Toyota vehicle. Today its a joke to buy a Ford, Chevy or Dodge. I personally have a Ford and love the Mustang. Back on thread, all guitar companies have great guitars but when you compare apples to apples which is now possible with Ibanez to Gibson you pay 1/3 of the cost and get a instrument thats the same quality if not better. Oh I'll be flamed here, dont care eventually some will open eyes then there are those who can't think for themselves and will always remain in home with mommy.

Word. MIJ Ibanez guitars are dope. I love 'em, and one of them (or maybe a Schecter--another awesome, lower-priced alternative brand) will be my next purchase for sure, probably an MIJ RG model. The one thing I wish Ibanez would do is put out an Iceman with a locking trem. Seriously, those guitars have everything I want--neck-through construction with a Wizard II neck, hot ceramic pickups, mahogany body, 1 vol/1 tone control scheme and an awesome visual style to boot--except for a locking tremolo. Preferably a good locking tremolo--none of that Korean crap--something that I can abuse and will stay in tune. That would be my dream guitar. Oh well--maybe once I get my endorsement deal with them, they'll throw me a bone with something along those lines.

The XDemonknight Signature Ibanez Iceman. I like the sound of that.

...Except my stage name is Scum Johnson...

The Scum Johnson Signature Ibanez Iceman. I actually like the sound of that more.

A guy can dream...can't he?

But yeah, back on topic--there are brands out there (Ibanez and Schecter being the ones that immediately come to mind) that put out awesome guitars (depending on the ones you get--although in my experience even the cheaper Ibbys have played great and sounded good) for a lower price and better consistency of quality than Gibson. Brand loyalty is for chumps.

yeah man, you can find them in music stores here.

i think its an ICT700..

i could be wrong on that. they dont all come with them but much like other companies they have different options on certain models. and because ibanez is awesome, and they are ibanez, they slapped a floyd and some locking nuts on it. I love Locking nuts.. my s custom has them, and i wouldnt want it any other way,. my explorer has a different spin on them as well.

back on track.

haha

The past three guitars I've purchased were Epis because I like the necks, I've tended to trust Gibson CS. The playability is excellent with decent sound for what I do. And I could afford them and see them in a store whether I bought there or mail order. Ain't no new Gibbies within a day's drive of where I live as far as I can tell.

There is a valid point to someone not particularly caring for Gibbie offerings. I'm that way about Fender offerings. It ain't price or QC or anything else, but rather design/playability. I just plain dislike Fender guitar necks. Their basses are aok by me, though. Never played a Gibson bass, I've owned several "F" basses and likely will get another.

OTOH, Fender bolt-on necks have an advantage in that a bad one can be replaced quite easily, especially in the manufacturing line or later as a refurb. It's a lot harder with a set neck.

Martin... Their bid for low-mid range guitars are various laminates for everything. I've read mixed reviews of that price range ($500-$1,500). Never touched a Martin neck I've liked, either.

Ibanez, etc... I think Ibanez was at its best in the patent infringement era of the '70s where they worked to out-Gibson the Gibsons of the time period and had much lower labor costs and a very business friendly government environment in Japan. Now? To me they're just not quite right somehow.

Bottom line... the best current guitars for the buck that meet what I want in an electric or acoustic, and that I've seen I've seen have been Epis. From what I've heard third-hand, some of the low-end Gibson acoustics from Montana also are way up there on value.

I'm told I'd like some of the current Gretsch and Guild offerings. Ain't seen any current ones in my neck of the woods, though. I regret dumping my late '60s orange Gretsch and I love my 1970s Guild SG "clone," but... that's a long time ago.

m

yeah man, you can find them in music stores here.

i think its an ICT700..

i could be wrong on that. they dont all come with them but much like other companies they have different options on certain models. and because ibanez is awesome, and they are ibanez, they slapped a floyd and some locking nuts on it. I love Locking nuts.. my s custom has them, and i wouldnt want it any other way,. my explorer has a different spin on them as well.

back on track.

haha

I gotta look into that. They don't list a Floyd Rose option for them on their website, and I've never seen a current Iceman with a Floyd in any stores--but the only local music store has a really limited selection, so it's not surprising. They only have, like, three Ibanezes on hand in the shop. I've gotta try one of those out--it combines two of my favorite things: the Iceman and Floyd Rose. The only thing that could improve it would be a built-in talent booster. [biggrin]

Anyway, sorry for the way-off-topic digression.

I do have issues with Gibson's quality control, see post #25.

I still like the brand though, I am not buying TGs hypothetical $300 flawless import guitar and upgrading, pickups, electronics, tuners and hardware and fret wire to end up with a guitar that is still made of subpar woods and does not sound good through my amp when cranked, I already have done this several times and in the end these guitars still show their limitations, but that's me. Just my opinion, nobody has to agree.

I love my cheap guitars but I do like my American Fenders and Gibsons better, are they 10 times better? not at all but definitely better sounding and feeling and made for the long run.

Thunder does not hang out in here for the same reasons I do I will tell you that.

I hang aout here for the same reasons the guys that participated in the" Walk the walk and talk the talk..." thread.

Buy hey, I already said what I need to say in this thread.

Just out of curiosity, since you are here for the same reason for the people that post their music, how many songs have you posted?

BTW, I find one thing interesting where we've some young guys who appreciate some different sorts of guitar shapes with style-specific sorts of accessories.

My youngest brother - who ain't 40 yet - started playing on a sorta explorer-looking black solidbody. I think it was an Ibbie or Jackson, but I ain't seen it for years since he moved to Seattle.

Anyway, a month ago he told me he just picked up a high end Epi LP in blue.

He didn't tell me how much he loved the looks - although you can tell he does - but rather that it's the first guitar he's owned that seemed to help him play rather than one than seemed to fight him.

In my own head I'm trying to figure out if that means the Epi is so wonderful, that the older pieces are so bad or... that nowadays he's just seeing guitars as something to make the best music with that he wants to do. I look back at my own swaps, trades, bands of various sorts and solo gigs in my youth... and I dunno. I do know I was much more interested in looks as opposed to playability and for a given musical style than I am now.

m

I am just like you and a lot of folks here, slightly mad and making wrong assumptions.

I just don't like folks that bring only negativity and nothing else, that is all. It is simple really.

You could have quoted Duane's response to Thunder instead of mine, his is more to the punch.

Isnt that the reason people buy guitars? To play?

If this was exclusively the case there would be no such thing as Chrome Hardware or any Burst colors, or any color choices beyond one paint color to protect the wood. There would be no figured tops, no birds eye maple necks, no rosettes, no inlays beyond marker dots, and no Bindings.

I just haven't seen that many from you.

No harm meant

There are like 4 links or so in one single thread, they are rough but...

I have a baby at home, recording with modeling (because I have to right now) is not nearly as exciting as recording with my amp.

There are like 4 links or so in one single thread, they are rough but...

I have a baby at home, recording with modeling (because I have to right now) is not nearly as exciting as recording with my amp.

No worries man, I know the feeling. I gotta get a smaller amp for recording purposes, most of my stuff is acoustic and that's the main reason, I can play without having people yell at me [biggrin]

I can't record with a modeler thing straight into the comp, I feel really constrained when I do that, not at all the same when I play through an amp and mic it up

cheers

nate

Man, i never expected such detailed replies from everyone.

Maybe one day things will change, who knows. Gibson still does make killer guitars but no one should pick up a bad guitar that was only caused by someone being lazy/not doing their job.

What I hate is I tried out one Les Paul Studio and it's workmanship was near perfect but the feel wasn't exactly what I was looking for (that's just my personal preference and no fault on Gibson's part). Three weeks later there's a new one hung on the wall in worn brown, which I find looks great, played perfectly but I couldn't buy it. It was a three piece body (which doesn't bother me), but the joins in the body were about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch wide and filled with wood filler which was then dyed to almost a black making it stand out like a sore thumb. I don't know how that passed inspection, I could picture that kind of workmanship from one of those Chinese replicas from Tradetang but not a real USA Gibson from an authorized Gibson dealer. In my opinion if Gibson wants to bring it's name back out of the gutter stuff like this shouldn't even show up at the showrooms.

What I hate is I tried out one Les Paul Studio and it's workmanship was near perfect but the feel wasn't exactly what I was looking for (that's just my personal preference and no fault on Gibson's part). Three weeks later there's a new one hung on the wall in worn brown, which I find looks great, played perfectly but I couldn't buy it. It was a three piece body (which doesn't bother me), but the joins in the body were about 3/16 to a 1/4 inch wide and filled with wood filler which was then dyed to almost a black making it stand out like a sore thumb. I don't know how that passed inspection, I could picture that kind of workmanship from one of those Chinese replicas from Tradetang but not a real USA Gibson from an authorized Gibson dealer. In my opinion if Gibson wants to bring it's name back out of the gutter stuff like this shouldn't even show up at the showrooms.

Damn.

I want to see that! Thats terrible!

I'm glad that my Gibson, though ordered online was perfect in everyway, (except the toggle switch giving trouble occasionally)

Nearly invisible 2 piece back, (small piece by the control cavity) only way to tell is to look at the side grain.

Gibson is not about the little guy, but they don't claim to be and they don't need to be if there is not a profit in it.

To satisfy a few clients and die in the process is not wise,

To open a fully custom shop to satisfy some guys that spend more time in forums that they do playing does not really make much sense. [glare]

I think you'll find Gibson is very much about the little guy. If they're not, then they need new management.

Gibson would most definitely fall into the 80/20 rule of marketing. Most companies recognize that although 80% of their turn over comes from big business it only accounts for 20% of their profit. Most companies profit comes from small business or incidental sales. We on this forum are a bunch of Collectors and enthusiasts to the Gibson brand. Most Gibson players in the high majority would own 1 Gibson maybe 2 not 5-50 as some have here.

I am sure Gibson can see that the guitars they give to Artists for free are simply a marketing driver to get that kid's parents to buy a guitar just like Billy Joe Armstrong's or just like Dave Grohl's.

The little guy is Gibson's main market. not the big rock stars who get theirs for free.

In all my years of sales and marketing the 80/20 has always been there. My last Job was a director for marketing for an industrial company like Airgas in the USA, BOC here would sell a cylinder of oxygen to GM delivered for $5.00 making a profit of $1.80 but they would sell a cylinder of the same gas to a small customer who had to collect for $95. Lose the little guys suddenly your profit margin goes down the poop shoot and your business is gone.

Archived