Gibson Brands Forums

Poor mans Rickenbacker

dem00n

Guest Farnsburger

That head stock is interesting but it also looks weak, can anyone see an advantage to it that I'm missing or is it a case of design over function?

It has a nice punchy full sound but still nobody can seem to capture the jangle of the real 360/12.Maybe if you bought it along with a Jangle Box it may get you closer to the Ricky sound.BTW Dillion makes or at least used to make a very convincing copy of the 360/12 and there is another Ricky wannabe called the Rockinbetter and even their logo is close but as for sound ,I don't know.

I was just checking out their website. The Maranello Semi-Tone looks pretty nice.

Ya know, some of us who want our Gibsons fairly flawless are called "cork sniffers" by un-named members......:rolleyes:[cursing] :unsure: [sneaky][scared] .......

Proof that we aren't is when we all GAS for these high quality well made inexpensive "imports" !!!!!!!! [woot][love][lol] ......

I found that "Italia" double neck and just drooled........GOTTA have one, not that I need it as I have a couple double necks already....[smile] ...

Ya know, some of us who want our Gibsons fairly flawless are called "cork sniffers" by un-named members......:rolleyes:[cursing] :unsure: [sneaky][scared] .......

Proof that we aren't is when we all GAS for these high quality well made inexpensive "imports" !!!!!!!! [woot][love][lol] ......

I found that "Italia" double neck and just drooled........GOTTA have one, not that I need it as I have a couple double necks already....[smile] ...

I do need a Double Neck and I really wouldn't mind one of those.

I'm gonna close m y eyes and pretend thier made in Italy. <_<

Interesting thought to add to the mix: I think that part of the Ric-12 sound stems from the fact that they have the octave strings placed after the primaries. Most other twelvers have the octave strings placed before the primaries. And, yes, that does change the sound quite a bit.

Interesting thought to add to the mix: I think that part of the Ric-12 sound stems from the fact that they have the octave strings placed after the primaries. Most other twelvers have the octave strings placed before the primaries. And, yes, that does change the sound quite a bit.

THIS is why I love this forum.......I learn learn learn.....I did not know this...Thank you Randy.....[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .....

Randy is right on!

The way Rickenbacker places the octave strings does make a difference ... in much the same way that I maintain a reverse headstock will change the sound of a guitar. It's subtle to be sure, but when you hear it, you say, "That's IT!"

Several guys over on the Gretsch Forum own these Italia Rimini models and the feedback is all quite positive. One of the ways they say the Italias actually are better than the Rics is the fretboard width at the nut. Rickenbackers are so narrow as to make them unplayable to many guitarists.

Jim

Great info to hear and learn Mr. Midi...........If Gretsch owners like them ( dang cork sniffers [flapper]:rolleyes: ), then that's a great sign.......

Now, just HOW do I mention the double neck to my gal ????? :unsure: [crying][sneaky][drool] .......Oh !!!! I'll buy HER one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [lol] ....

Archived