Gibson Brands Forums

Gretsch demo

cookieman15061

my Gretsch 6118 with a little slapback echo through the blues jr.

Nice!

You kinda like green, eh.

My 6120 is orange and my EC Strat is pewter.

Played my new Gretsch through the Blues Jr and the Lonestar Special (Stereo) with delay

from the Flashback and some reverb and I can tell you it is tonal heaven.

And when I step on the TS808 it is absolutely wild.

A Gretsch is really something else!

Nice!

You kinda like green, eh.

My 6120 is orange and my EC Strat is pewter.

Played my new Gretsch through the Blues Jr and the Lonestar Special (Stereo) with delay

from the Flashback and some reverb and I can tell you it is tonal heaven.

And when I step on the TS808 it is absolutely wild.

A Gretsch is really something else!

Green's cool but I got all kinds of colors.

couchshot007.jpg

that was an awesome tone you had there cookieman.

My G5120 doesn't sound like that... sounds nice, but not quite like that.

Of course, that seems like a much more expensive Gretsch for starters and also I haven't really tried to get an authentic rockabilly tone yet either... now that I have a delay pedal I might just try to add the slapback someday and see if I can get it to sound close.

One things for sure, those Gretschbuckers are either loved or loathed by the people who have them, but I think they're fantastic. They're low output allows for tones that I haven't been able to get with any other guitar... that sound that BB King gets when his guitar is just on the verge of overdrive - a very fat clean tone with infinate sustain that is just teatering on the edge of feedback. A tubescreamer or good clone will enhance this but I've gotten it on other people's amps simply by plugging in and just going for it. Funny thing was, I never realized how low output these pickups were until I had this happen. The guy's strat was just screaming, and I pulled off this cool jazzy tone with just a bit of sizzle from the overdrive channel on his amp without changing a single setting. It was perfect for Black Magic Woman.

The thing with "cookieman" is, it doesn't matter what guitar he plays, the sounds and music that flows forth is always golden.........

At some point I'd like to pick up (pun intended) some TV Jones pickups......Get me some "cookieman tone"..........[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ........

Thanks for the compliments fellas. Having a little bit of guitar knowledge in numerous styles always enabled me to find a gig. I was never gonna win any awards but what I didn't know I could fake and I always had fun.

The Gretsch proline series are fantastic guitars came set up nicely right out of the case.msp_thumbup.gif

Jeff, I'll have to do something this weekend.msp_thumbup.gif

From personal experience, there is something magical about the combination of a Gretsch and a Vox amp. My Gretsch is a low end model (if a $1000 guitar can be considered low end) and my Vox is a hybrid with tube pre and solid state power section; and even still it's one of the nicest sounding guitar/amp combinations I've got.

Dont' get me wrong, everything sounds good through my Traynor head with the right combination of features enabled/disabled; but the Gretsch just has something about it that really comes through when connected to a Vox.

I also discovered very quickly while playing with the Traynor in Brit mode (basically the tone stack placed before the volume control like a Marshall) that anyone playing an SG through a Marshall who complains they can't get the AC/DC tone is missing on specific ingredient... the fact that Malcom Young uses Gretsch! Without that Gretsch sound and the SG sound together, you will never get the AC/DC tone exactly right. :rolleyes:

now taking into account that a lot of people's tone comes from their fingers, the level of success at replicating the AC/DC tone may still vary even with the correct gear; but if you want to get anywhere close to that sound, a 2 guitar band or 2 guitar tracks are needed, with one on a Gretch and the other an SG through Marshalls or a similar type tube amp will go a long way toward getting that sound.

Archived