Gibson Brands Forums

is steve lukather out of his depth here?

S t e v e

To me Vai and Satriani sound very close to each other, so that it will be like an ActI and ACTII deal. Lukather may be a breath of fresh air because he is very different from the other two.

yea, i hope they tour over here...i saw them yrs ago with eric johnson [thumbup]

yea, i hope they tour over here...i saw them yrs ago with eric johnson [thumbup]

I have already seen all three in concert (Lukather with TOTO). To me watching a guitar player without vocals is truly boring for me. Don't get me wrong Vai and Sat are right up there with the best ever, but I nearly went into snoozeville after about 30 minutes into their concerts.

I have already seen all three in concert (Lukather with TOTO). To me watching a guitar player without vocals is truly boring for me. Don't get me wrong Vai and Sat are right up there with the best ever, but I nearly went into snoozeville after about 30 minutes into their concerts.

[thumbup][thumbup]

I saw Satriani last year and I was surprised that I didn't get bored. It was good.

As far as Luke being out of his depth. Not a chance. He's done more than the other two put together. He can play as fast and his solo's are far tastier than theirs.

His catalogue of work is more varied than theirs too. In fact. He's played on more records than any other guitar player out there. Never underestimate him. He can rise to anything.

I saw Satriani last year and I was surprised that I didn't get bored. It was good.

As far as Luke being out of his depth. Not a chance. He's done more than the other two put together. He can play as fast and his solo's are far tastier than theirs.

His catalogue of work is more varied than theirs too. In fact. He's played on more records than any other guitar player out there. Never underestimate him. He can rise to anything.

don't get me wrong i wasn't dissin steve (lukather), he's just a different player from the other two...but i wasn't questioning his ability just the style of playing on the night...would people be more "wowed" by satch and vai's playing though?

I'd love to see this line up. IMO, Steve Lukather fits better than Petrucci did. It will be interesting to see what kind of set he puts together, he's a master of so many different styles it's hard to predict what direction he'll take.

If we were laying bets on who is going to steal the show, my money's on Lukather.

I didn't like that. Their sounds clashed. Jeff used quite a clean sound and Luke's was over the top. Plus he went over the top on the solo. I saw Toto once in Birmingham. About mid 90's. They were awful. The language was foul and they just showed off. People walked out in their droves.

Here is Steve with Jeff Beck way back in the 80s. How did he fair in this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHb6SmuUS9M

I guess that all of what I heard generally sounded OK--not great, but OK, and I preferred Jeff's parts--but I was so distracted by how they were all jumping around and dancing that I couldn't make it past 3:30. They were annoying me and making me nervous.

Also, barely anything went on in that track. I guess it was a jam or whatever. I need more substance in my music than a couple of wankers wanking wankily.

I guess that all of what I heard generally sounded OK--not great, but OK, and I preferred Jeff's parts--but I was so distracted by how they were all jumping around and dancing that I couldn't make it past 3:30. They were annoying me and making me nervous.

Also, barely anything went on in that track. I guess it was a jam or whatever. I need more substance in my music than a couple of wankers wanking wankily.

+1

Well, the jumping around was annoying. But over the top is what that kind of playing is all about. It's like saying an aerial acrobat was turning his plane too much and didn't make for a very comfortable ride. Over the top lead playing is what G3 is all about, it's not going to be a Beatles tribute band.

well he better up his game when he shares the stage with steve and joe [biggrin]

At the least, hide all of his guitars with whammy bars [biggrin] ..... Talk about a crutch.

Nothing worse than a guitar player having to grab the tremelo arm when they can't think of a lick to play...... It's like jammin with a drummer that has to do tom-tom fills on every break [cursing]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qE5srP4dE

Maybe it's because I know what he's capable of, I was able to see past the jumping and whammy bar (that he used in an obviously improvised situation). Perhaps this fusion stuff is more palatable to you guys.

You know what I love about these crazy, over the top guitarist? The musicians they have in the band are always Incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qE5srP4dE

Maybe it's because I know what he's capable of, I was able to see past the jumping and whammy bar (that he used in an obviously improvised situation). Perhaps this fusion stuff is more palatable to you guys.

You know what I love about these crazy, over the top guitarist? The musicians they have in the band are always Incredible!

He's a better player than what he showed in the vid for sure

I agree with the consensus. Joe is very technically adept but his sound sound becomes mundane after a short time. In all of my years, I've never had to have anything Satriani did. He can wow you initially, and then its like, ok heard that before. Granted we all have different tastes.

I would much rather listen to the Car's, Elliot Easton. who knows how to say something with 5 notes, and 20 seconds, as opposed to Joe's 100 notes and 20 minutes. Vai has the technique, and some killer licks to go with it... Lukather can shred, and play slow and melodic as well, but still doesn't do it for me. IMO, they could lose Satriani, or Lukather, and bring in say an Yngwie Malmsteen, which would really add a unique dimension.

Archived