Gibson Brands Forums

Are these real Gibson Les Paul Customs?

wootpow

Good for you for posting.

For one, I can tell straight off they are fakes, at least the Gibsons are.

But, the interesting question, is who is selling them and what is he asking and what is he representing them as.

They're from the local Facebook Classifieds.

Brand new Fender Amp Acoustasonic also for sale behind quitars, retails for $740.00 , asking $500 OBO, Quitars are seperate prices , Cherry Sunburst retails for $3500, asking $2000 OBO, and Black one which is called Black beatuy retails for $6500, asking $3000 OBO, and White one is Epiphone retails for $724 selling for $500 OBO, ALSO these are all in MINT condition and BRAN NEw never used, They are all Les Paul Costoms .....

I thought they were fakes too but it's nice to know for sure.

The term "fake" can cover a broad spectrum.

On the one extreme, a guitar can be a non'Gibby and be branded to LOOK like a Gibby from a stage: Not an effort to fool or rip anyone, but rather to pay homage without putting expensive priceless guitars at risk.

At the other extreme, there are guitars manufactured for the purpose of fooling people. This is absolute fraud. These guitars are usually VERY cheaply built, but have certain details designed to allow the seller to represent them as expensive Gibsons and attempt to rip people off.

I can attest for certain, without a doubt these guitars are NOT genuine. I am pretty sure they fit in the latter category.

But...the QUESTION is: which category is the SELLER in? Has he been fooled, or is he the one attempting to fool others?

If the dude really had two LP customs, my question to him would be what the hell he was doing with an Epi, no offense Epi guys, I've just played some that were BAD! That would be the first red flag for me. The photo is kind of blurry, but in person a fake is easy to recognize.

Couple serious red flags here regarding the seller:

He post NO info in public when questioned. He wants you to call.

He is willing to state price for each or for all-and quickly, but the easy question "where did you get them" he won't answer.

When told about details that are telling they are fake, now infers (notice he doesn't actually say) they are a friends guitars.

How can you tell if the Epi is legit - from this pic ???

I wrote : "looks legit" as the pic is too small to make a definite call. BUT, besides the fretboards on the two Gibby Customs the control knobs are misplaced - a very common mistake on fakes. The center of volume control next to the stop anchor should be a bit below the line made by the two stop anchors. Take a look at the legit Gibby Custom below and the legit Epi Custom below that. Notice the placement of the volume knob closest to the stop-bar in relation to the stop anchor line. Look back at the pics of the 3 customs. Whaddya know - even in a small pic it's pretty obvious. On that aspect, the Epi looks okay and they come with a rosewood F/B. Besides, not much money to be made faking an Epiphone, although I wouldn't put it past those industrious Chinese.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H74914.001_frost_blue.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_518350.026_alpinewhite.jpg

fakegibsons.jpg

Archived