Gibson Brands Forums

Thick Sounding Les Paul R8 vs the other guitar

bluesguitar65

[confused] And we are testing what hypothesis, here?

J/W

[blink]

I guess I was trying to show tone difference of two classic guitars when plugged in to the same amp and give reason why having more than one type of guitar would be ideal as no two guitars sound the same, specially have different pickup types and configuration.

Bigger? Well, the Les Paul sounds thicker and denser, but the strat sounds like it's Bigger. Like a Cloud as opposed top a Redwood Tree, the tree is Big, impressive, heavy and dense. But the cloud is Bigger and impressive, but light and spread out. In that sense I think the Strat sounds Bigger, but the Les Paul sounds Heavier.

Bigger? Well, the Les Paul sounds thicker and denser, but the strat sounds like it's Bigger. Like a Cloud as opposed top a Redwood Tree, the tree is Big, impressive, heavy and dense. But the cloud is Bigger and impressive, but light and spread out. In that sense I think the Strat sounds Bigger, but the Les Paul sounds Heavier.

Hey great analogy FirstMeasure!!! [thumbup] [thumbup]

Of course you could buy a Traditional Pro and have both single coils and humbuckers in the same rig albeit the single coils will give you a sound more like a cross between a Jaguar and Mustang rather than a Strat.With the nature of a humbucker having 2 coils it is bound to sound fuller than a Strat but then again you'll never get the quack and chime of a good Strat from a Les Paul.

[woot] By JOVE! FirstMeasure has NAILED it, I think! [thumbup]

Great imagery, and very true... I honestly don't think any professional electric guitarist can be without a Stratocaster. There are many usable options with respect to humbucker-equipped guitars, but a Strat is a "must" for that big, airy sound he described so well in his metaphor!

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

B)

Both sound fat and gainy. Clearly the LP is thicker and more over-driven. However, I prefer your Strat tone of the two. It's a little clearer and it seems to fit your playing well. Would love to hear the same comparison with a little less gain too.

Both sound fat and gainy. Clearly the LP is thicker and more over-driven. However, I prefer your Strat tone of the two. It's a little clearer and it seems to fit your playing well. Would love to hear the same comparison with a little less gain too.

Sure. I will make another video, but more cleaner tone. I would like to mention that the amp I was using was a Egnater Tweaker 15 watt. Got it at GC for $494 out the door. It already included the $50 instant rebate, but I haggled to bring it down further to what I got for. It would of cost me $549 with the rebate included [flapper] [flapper]

great soundbits for the Egnater !!

I really enjoyed that bg65 !! you got some real grooves going on there, would love to jam w/you sometime !!

as far as the guitars, that vid showed 2 exellent examples of what they are, the LP has the great growling mids and gentler highs....where the Strat sings and howls.

like most here I own both, and use them for their specific tones.

If you have a Peavey Classic series amp i'd really like a demo thru it.....

I honestly don't think any professional electric guitarist can be without a Stratocaster. There are many usable options with respect to humbucker-equipped guitars, but a Strat is a "must" for that big, airy sound he described so well in his metaphor!

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

B)

Yeah, FM hit it pretty square on, description wise.

BUT....

I haven't touched let alone OWNED a strat in probably 15 years, And I am ok with that.

(I know you said pro, I play out at LEAST twice a month... so take it as you will.)

MY two cents.

PS I also think strats sound like piss in general on anything but the neck P-up, and then they still sound like piss. just MHO

It was a pretty standard comparison of a LP vs. Strat. The most distinctive difference IMO, was with the LP set on the neck pickup, for that clear "woman tone". A Strat always sounds a little springy or spongy to my ears.

They both sounded great and your playing as always is very good. I can't say which one sounded "bigger". In general though I probably prefer the Strat when you're hitting full chords and the LP when playing single notes and double stops.

Great imagery, and very true... I honestly don't think any professional electric guitarist can be without a Stratocaster. There are many usable options with respect to humbucker-equipped guitars, but a Strat is a "must" for that big, airy sound he described so well in his metaphor!

My $0.02/FWIW

J/W

B)

Thanks J/W

Colors and Sound are always so hard to describe.

I love the "pop" of a Strat. I never did in my youth because I wanted that "wall of sound" feel but these days I can appreciate a greater variety of tones that different guitars give. Having a Les Paul and a Strat certainly give you a lot of possibilities. Add a PRS and a hollow body and all of your bases are covered IMHO.

I love the "pop" of a Strat. I never did in my youth because I wanted that "wall of sound" feel but these days I can appreciate a greater variety of tones that different guitars give. Having a Les Paul and a Strat certainly give you a lot of possibilities. Add a PRS and a hollow body and all of your bases are covered IMHO.

That is what I'm looking at to purchase next. A next Gibson. It will be a 335. Now, that is the ultimate Blues Guitar if there is one. A red 335 is what I want.

That neck pickup on the LP is pure sweetness, but I have to agree with another poster that the Strat seems to fit your rhythmic style better; additionally, you look like you are enjoying the Strat more than the LP in the video.

Very good observation there my friend. Are you a Micheal Schenker fan?

Archived