Gibson Brands Forums

Handheld Recorder for Acoustic

jchabalk

I know this comes up from time to time. i'm going to get a handheld recorder and am interested in the relatively new Zoom H2n. I was curious if anyone on the forum has one of these and could share an feedback about it (positive or negative). I'm going to be using this mostly to record acoustic guitar

I've been reading about and listening to sound samples from a bunch of different recorders (Zoom, Sony, Tascam). There are so many variables involved it's hard to know for sure what i'm actually listening to when doing this online.

The H2n appears to have a good balance between, quality/price/ease-of-use/battery-life. I'd be interested in an real world opinions from you forumites (whom i tend to trust )

thanks in advance!

[thumbup]

A friend has a Samson Zoom Q3 which is the lower res version of the Q3HD. The Q3s and the H2n have the same condenser mics with great price/performance, I've been looking.

I've decided that I want a HD cam with mic input plug, but don't know which one? If portable is what you need the Zoom seems to be a good option.

I have one that I haven't touched in a while because I bought a video recorder - I must get back on the horse because it sounded alright, and pretty simple to get going. I did use maximum quality settings all the time - you can always reduce them later. Add a bit of production on the iMac, etc.

BluesKing777.

I have a zoomH2 and I really like like it; very easy to use and a good microphone. Since it doesn't go through any pre-amp though (I think that's the reason I am far from competent at recording) even on high mic gain when you change the file over to the computer it is pretty quiet. Also you can only use standard headphones for monitors when you aren't using it as a usb mic which can be a little bothersome. Long story short I'd recommend it but my opinion is purely from the standpoint of someone who doesn't really understand recording.

I have the H2 and the Q3...had an H4 too. The H4 does tracking but I never used it in the handheld situations. The H2 is excellent and really easy to use and gets pretty darn good sound. if you're looking for audio alone I would go with one of those!

We use the Zoom Q3HD for recording gigs and rehearsals.

I have found the audio to be excellent, the video pretty average.

However given the audio is most important Im happy to use it on an ongoing basis.

Here's a couple clips recorded with this device in two seperate venues.

I have Zoom H4 and H4n, like them both. I also have Tascam DR-07. All of them work great. I will sell one or two. Thinking of buying Zoom H2n, as with it, I can see the screen while recording. Plus, it has new mic systems. These things produce amazing recordings. Record, enhance with software and it's pretty amazing quality.

thanks for all the info guys, i really appreciate it!

I ended up getting the Zoom H2n the other day. I haven't really had a chance to spend too much time with it yet but my first impressions are that it's definitely going to work well for what i want to do.

Most of the time i just want to record myself working on something real quick rather than screwing around with the computer and mics and all that. The sound quality of the zoom just on first impression is that it's really good.

The interface on the H2n is super intuitive. I played around with it for a few minutes before looking at the manual and after reading the manual i found that i'd already figured the whole thing out on my own.

Simple is as simple does. I hope to get some quality time with it over the long weekend here. So far i really like it [thumbup]

Archived