Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Epiphone ES-355

StompIt

Thanks for straightening that up C.B. you certainly know your stuff.I wonder if Epi would ever consider making a Varitone model.

Well, in a way, they already do. "Lucille" is a ES-355 Stereo (basically) without the "f" holes,

and with the "Lucille" inlay, in the headstock, instead of the "Split Diamond" inlay.

It would be easy enough, for you to add a Varitone, really...IF, you really want/need one. [biggrin]

CB

Hey Guys!

Epiphone seems to have really hit a home run with this one. Its so beautiful and plays great.

The factory setup was good other than being a little high. I did have to hit the frets with some 0000 wool to get rid of a little roughness.

Overall the fit and finish is fantastic and will stand up to any Gibsons I've checked out lately.

DSC03957.JPG

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03974.JPG

DSC03962.JPG

DSC03969.JPG

DSC03959.JPG

DSC04000.JPG

AND...just look, at those nicely rounded frets! [thumbup] No "road blocks" there! [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Hey Guys!

Epiphone seems to have really hit a home run with this one. Its so beautiful and plays great.

The factory setup was good other than being a little high. I did have to hit the frets with some 0000 wool to get rid of a little roughness.

Overall the fit and finish is fantastic and will stand up to any Gibsons I've checked out lately.

DSC03957.JPG

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03974.JPG

DSC03962.JPG

DSC03969.JPG

DSC03959.JPG

DSC04000.JPG

Hey dude.

Damn!!!! That is a BEAUTY!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Beautiful detail on this baby.

Happy New ES-335 Day.

Paul

The fret ends were in pretty good shape.

I merely hit the fret top surfaces and ends with some 0000 steel wool and there you have it !

Well, that's "normal" on new guitars...for me, anyway. What I was referring to, was

the actual shape, of the frets (top) being rounded, as opposed to squared off/sharp

edged, across the fingerboard, like too many Gibson guitar (prior to pleking) use to be.

I have a 2000 Les Paul Classic, that HAD those squared off frets. It was a disaster, to

play, if you wanted to slide up and down the fingerboard. Like hitting a speed bump, or

parking lot "stop blocks." LOL So, I had my luthier round and polish the frets, and now

I can't put it down! ALL my Epiphones, have had nice rounded frets, to begin with! Never

had that problem, with them. Glad to see, they're still doing that! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Well, that's "normal" on new guitars...for me, anyway. What I was referring to, was

the actual shape, of the frets (top) being rounded, as opposed to squared off/sharp

edged, across the fingerboard, like too many Gibson guitar (prior to pleking) use to be.

I have a 2000 Les Paul Classic, that HAD those squared off frets. It was a disaster, to

play, if you wanted to slide up and down the fingerboard. Like hitting a speed bump, or

parking lot "stop blocks." LOL So, I had my luthier round and polish the frets, and now

I can't put it down! ALL my Epiphones, have had nice rounded frets, to begin with! Never

had that problem, with them. Glad to see, they're still doing that! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Interesting... I have seen some frets with some degree of a flattened top surface, but the edges were never sharp enough to be felt or noticeable.

But I do prefer what Im seeing on this guitar... [thumbup]

Interesting... I have seen some frets with some degree of a flattened top surface, but the edges were never sharp enough to be felt or noticeable.

But I do prefer what Im seeing on this guitar... [thumbup]

Well, I don't think it was "just me," on the feeling, that my "Classic" frets were more

squared off, than normal, as almost everyone that played it, prior to having the frets

rounded, said the same thing. So, I don't think it was my "touch" really. Even the

luthier I use, said ("Wow! I see what you mean!!), when he played it, prior to doing

the work. So...???

CB

Well, I don't think it was "just me," on the feeling, that my "Classic" frets were more

squared off, than normal, as almost everyone that played it, prior to having the frets

rounded, said the same thing. So, I don't think it was my "touch" really. Even the

luthier I use, said ("Wow! I see what you mean!!), when he played it, prior to doing

the work. So...???

CB

Yeah... Im not at all saying that what you were seeing wasnt an issue, I was just surprised to hear that they actually ship guitars out that way. [mellow]

I love the look of the Cherry and also the White. I am sorely tempted to snag one in cherry while I can!

Is anyone able to delineate the differences between the ES-355 and a sheraton aside from cosmetics and the Bigsby? I have a couple of Sheratons and I would be tempted to get rid of one to help fund an ES-355.

Thx.

PS. Interesting comment about the ES-345 being a spiffed up dot..

I love the look of the Cherry and also the White. I am sorely tempted to snag one in cherry while I can!

Is anyone able to delineate the differences between the ES-355 and a sheraton aside from cosmetics and the Bigsby? I have a couple of Sheratons and I would be tempted to get rid of one to help fund an ES-355.

Thx.

PS. Interesting comment about the ES-345 being a spiffed up dot..

[biggrin]...well, even the Gibson's were just "spiffed up" versions, of the ES-335.

CB

the work. So...???

CB

The frets on my 2006(ish) Gibson ES-335 and ES 333 are like railroad ties compared to those on my Elitist Dot, which are nice and low. The higher, and rather squared-off frets give you real purchase when bending, but I do get my fingers caught on them when I slide from time to time. I wonder if the higher frets are used because it makes it easier to bind their ends.

Red 333

The frets on my 2006(ish) Gibson ES-335 and ES 333 are like railroad ties compared to those on my Elitist Dot, which are nice and low. The higher, and rather squared-off frets give you real purchase when bending, but I do get my fingers caught on them when I slide from time to time. I wonder if the higher frets are used because it makes it easier to bind their ends.

Red 333

Yeah...I don't know...I don't/didn't really have a problem, with the height, of the frets, as much

as the sharper (squared off) edges, rather than rounded, like my Epiphones. Since I had the Classic LP

(and,my Highway 1 Strat and Telecaster (same kinds of frets)) "dressed" (rounded and polished),

they ALL play much, much, better! [thumbup] Just wish Gibson would use the rounder topped fret wire,

like they do, on their Epi's. Much nicer, overall...IMHO.

CB

do you think you could replace the volume knobs with nicer ones, like the ones off the ES-345 perhaps? Or maybe black and gold ones?

244zghk.jpg

You know.. I was actually thinking of going with the Gibson OEM gold top hat or speed knobs.

I would assume the pot shaft size is the same as the Gibson, but I read that some had trouble installing them due to a really tight fit.

You know.. I was actually thinking of going with the Gibson OEM gold top hat or speed knobs.

I would assume the pot shaft size is the same as the Gibson, but I read that some had trouble installing them due to a really tight fit.

IF that guitar has Gibson or USA pots, then Gibson knobs will fit. IF Not,

you'll need to get the "Epiphone" (metric) versions, that are readily available,

from dealers, All-Parts, and Stew-Mac.

Cheers,

CB

I just got my white one the other day. I’m a huge Rush fan and have always wanted a Semi-Hollowbody along the lines of Lifeson’s guitar and when I saw this one it was pretty close to a no brainer for me….the bigsby was a actually a plus as I like Jonny A. a lot too….so I’m kind of killing two birds with one stone on my GAS list…kind of. I was thinking about getting a Gibson Midtown as I think that’s a really interesting guitar with some nice elements to it…but it’s not got the same sound as a semi-hollobody. Plus this was ½ the price so Ok…my Xmas present to myself this year is an ES-355 !!

It came in the mail packaged very well and played good out of the box. I’m going to customize it a bit here and there and have a full set-up done on it (the set up was not BAD out of the box but the action over the 8-12th frets isn’t as good as it could be.) I’m admittedly a persnickety one but I also know what I paid for so I’m not complaining…just taking note. The binding / paint boundaries aren’t perfect and there is a finish defect on the bigsby, a few of the block inlays are not perfectly square and the input jack keeps coming loose. However, on the whole it’s a fine guitar with a really nice sound and for the price I’m pretty excited. The hardware is solid and appears to be of good quality. I love the pick guard and will be installing it as part of my mods. I really like the neck as it plays wonderfully. The Epi headstock is much cooler than I thought and the binding/ pearl inlays just add a great touch of class to it. Semi’s have such a unique sound and I think this one sounds great, the pickups seem fine after a few playing sessions but I’ve not played it enough to really feel out all of their sounds completely yet. It has a great neck pick-up clean/reverb tone that I’m really digging so far. Can’t wait to get it tweaked out to my nerdy liking !!!

A completely solid guitar I’d say.

I just got my white one the other day. I’m a huge Rush fan and have always wanted a Semi-Hollowbody along the lines of Lifeson’s guitar and when I saw this one it was pretty close to a no brainer for me….the bigsby was a actually a plus as I like Jonny A. a lot too….so I’m kind of killing two birds with one stone on my GAS list…kind of. I was thinking about getting a Gibson Midtown as I think that’s a really interesting guitar with some nice elements to it…but it’s not got the same sound as a semi-hollobody. Plus this was ½ the price so Ok…my Xmas present to myself this year is an ES-355 !!

It came in the mail packaged very well and played good out of the box. I’m going to customize it a bit here and there and have a full set-up done on it (the set up was not BAD out of the box but the action over the 8-12th frets isn’t as good as it could be.) I’m admittedly a persnickety one but I also know what I paid for so I’m not complaining…just taking note. The binding / paint boundaries aren’t perfect and there is a finish defect on the bigsby, a few of the block inlays are not perfectly square and the input jack keeps coming loose. However, on the whole it’s a fine guitar with a really nice sound and for the price I’m pretty excited. The hardware is solid and appears to be of good quality. I love the pick guard and will be installing it as part of my mods. I really like the neck as it plays wonderfully. The Epi headstock is much cooler than I thought and the binding/ pearl inlays just add a great touch of class to it. Semi’s have such a unique sound and I think this one sounds great, the pickups seem fine after a few playing sessions but I’ve not played it enough to really feel out all of their sounds completely yet. It has a great neck pick-up clean/reverb tone that I’m really digging so far. Can’t wait to get it tweaked out to my nerdy liking !!!

A completely solid guitar I’d say.

HNGD to you!! Are you going to post some pics?

Yeah.. I did notice on one of my fretboard block inlays that there is a 1/32" gap between the ebony and the inlay along one edge. Do you know if the gap can be easily filled?

Welcome to the forum Don.

I just received my White 355 Wednesday in the mail from the Black Friday Special.

Got it for $594.

Great price, but alas, my finishing imperfections had me return it to GC for another.

On mine there was a buckling (cant think of a better term) on the base side of the neck down from the binding where it connects to the body.

It is only about 1/8" high by 3/8" wide.

Very wavy.

Also the top of both f-holes were warn down to the wood.

The left f-hole looked like someone used white-out to touch it up.

(Note: the finish does not look like it was dipped in poly. It seems a lot thinner than normal Epiphone finishes)

They took it back and ordered me a new one with no problem.

Oh well, first ones off the line.

I do have to say, GC really worked well at replacing this.

I did not have to mail it back.

Over the phone customer service told me that if I returned it to the store today, they would mail a new one on Monday.

This time it will be delivered to the store and I can inspect before taking it home.

They were pretty stoked to see this.

Everyone came by to see the new Epi/Gibson reissue.

As for setup, mine was almost perfect.

Played like a dream. Intonation and action was almost dead on.

Thicker neck like a Dot.

Really psyched to get it back and really play it.

I was also disappointed with the pick guard.

I like the tortoise shell on white and will have it installed. (Just me, I know it's about 50/50 amongst our group on pick guard likes/dislikes)

The top area of the pick guard where the screw hole is seems to be tight.

The cut was not perfect and my tech will have had to shave it down because the top lip extended down where the pickup slides in.

It looked like there was not that much room to be shaved.

I hope the replacement is better cut.

Either way I will try to find an aftermarket bound guard with no bracket hole and use a Gibson bracket with the block.

I tried to take a photos of all problems before returning, but the white made it hard to capture most of the white imperfections with my iPhone.

As soon as I get it I will take photos with the good camera with a good light source.

Mark

DSC04000.JPG

Using StompIt's photo, you can see what I was talking about with the pick guard.

Notice where the top mounting hole is.

The edge of the recess for the screw just about hits the cut for the pickup and the binding comes down lower than the space for the pickup.

I think the pickup slots should have been moved down ever so slightly so that there was more room between the top of the guard and the pickup slot.

Mark

Archived