Gibson Brands Forums

for a pick !!? :-0

blindboygrunt

mornin peoples,

was browsing the agf and read a topic about picks , someone stood up for blue chip picks , i never heard o them and i find out they're like $70 . after i picked myself up of the floor and wiped the sprayed tea off the walls i surfed around and have discovered a whole new world !

i'm in ireland here so if we dont just use the dried potato skins for picks its a simple choice of dunlops etc to choose from in the local music shops .

my initial thoughts are along the lines of magic beans and emporers new clothes so i thought i'd ask all you guru's , wise men and genius' to get your thoughts and habits cos you all (well most) seem to know what you're talking about

i'm hoping you all say a picks a pick , cos it'll be a gas in my house when i tell the woman that i now have to spend around £50 on a plectrum

cheers guys

Whats to say its worth the money, just because they are popular on the AGF ?

Have you played one, I think on the AGF a lot of the folks like ridiculously thick picks like 1.5mm and I think this falls in that camp. Not fore me thanks.

I love Gibson Medium picks.

yeah , i play with the yellow or orange tortex picks

over 1mm would be a jump for me but i'm always open to the fact that change isnt always a bad thing

incidently the fact i seen it on the agf has nothing to do with what i was asking , just interested to see opinions that i value on here

cheers

I also played with the organge and yellow Tortex picks for a few years. HUGE improvement in tone with the Gibson Medium picks which are about the same width as the Torex Yellow, around .71mm

yeah , i play with the yellow or orange tortex picks

over 1mm would be a jump for me but i'm always open to the fact that change isnt always a bad thing

incidently the fact i seen it on the agf has nothing to do with what i was asking , just interested to see opinions that i value on here

cheers

After years of trying various brands / models I use only Gibson picks now. Medium with the Gibson and Heavy with the Martins. Sometimes a .057 (dark pink) Gator Dunlop for fast / dry strumming.

However a friend of mine, a pro / teacher, uses Blue Chips and he says they are worth the money.

I'd be afraid to lose it...

searching 'pick comparison' on ytube gets you a mixture of picks bluechip and redbear among them

i certainly dont hear a difference of 50 odd pound but hearing them in person would maybe change things

i like the ones with holes in the centre , i might try that cos i'm forever dropping mine when my fingers get sweaty . goes well with the habit if putting pick in your mouth between songs to remember u just picked it up off the pub floor . yumyum

Yeah that was the exact pick i was using when Thomanns head of acoustics asked me to try the gibson medium pick while being at their showroom. Surprising positive difference forward, more clarity without losing the warmth. Worth a try as its such a cheap experiment.

This topic pops up at least once a year. I can't see spending significant cash on picks.

For me it's Dunlop Tortex triangles .73mm - great for old fumble fingers. B)

guitar-bass-accessories-17051-picks-dunlop-tortex-triangle-0-73mm-72stck.jpg

I, too, thought that $35 for a pick was ridiculous. But I ordered one for my guitar playing brother for Christmas and when it came I had to try it out. It is the thinnest they make (I think .75) and it was amazingly quiet and fast. Bottom line, if you have a guitar player that has everything and you can spring for the $35, it makes a great gift. Would I ever buy one for myself??? NO. If he loses it, it's on him, not me..... :)

I've been using the yellow Dunlop .80 for sometimes until my last visit to my favorite guitar store in town. I went through all those cases to find a lighter one and found some transparent dark blue light Dunlop. What a difference it made!!! I was told by a former guitar teacher that a lighter pick would help me getting that brighter sound I was looking for, and he was absolutely right! And the good news is that it did not cost me anything even remotely close to the prices mentionned in this thread. [cool]

I've been using Fender and Gibson thin pickups for many years. Nothing fancy. I have a very light touch when playing. I had a joint replaced in my right thumb a couple of years ago (I'm an old geezer) and now find I just don't have the strength or good grip anymore. I think it's time for a good thin pick with a non-slip surface. Any suggestions?

I've been using Fender and Gibson thin pickups for many years. Nothing fancy. I have a very light touch when playing. I had a joint replaced in my right thumb a couple of years ago (I'm an old geezer) and now find I just don't have the strength or good grip anymore. I think it's time for a good thin pick with a non-slip surface. Any suggestions?

the tortex ones i find are the easiest gripped and are very durable , dropping picks is a regular thing for me , nothing to do with a thumb joint either , just clumsy. i'll pick up a couple of gibson ones next time i'm in a shop because of u all sayin how great they are , but i can see myself droppin em :-)

I don't think you're gonna like this........but, I find different plastic containers that my wife has for disposal. I proceed to cut them up and shape 'em to get just the right thickness and “shape “ I'm looking for. Different plastic jugs are different thicknesses. So, I got a collection of 'em goin'. No $70.00 picks for this country kid.

I don't think you're gonna like this........but, I find different plastic containers that my wife has for disposal. I proceed to cut them up and shape 'em to get just the right thickness and "shape " I'm looking for. Different plastic jugs are different thicknesses. So, I got a collection of 'em goin'. No $70.00 picks for this country kid.

I cut my picks out of old credit cards for years.

Not because I thought they sounded or felt better....but because money was tight in my younger days.

There are still of of my old picks in a few of my guitrar cases.

This reminds me of the AGF on-going discussion of instrument cables which I let my curiosity get the better of me and bought an expensive brand... it was like dragging around a transmission line behind my guitar and honestly, if there is a difference, my ears couldn't discern it! I've tried a lot of picks... even some that I paid $5 for, but never in my life would I expect to see a pick go for $35 - $70! Unless maybe, it was a pick once used by John Lennon or something of that nature! I like the Tortex triangle, it's tactile feel and it's size suits my hand. I normally play one until it's worn out, if it feels "right"... others I pick up use once and throw away because it didn't feel "right"... of course not a big decision with a $.25 pick...

One thing I fond with the Tortex picks is that they really wear out quickly, and I was shocked how much of a difference in tone there is between the same Tortex pick, such as Orange or Yellow that has been used for a month and the same brand new one. The worn one sounded dull compared to the new one. One of the reasons why I moved to Gibson Medium picks as they last much, much longer.

i've been using the ultex picks for a few years and really like them. they sound great and last for a really long time. And i have about 300 of em so they're lying everywhere.

Recently i've started getting into the heavier picks. 1.4mm and 2.0mm i never thought i'd like 'em that heavy but over the last few months i've started to. we'll see if it lasts ;)

Archived