Gibson Brands Forums

Heading back to Illinois

Silenced Fred

Got one last final than taking off from FoCo around 11:30 with plans to drive straight through. Anything worth seeing along I-80 through Nebraska, Iowa and then Illinois?

Making it public to alert the cops? Or hoping there are forum members along the way to bail you out if you need it?

Got one last final than taking off from FoCo around 11:30 with plans to drive straight through. Anything worth seeing along I-80 through Nebraska, Iowa and then Illinois?

Uhhhhh,,,, :unsure:

no. [blush]

If you are into home auto repair there is a JCWhitney warehouse at Utica, IL.

Corn fields!

You'll be psyched when you come to a curve in the road...[scared] [scared]

Just map quested it. 15 hours! [scared]

Ahhh. to be young and resilient again. I remember those days.

Pound of beef jerky, 6 pack of Cokes, case of cassette tapes and only stopping for gas (no extra potty stops). Those were the days. [thumbup]

Enjoy them while you can Fred.

By my caluclations, when you hit Utica, JCWhitney will be closed. You could stop in La Salle/Peru for a Massage. [sneaky]

Me and my ex drove a Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon from Denver Co. to Stonington Ct. in a little under 3 days up I80 AAALLLL the way to New Jersey, and the WORST part of the drive was through Pennsylvania, ARROW straight road, up-down-up-down, and a dead deer every mile...talk about monotonous...

Cheapest gas is in Iowa (per Gasbuddy.com).

Sapp Brothers at LaSalle Ill. is fairly cheap and they say it is a great truck stop. (I've never been)

OH, and a bag of Chocolate Donette's goes good with beef jerky and Coke.

[woot]

OH, and a bag of Chocolate Donette's goes good with beef jerky and Coke.

Dude, I'm getting rot gut just reading your road food suggestions. Whatever happened to a batter, a full box, and Black Sabbath's first four albums?

Dude, I'm getting rot gut just reading your road food suggestions. Whatever happened to a batter, a full box, and Black Sabbath's first four albums?

I've loaded up on Wilco, City and Colour, Fleet Foxes and some Beatles, Band of Skulls and Raconteurs and heavier stuff for the late night driving so I don't fall asleep. I got a 4 pack of red bull (awful I know, but it works) and a box of granola bars and fruit snacks [thumbup]

I've loaded up on Wilco, City and Colour, Fleet Foxes and some Beatles, Band of Skulls and Raconteurs and heavier stuff for the late night driving so I don't fall asleep. I got a 4 pack of red bull (awful I know, but it works) and a box of granola bars and fruit snacks [thumbup]

Guess that is better than trucker speed and lot lizards......

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Have a safe trip.

Cudda told yah better 30 years ago - but seriously, I-80 tends to have excellent truck stops along the way.

For what it's worth, when I used to make a lot of similar trips, I'd stock up on grapefruit juice (usually I'm a coffee and OJ fiend). A thermos or two of coffee for the morning; a light lunch and potty stop; then the grapefruit juice until dark when the coffee thermoses come out again.

And.. munchies that don't crumble onto the shirt, jeans and driver's seat.

I think there are a couple Cabellas stores in Nebraska fairly close to the Interstate, if that sorta thing trips your trigger.

But it's a long, long drive and on roads where highway hypnosis is only too easy, especially at night. Frankly after having done that sorta thing for years, nowadays I knock off after 10-12 hours at a truck stop motel. Some of 'em used to be just a closet with a bed, but clean and cheap - and you're not falling asleep on the road where there might still be slippery spots anyway.

m

I drive back to NJ from Chicago at least twice a year to see family: it's ~12 hours, with a head-messing time zone change in Indiana (worse coming home than going out.) Also, I imagine in PA, Route 80 is far more interesting: the mountains are breathtaking, esp. in the fall. it's only 12 hours, just two tanks of gas and i'm there.

have a safe trip!

Ahh, what can I say. That was #&^*^&%teen years ago when I was 20. I could eat anything. Now... it shows.

And Fred, keep the Blueberry on.

Everyone: Try to check in on Fred every once in a while by posting a response. A vibrating pocket ought to keep the boy awake.

Archived