Gibson Brands Forums

Tired of carrying a half stack

awel

Find yourself a combo that works best for what you play then sell off your stacks

As I am not in band right now, I am selling my 2 heads (Marshall DSL100 and Ceriatone 1987x) then I will start the quest but I have had a Fender Blues deluxe and was very happy but perhaps I am looking for more versatility, that's why I am thinking about a Mesa 5:25 or a fender Supersonic 22W, don't know what is the best choice yet.

As I am not in band right now, I am selling my 2 heads (Marshall DSL100 and Ceriatone 1987x) then I will start the quest but I have had a Fender Blues deluxe and was very happy but perhaps I am looking for more versatility, that's why I am thinking about a Mesa 5:25 or a fender Supersonic 22W, don't know what is the best choice yet.

You could keep the Ceriatone and move the chassis into a combo cabinet. I don't have that particular amp but I do have their 50watt OTS and I plan on turning it into a combo amp.

You could keep the Ceriatone and move the chassis into a combo cabinet. I don't have that particular amp but I do have their 50watt OTS and I plan on turning it into a combo amp.

I really like the crunch tone of the ceriatone but I found it not very ...versatile

I think most of the older guys here are pretty similar in experience. I quit hauling the big heavy stuff at age 35. Didn't need it; didn't wanna haul it.

I still have a big 120-watt tube dual 12-inch amp - luckily on wheels - that is somewhere around 90 pounds with cords and stuff in the back. It ain't left the house in about five years. It'll darned near break windows at 10, but I haven't had much need for that lately. Come to think of it, I didn't need that when I got it.

Instead now I've got two travel rigs: One a 35-watt SS Kustom A-E amp designed for guitar in one side and mike into the other; it's attached to a suitcase travel wheel thingie. The second is a cheap little PA system that goes on a light two-wheel cart.

As for the Deluxe Reverb... I had no problems with it vs a Bandmaster, Bassman, drummer and tube PA back in the olden days. It didn't do much for the teen and 20s ego, so I swapped for the big 120-watter that I gigged with five or six years of weekends. That swap was the biggest gear mistake I ever made.

I've seen road bands running with very few individual pieces over 40 pounds. Not rock, though, where appearance seems to trump practicality and sound.

m

and we could use the extra room in the van for the drummers ego :)

ha ha ! Try lugging around a drum set with hardware and cymbals... I'm down to a 4 piece set with two cymbals and it's still the set-up & tear down drudge... forget the house drums that haven't seen maintenance in 20 years... minimum set up is my snare & cymbals.

As far as the guitar amp goes, I have a lowly Fender Super Champ XD and mike it.... my 4x12 stack stays in the home "studio".

I'm tired of lugging my ac30 around. There's no way in hell I'd lug around a stack. The day I get roadies is the day I get a big *** stack.

What can be really frustrating is trying to cram a big 4x12 into your corolla. Oh hey nice headliner. I'm gonna miss you baby.

I'm not worried about weight, they make hand trucks for that. But even in the "Two Stacks or Go Home" days I never understood it. Combos are so much more manageable and versatile, and you can actually hear the drummer without micing him through the PA. And if you're going to mic the drummer, you might as well mic the guitars. Well, Combos are much more mic friendly than a Stack.

Give me two 12's or four 10's and I'm good [thumbup]

We use pretty big mains for our set up because the vocals sound so good through 2 JBL 215 cabs, we use JBL 112's for monitors. Most bands our size use 112's or 115s for Mains and 10's form monitors. Point is, if it's sonically worth it, we make the extra effort. Huge guitar amps just don't sound better than a decent sized combo, quite the opposite.

I guess it just depends on what kind of music and shows you're playing. If you're playing in a doom metal band and everyone wants to feel their pants blow around you should probably have like a wall of stacks. If you're playing in bars and stuff a combo would probably be ideal.

Are you saying stacks are harder to mic because of the slanted cabs or something? It seems like it would be easy enough to me.

Eh, I'm old and it'll be awhile before I give up my halfstack. I have a bad back but there's always someone to help me lug it. My band is loud and that's what people have come to expect and I like it that way.

Ah, if I had any use for a stack I would get one.

I am thinking of either one 212 for my two heads or 2 112s, mainly because I already have a 112.

Back in the 70s I used to gig with a Traynor Custom Reverb head with a 2-12 cabinet.With a 35W RMS rating it was plenty loud for medium sized clubs and even large ones if they were laid out properly.The 2-12 cab wasn't at all heavy and the head was only about 25lbs so for a fairly large set up it wasn't all that bulky to gig with and it had a killer tone.

Having done a lot of live work from the other side of the mixing board, I'd also observer that 4X12's are some of the most difficult cabinets for a sound guy to deal with. I don't know why, but they seem to have two problems. First, the person playing one always seems to have trouble hearing their own instrument on stage. Second, 4X12's seem to beam sound forward at a very narrow dispersion angle. I've walked around a room and found that a Marshaill 4X12 is often really loud in the center of the room, but very quiet to anyone who is sitting at more than a 45 degree angle to the cab. This makes it impossible to get a good balance across the whole room, unless the guitarist is quiet enough to put the guitar in the PA ( something which occurrs with the same regularity as blue moons, flying pigs, and singers that help move equipment). I don't typically see these problems with combos, especially open-backed ones.

I guess it just depends on what kind of music and shows you're playing. If you're playing in a doom metal band and everyone wants to feel their pants blow around you should probably have like a wall of stacks. If you're playing in bars and stuff a combo would probably be ideal.

Are you saying stacks are harder to mic because of the slanted cabs or something? It seems like it would be easy enough to me.

No, it's just that when you mic one of 8 speakers you're really not capturing the sound you're producing (in my experience, but keep in mind I'm a player not a sound engineer). With a combo, particularly a 112, you pretty much get exactly the sound from your amp through the P.A.

"Easier" was probably the wrong word for it, but there you have it.

Having done a lot of live work from the other side of the mixing board, I'd also observer that 4X12's are some of the most difficult cabinets for a sound guy to deal with. I don't know why, but they seem to have two problems. First, the person playing one always seems to have trouble hearing their own instrument on stage. Second, 4X12's seem to beam sound forward at a very narrow dispersion angle. I've walked around a room and found that a Marshaill 4X12 is often really loud in the center of the room, but very quiet to anyone who is sitting at more than a 45 degree angle to the cab. This makes it impossible to get a good balance across the whole room, unless the guitarist is quiet enough to put the guitar in the PA ( something which occurrs with the same regularity as blue moons, flying pigs, and singers that help move equipment). I don't typically see these problems with combos, especially open-backed ones.

THAT is why I followed Dicky Betts lead, 100w head on an OPEN BACK cab.

you just get better dispersion of sound that way.

I also think 10's make a better 1/2 stack cab, they are just tighter and more responsive than 12's IMHO.

I have always wondered about that if 4X10 would make a decent cab. I prefer the closed back sound but have considered the 4X10.

I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Avatar site, I shopped them and got a complete cab for under $400 LOADED with run of the mill Celestion 30w.

The combo amps that I used for gigging when heads and cabs became too much were a Traynor Mk. III and a Peavey Deuce.The Traynor had 2 channels with reverb and tremolo as did the Peavey.Both amps were rated above 100W and sounded pretty clean even when driven hard. They were excellent amps for gigging and could move just about as much air as a 4-12 half stack.Sadly I sold both of them and that's something that I'll always regret.

I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Avatar site

I totally agree. I have been using a couple of their 2-12s for years now.

I mixed a V30 and a G12H30 in one of mine and a Greenback and a G12H30

in the other. Their semi-open design is mucho nice!

brownback.jpg

Luggage-Carrier-with-Extensible-Handle-GZS100-.jpg

Gotta bring it up the stairs? Well...start lifting weights my friend.

=D> Not to mention, there's usually more than one member in a band. Three or Four guys should be able to get everything up some stairs. I live and play in the mountains, everything is Up Stairs!

=D> Not to mention, there's usually more than one member in a band. Three or Four guys should be able to get everything up some stairs. I live and play in the mountains, everything is Up Stairs!

Exactly, ask a someone you know to help you and then buy them a drink...or bribe them a drink. [lol]

Archived