Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Taylor last night.....

onewilyfool

I played my friends Taylor Grand Concert Koa B&S guitar last night. Taylor for years soured me on their brand, the were thin sounding and just felt cheap some how....I also haven't had much success finding any Koa guitar I liked, finding their sound brittle and jangly for the most part. THEN I played this Taylor last night...WOW.....First, I know they CNC most of their stuff,and assemble more than luthier their guitars, BUT they have one thing down because of this, and that is the neck. This was a true, dead straight (no relief) neck that played flawlessly from one end of the fretboard to the other.....no buzzing, low action...just a joy to play. Next the tone was outstanding, played lightly or dug into, just a beautiful sounding guitar. Lastly, the Koa was just remarkably beautiful....for a wood that is supposed to be almost extinct....I have no idea where Taylor gets their Koa year after year for their guitars, but this was AAA flamed Koa...wow. This guitar, and a taylor playing trip to Guitar showcase, have convinced me that Taylors are VERY good guitars to consider.

This guitar, and a taylor playing trip to Guitar showcase, have convinced me that Taylors are VERY good guitars to consider.

Hmmm.... what kind of magic mushroom risotto did you have before this little venture, wily?

Seriously, I do like the sound of some Taylors, but I love my Gibsons. Life is confusing enough between my Martins and Gibsons. I think I'd better not think about more guitars right now. I'm struggling to find an excuse to buy another one, since I can't even play all the guitars I already own.

Hmmm.... what kind of magic mushroom risotto did you have before this little venture, wily?

Seriously, I do like the sound of some Taylors, but I love my Gibsons. Life is confusing enough between my Martins and Gibsons. I think I'd better not think about more guitars right now. I'm struggling to find an excuse to buy another one, since I can't even play all the guitars I already own.

LOL...I hear you......enough is enough

I've had two Taylor 354 12 stringers and a 514. All had incredibly comfortable necks, but absolutely no low end. Couldn't dig any bass out, no matter how hard I tried. I played an 810 at Hill Country Music a couple of weeks ago with the same result. Never have tried a Koa model.

I love Taylors for the most part! I had a 354 12 stringer as well and loved it. BUT, I for all the 12 strings I've owned I end up playing them a LOT the first month and then they sit in their cases so I sold the 12 to buy my HB. I like the Gibson growl as opposed to the Taylor chime though. Just my personal preference!

I had a low end Taylor and a Baby Taylor at one time. I never cared for either one. The sound was too bright. If I had the money for a high end Taylor it might be different. Of course if I had the money for a high end Taylor, I would just get another Gibson.

In my local guitar shop there are currently 8 Gibsons and arond 20 Taylors sitting side by side, so i get a chance to compare a lot.

My usual reaction to Taylor is at first its quite an impressive tone, so pure and ringing, clear, great neck and playability. But aftar about 10 mins of playing my interest wanes and I realise there is really little soul and depth to the tone.

Having said that my two favourite Taylors are the all Koa GA (wiht a price tag of $6k believe it or not) and a small bodied 812ce. I find the small bodied Taylors sound the best and if somebody gave me that guitar for xmas i would not thrwo it back in their face .. :rolleyes:

Well, I don't hate any guitar and have learned never say never. But I have yet to meet a Taylor that I would take home with me.

I actually prefer the sound of the cheaper offshore Taylors to the high dollars made in the U.S.A. ones. The upper ends are just way too freakin' bright sounding for me.

Don't know, maybe Taylors are just too refined or civilized for me.

I like the Gibson growl as opposed to the Taylor chime though.

My thoughts exactly! I played a Taylor guitar that was produced in the first couple of years that Taylor started making guitars. That was a very fine guitar that sounded incredible. I also played a Taylor that was an '09 model. It sounded like like crap to be perfectly honest. Like Wiley says, a good feel on the neck but that was it. "tinny" sounding. I believe the first Taylors made were good, the ones made now are just a factory-built, production line guitar. I'll take my Gibsons, thank you!

I can certainly relate to AND understand why on the GIBBY forum, Taylors might seem lacking in soul. I mean, if "soul" is the thing, and you are comparing to Gibson, that is not really a fair contest.

But, I should also think there would be a lot of respect for the brand. I doubt anyone who knows a little about guitars could say they don't make a damned fine guitar.

At my last trip to GC (not really the best place to know what is what) I wanted to check to see just WHAT Taylor had. They had some dreads made of Sapele going for a grand, and were made in USA. Git to have respect for that. Was a very well built guitar, and played very good.

I (almost) always say, it comes down to the individual guitar.

To pledge blind allegiance to any guitar or to conversely totally rule out any guitar based on the name on the headstock seems a bit overboard to me. Now if you simply don't care for a guitars looks or size, then that's one thing, but you never know what guitar is going to surprise you (be it good or bad) until you actually play the thing.

How did you measure it?

Sorry I didn't explain my point better, the Oo is only meant to be symbolic of the difference in viscosity/thickness of the two materials. I'm not sorry that I think poly should only be used on floors... poly is an inexpensive, but beautiful finish for Taylor, Alvarez, etc... Gibson, Martin, Collings, etc put in the extra expense of nitro in their products and the acoustics are better, imo. best wishes

I've always thought that Taylors were good guitars. My only problem with them is that they look and sound too "modern." And I agree about the bass. It's not the growl/thud of a Gibson, and not the rumble of a Martin. It's a different tone than a Gibson or Martin have. I've owned two 'Taylors, might have been three, but I can't remember for sure). Didn't keep any of them very long. I'd play them, but just could not bond with them. It's more a personal thing than whither Taylors are good guitars are not. Most of them are very nice. For me, Taylors are the girl you meet in college and take home to meet your folks. Gibsons (and most Martins) are the girl you meet at the bar and that's were you take her.

Anyway....I think Taylors are fine.

Folks accuse Gibson of being overpriced, but Taylor takes the biscuit. I have to say, that price point aside, they're nice guitars. Lovely necks, sweet, winsome tone, nothing that would stir your soul like an SJ200 or have the power to go excavating like an AJ, but they're nice.

With regard to the bass issue, I think Taylors grow a bigger bottom as time goes by...Ron Sexsmith has a 10yr old Taylor which has the bottom end of a D28, tons of chunk. It's been his main stage guitar for a very long time, and I'd say ol' Sexy know a thing or two regarding the ideal tone for a singer/songwriter.

I wouldn't buy one though. In the UK you'd pay the same for a 7-series or 8-series Taylor as you would an SJ200. The choice there is not a hard one to make, in my humble opinion!

I'd happily play one if it was gratis, thanks to an endorsement deal or something. However, I don't think that's likely to happen...

In Prague, same shop a J-200 costs 3000euro while a 910 is going at $5000euro .... and this paticular 910 also sounds rubbish, although the J-200 is pretty diappointing also. But a 2k difference .. ??

Folks accuse Gibson of being overpriced, but Taylor takes the biscuit. I have to say, that price point aside, they're nice guitars. Lovely necks, sweet, winsome tone, nothing that would stir your soul like an SJ200 or have the power to go excavating like an AJ, but they're nice.

With regard to the bass issue, I think Taylors grow a bigger bottom as time goes by...Ron Sexsmith has a 10yr old Taylor which has the bottom end of a D28, tons of chunk. It's been his main stage guitar for a very long time, and I'd say ol' Sexy know a thing or two regarding the ideal tone for a singer/songwriter.

I wouldn't buy one though. In the UK you'd pay the same for a 7-series or 8-series Taylor as you would an SJ200. The choice there is not a hard one to make, in my humble opinion!

I'd happily play one if it was gratis, thanks to an endorsement deal or something. However, I don't think that's likely to happen...

Archived