Gibson Brands Forums

Blues School

onewilyfool

True vintage delta blues has a character and definity all of its own, albeit Piedmont style, jump, Memphis, Texas, whatever category you can come up with - and, yes, it all originated from the black men singing stories about their hardships during that time. But, in our world today, I don't believe the black man has the distinct ownership of that particular genre' of music. Yeah, the blues is a categorization and style of music, but to play it like you mean you gotta know it and live it - both from your perspective as a musician, and from the perspective of the common man who has some miles on the inner soul. There are tons of posers and scholars out there, then there are those in the know. Those that have earned the right, and show it and pay homage to it everytime they pick up a guitar. Most of us, as musicians, recognize it when we see it...

For the record, I have to agree with John Mayall and Eric Clapton...add Stevie Ray, of course. Maybe Walter Trout, too.

My favorite white blues singers, tho? Hands down - Delbert McClinton, and Gregg Allman.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"to play it like you mean you gotta know it and live it" --probably why Im more partial to acoustic bluesmen like Paul Rishell, Paul Geremia, and Steve James. More nuance. But even then, there's Alvin Youngblood Hart:

Gallows Pole:

Illinois Blues:

Well..I totally agree with John Lee Walker

And to prove it here is a skinny white girl from Streatham, South London

JoAnnKelly.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/joannkelly

-- Jo Ann Kelly -- seemed to slip through the cracks, mostly because she favored the acoustic, Delta style rather than rocking out with a heavy band behind her. But with a huge voice, and a strong guitar style influenced by Memphis Minnie and Charley Patton, she was the queen. Just as her voice and style was really maturing ......In 1988, Kelly began to suffer from headaches. In 1989 she had an operation to remove a malignant brain tumour.She died in October 1990, at the age of 46.

On her myspace page especially check out "Someday Baby" has been one of my favorite Blues for a long time

I love this thread! I can't keep up with the clips and names but it will keep me busy for days to come!

I don't really want to change direction but any views on Seasick Steve? I like what I hear of his stuff on the radio and he seems to have found "his place" and making a few quid as well.

I haven't bought his cd yet. Great title though!

JK, I'd pay good money to spend a day going through your record/cd collection. The Youtube clips you've posted are pure class. Thanks so much.

OK, since to obtain legendary status in these matters, it helps to be called Albert..............not why I chose my name!

Blues/Country/Bluegrass.................you decide.

Keep a close look out for Eric Clapton in the audience!

What's really key in blues its pitting the guitar in answer to the vocal part, so what you have is call and response, ideally with some tension building in the waiting (hardest part). It's a natural with a church raising, maybe not so much coming from outside it. Anyway, its why sheer pyrotechnics on guitar (or any instrument) by itself doesnt get it, quite. Bluesy but not The Blues.

ps glad everyone is enjoying the clips.

Perhaps. Some are closer than others -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hGMgyhNgzI

i think you nailed it with the albert collins link. absolutely soaked in feeling. you feel every note and every pause - tension and release then right back to tension. pure beauty.

i think clapton misses the mark. i've always seen him as a bit of a caricature, just mimicking the greats. and he looks like an off-duty stocker broker to boot. but no disrespect intended, jk. you are still the man in my book.

i think clapton misses the mark. i've always seen him as a bit of a caricature' date=' just mimicking the greats. and he looks like an off-duty stocker broker to boot. but no disrespect intended, jk. you are still the man in my book.[/quote']

Try this version instead.

i should also add my second favourite..

i thought this fella did a great job impersonating blind willie johnson in the wenders movie...which can't be said about the fella that played skip. still, great documentary.

"he looks like an off-duty stocker broker to boot." No dis taken, but I would say looks can deceive. My opinion of him went up a notch when I saw this one.

. BUt right you are, jumps around a lot sytlistically.

Diago, thanks for Skip & Blind Willie. Keep em coming.

I say John Mayall and Eric Clapton are the best white blues men on earth..

Check out:

Eric Sardinas

Sonny Landreth

Johnny Winter

Steady Rollin Bob Margolin

Dereck Trucks and Doyle Bramhall III (both of which have enhanced Clapton's sound in recent years)

Dion....Yes, Why Must I Be A Teenager in Love Dion....Has two great blues CDs.

There's a bunch I'm not even mentioning.

Check out:

Eric Sardinas

Sonny Landreth

Johnny Winter

Steady Rollin Bob Margolin

Dereck Trucks and Doyle Bramhall III (both of which have enhanced Clapton's sound in recent years)

Dion....Yes' date=' Why Must I Be A Teenager in Love Dion....Has two great blues CDs.

There's a bunch I'm not even mentioning.

[/quote']

You mean Doyle Bramhall II ;)

Doyle Bramhall II is seriously really talented!

Saw him live last year with EC..

He was fantastic..

after the concert I bought a CD of his..

and thought it was a little bit too electronic for my taste..

But his performance in Session for Robert J

he played some fantastic slide guitar!

+1 on Dion. I have both of his Blues CD's, " Bronx in Blue" and "Son of Skip James", and they are both excellent. He grew up loving the blues. I'd defy anyone listening to either of these albums, never having heard them before, guessing that it is in fact Dion doing the singing and acoustic guitar work. Great stuff!!

Archived