Gibson Brands Forums

Any 12 fret FANS?

Eyecon

Anyone have experience with a 12 fret Gibson SJ200? If so, what tonal difference is there vs. a

14 fret? There is one on ebay that I'm quite interested in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Gibson-SJ-200-12-Fret-Sunburst-Maple-Custom-Shop-Limited-Edition-Guitar-/320819172475?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ab250147b#ht_1001wt_1059

Thanks in advanced Gibson Guru's!

I've played one 12-fret, J-200. And, Paul, I know that we have the same tastes in guitars and I know that, like me, you would have loved this one: a prototype Roy Rogers model. Yep, with the crazy-cool, wide, rope binding and Roy's name in big, pearl script on the fretboard. It was when I was at Gibson in Nashville taking pics of those 4,400 pages of ledgers. I was told that the Roy Rogers estate had refused to authorize its production.

Anyway, a 12-fret J-200 is a wonderful thing. I'd love to play another. A number of the very first SJ-200s were 12-fretters.

So pretty much a 12 fret SJ200 would have an even more pronounced deep base. Maybe too much huh?

Well, the maple offsets the width/depth to an extent, but I'd imagine one of these would be more on the resonant/sublime end of things, as opposed to crisp and clear. A concert hall job, not a folkie.

• 2 years later...

My first post to this forum, as I just bought that 12 Fret SJ 200 Custom that was originally sold by Mandolin Brothers to someone in MA. I've had it a few days now and it's fantastic (once I replaced the very old strings). The shorter neck is very noticeable, but the sound is fantastic.

Welcome, congratulations, and thank you. Thanks for saving me from myself, that is. I had also been on the trail of that one, having had a few conversations with the seller (and with Mandolin Bros- they did indeed remember it). Acoustic curiosity almost got the better of me: the idea of that guitar- that super jumbo bass clarity coupled with the intimacy of the short scale... almost too hard to resist. But you've put me back on course, because there's been something old, something sunburst that's been out there waiting...

Play it in good health, and don't be a stranger around here!

I've played one 12-fret, J-200. And, Paul, I know that we have the same tastes in guitars and I know that, like me, you would have loved this one: a prototype Roy Rogers model. Yep, with the crazy-cool, wide, rope binding and Roy's name in big, pearl script on the fretboard. It was when I was at Gibson in Nashville taking pics of those 4,400 pages of ledgers. I was told that the Roy Rogers estate had refused to authorize its production.

Anyway, a 12-fret J-200 is a wonderful thing. I'd love to play another. A number of the very first SJ-200s were 12-fretters.

John ,

Would you happen to have a picture of that roy rogers sj 200 ?

Thanks

JC

I haven't played a Gibson 12 fret, but I do like 12 fret guitars and have played many different brands. I have a very nice Wechter TO (triple-O) 8418 12 fret slot head that sounds great. 12 fretters are a different animal with different bridge placement that for the most part produces a slightly deeper, focused bass response and more pronounced mids for fingerstyle playing. My Wechter has a nice round, full balanced and focused tone with good bass. The downside is limited access to playing up the neck. I play Irish/Celtic in DADGAD and often capo up to the 10th fret on my 14 fret guitars. With a 12 fretter, capoing on the 7th fret is pushing it. But they're great for playing open and capoing up to the 5th fret while offering a different tonal personality. BTW, I like the sound of the J200 12 fret in the video.

DC

John ,

Would you happen to have a picture of that roy rogers sj 200 ?

Thanks

JC

The guitar in question is actually a Gene Autry J-200. There are many photos of Gene playing his and it can be seen in the Fab. Flat-top book.

The guitar in question is actually a Gene Autry J-200. There are many photos of Gene playing his and it can be seen in the Fab. Flat-top book.

Oops! Got the wrong cowboy! Yes, a replica of this:

gene-autry-with-guitar.jpg

No, I didn't take any pics (and probably wouldn't have been allowed to do so.

We have a lot of 12-fret Gibsons -- but none are new.

Here are the best two:

Smecks.jpg

These are both extraordinary guitars. The 35 RSRG is the equal of the old bones from the same period, and the 36 RSSD is the strongest guitar I have eve played.

Let's pick,

-Tom

John ,

No problem I got plenty of pictures of that one.

You just got me excited wheb you mentioned roy rogers.

JC

If it helps, I did get a photo of myself play Roy's Super 400 (while managing to dislodge the pickguard while doing so):

JohnwithRoysGuitar-1.jpg

:)

We have a lot of 12-fret Gibsons -- but none are new.

Here are the best two:

Smecks.jpg

These are both extraordinary guitars. The 35 RSRG is the equal of the old bones from the same period, and the 36 RSSD is the strongest guitar I have eve played.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Just gorgeous!

Archived