Gibson Brands Forums

I want this.....

Bluesbrekr

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-i-p90-electric-guitar

Yes it's a bolt on neck, but I can't resist the P90 configuration.

Any peeps here that have bought it?

Yes, I have one! It's a must get, the price alone is all the justification you will need.

I bought it because I wanted to get an idea about those P-90s everyone here has been talking about. Wow! This little cheapy can really scream!

I was going to mod one of my guitars with one or two P-90s but I got this whole package for less than the price of two P-90s. Can't beat that with a stick. Yes, there will be some mods down the road for this one: Tuners suck so they are going to go first and would like to adjust intonation so a Badass bridge is alos planned. But in it's current configuration, it does play well. Now if only I did.

Love to see Gibson and Epiphone introducing more P-90 models! They're great PU's. If you want to beef up the bridge PU, to get more mids and punch, you can replace a magnet or two. They come stock, liek most P-90's, with twin A5's. I put an A8/A4 or A8/A5 in most of my bridge P-90's, which gives them a richer, fuller tone.

I always get a chuckle when these threads about "Bolt-on's" come around. The debate still rages, despite the obvious fact that there is no real difference in tone between bolt-ons and set necks.

Now before we get all upset, let me explain. I'm almost certain that a huge percentage of us own a bolt on neck guitar. Lots of Fender products are talked about here. If they are so much worse in the tone department, why do so many of us own them? And why do we still own them?

A bolt on neck, when properly fitted is as good as a set neck.

OMG!! Did he say that on an Epi forum!? Yes, he did.

As for working on a guitar, the bolt on neck is way easier than a set neck.

Also, if the guitar ever did fall, and the neck did break, it is again much easier to replace.

1) I'm almost certain that a huge percentage of us own a bolt on neck guitar.

2) Lots of Fender products are talked about here. If they are so much worse in the tone department, why do so many of us own them? And why do we still own them?

3) As for working on a guitar, the bolt on neck is way easier than a set neck.

Also, if the guitar ever did fall, and the neck did break, it is again much easier to replace.

1) My only bolt-on is a Steinbereger Spirit travel guitar, not something I'd normally play. I say, give me a set-neck Epi anyday!

2) Some guys have a very high tolerence for treble and twang; I don't. Yes, Fender guitars are talked about here, but not necessarily in glowing terms.

3) I've owned guitars for over 40 years and have never broken or cracked a neck. Don't understand how an adult could even do that. This is not a selling point unless you're extremely clumsy, in which case you probably shouldn't driving or handling sharp objects either (like silverware). Who breaks necks on their guitars? Do you drop your TV's on the floor too?

1) My only bolt-on is a Steinbereger Spirit travel guitar, not something I'd normally play. I say, give me a set-neck Epi anyday!

2) Some guys have a very high tolerence for treble and twang; I don't. Yes, Fender guitars are talked about here, but not necessarily in glowing terms.

Some of the world's best players favour(ed) Fenders, a well fitted bolt-on will sustain and ring out just fine.

If you think the screws aren't enough you can always make it a true bolt-on.

_Hembry_LowProToaster-07.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I own a couple Fenders (in addition to many Epis)so I'm not 'against' bolt-on necks. I'll have to get to my local GC and check it out.

Fretter, are you going to keep the stock pups or upgrade? I'm wondering how the stock ones would compare to the GFS P90's.

Thanks for the replies. I own a couple Fenders (in addition to many Epis)so I'm not 'against' bolt-on necks. I'll have to get to my local GC and check it out.

Fretter, are you going to keep the stock pups or upgrade? I'm wondering how the stock ones would compare to the GFS P90's.

Hi Blues,

No for now, I'm going to keep the stock pups. I may spend the outerageous price for the Gibs later, but I've read that they are really close if not as good as Gibs so not really sure yet.

Some of the world's best players favour(ed) Fenders

Absolutely. Some of my favorite players use(d) Strats, like Hendrix, Blackmore, Healey, Johnson, Gallagher, and Trower. My beef is with the average player who has no idea how to dial in the EQ on his Strat, and tortures hapless audiences with onslaughts of piercing treble all night (those that haven't walked out, anyways). Where I live (Florida) most guys have Strats; I don't know why. Most of them sound so thin and tinny. Seems like the majority are like sheep, just wandering around aimlessly following the crowd without giving their guitar selection any thought. I love to take an Epi LP or Sheraton to gigs and jams, and show those Fender boys a thing or two about tone.

Absolutely. Some of my favorite players use(d) Strats, like Hendrix, Blackmore, Healey, Johnson, Gallagher, and Trower. My beef is with the average player who has no idea how to dial in the EQ on his Strat, and tortures hapless audiences with onslaughts of piercing treble all night (those that haven't walked out, anyways). Where I live (Florida) most guys have Strats; I don't know why. Most of them sound so thin and tinny. Seems like the majority are like sheep, just wandering around aimlessly following the crowd without giving their guitar selection any thought. I love to take an Epi LP or Sheraton to gigs and jams, and show those Fender boys a thing or two about tone.

LOL. There are a lot of tone deaf players around. They play all kinds of guitars, not just Strats.

You're right. If you don't dial it back, the treble can make any guitar sound awful.

Just like too much base makes a guitar sound muddy.

If you don't dial it back, the treble can make any guitar sound awful.

hey Gordy,

Just in reference to those nasty, high, ear piercing strat sounds.

I did a simple little mod on my Squier protone strat a little while back that eliminated a lot of these awful tones or lack of. [cursing]

I took out the switch selector and rewired it so that the second tone pot for the middle pup also controlled the bridge pup. A very simple procedure

involving a 4cm piece of wire and a soldering iron.

Now I can pull back that awful ear piercing, teeth grinding note that we, lovers of fine tones, cannot stand.

If you've got a strat, it's worth it to your ears and teeth to try that mod. Works for me.

Cheers

Paul

If you don't dial it back, the treble can make any guitar sound awful.

hey Gordy,

Just in reference to those nasty, high, ear piercing strat sounds.

I did a simple little mod on my Squier protone strat a little while back that eliminated a lot of these awful tones or lack of. [cursing]

I took out the switch selector and rewired it so that the second tone pot for the middle pup also controlled the bridge pup. A very simple procedure

involving a 4cm piece of wire and a soldering iron.

Now I can pull back that awful ear piercing, teeth grinding note that we, lovers of fine tones, cannot stand.

If you've got a strat, it's worth it to your ears and teeth to try that mod. Works for me.

Cheers

Paul

I've done the same for mine. But I've gone to one volume, one tone on mine too.

I had to get that top knob outa my way.

I do repairs and setups part time, and I always ask my customers if they want me to wire the second tone to control the bridge also. You're right. Without that the bridge can only be controlled with the amp settings.

But enough about our Strats. I did not mean to hijack this thread.

Archived