Gibson Brands Forums

My conflicted emotions about Paul McCartney

heymisterk

(Smile)....Well, to each his/her own. I've never been one to tell other's what they should or should not like, in genre, or style.

And, I make my own decision, in that regard, as well. I like what I like, regardless. A lot of music that other's just "live" for,

I can't abide. And, vice versa, I'm sure. No biggie!

Stroll on... [biggrin]

CB

It's all good. Sorry, reread my post and probably should have put a smiley or wink emoticon 'cause it can be read as a little acidic, which wasn't my intent.

Paul's solo works were some outstanding, some good and some I don't care for.

Early on in the Beatles John certainly wrote or primarily wrote many of the big hits and Paul came on strong early on with the ultra mega-hit Yesterday and later in the Beatles with their longest running number 1 - Hey Jude, my all time favorite song and it doesn't even have a lead solo in it.

I hear your conflicted emotions and share some of them but one thing I think is that the man is a genius and has brought me much happiness in my life with some his songs right there when significant events happened. That kind of emotional connection is hard to match by any writer for me.

So, for those of you who have an opinion, what do you think? :-k

Saw him with Wings in Venice Italy in 76, one of the damned best concerts I've seen & heard in my life! Thank you Paul for a hell of a show unlike the stink'n rolling stones in 78 in NJ where they were late over 2 hours and played maybe 25 minutes!

Also, Johh had a tendency, to trash his own stuff, as well!

[biggrin]

CB

John could really be very unappreciative to some of the people he worked with. He was never happy with anything that he did, either solo or as a Beatle, and sometimes George Martin rightfully took it as an insult to his unbelievable production work. Lennon called the way "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" was made abysmal, and also said he was not happy with the way that "Strawberry Fields Forever" turned out. He also, in the Playboy interviews, took credit for most of "Eleanor Rigby", of which his contribution was almost nil.

IMO, between Paul and John, Paul was more musical and had a better feel for melody. John was more cerebral.

I concur. Paul always had a better grasp on the musical side.

I think John was a better lyricist though.

All great comments. Here is what I have noticed as well: critics tend to favor Lennon; musicians tend to favor McCartney,

That's been my observation. Critics are writers, and when writers discuss music they overemphasize journalistic qualities, wider social implications and clever words, (which were Lennon’s strengths,) and underemphasize melody and musical craftsmanship, which were McCartney’s strengths.

I think apart from Ringo, Paul McCartney's solo stuff has been poorer and somewhat cheesy in comparison to Goerge Harrison or John Lennon. I am not a big fan of the Beatles. However, I got free tickets to see McCartney live in Dublin two years ago and it was fantastic. He made the whole concert look effortless. I'm still a George Harrison fan but McCartney's stock went up in my estimation after that might.

Saw him with Wings in Venice Italy in 76, one of the damned best concerts I've seen & heard in my life! Thank you Paul for a hell of a show unlike the stink'n rolling stones in 78 in NJ where they were late over 2 hours and played maybe 25 minutes!

Would have loved to have seen him with Jimmy McCulloch-he provided some edge to the band that has been lacking since. He needs someone like Lennon or Elvis Costello etc. who put some balls into his band.

Archived