Gibson Brands Forums

My Rig Is Finally Complete!

Tman5293

I finally finished my gaming rig. Took me over a year to get all the parts for it. It can do just about anything. Maxes all my games without issue. Gets some pretty high scores on benchmarks. It eats Macs for breakfast.

Here she is, final cost is about $1300:

2012-01-15012447.jpg

2012-01-15012602.jpg

2012-01-15012840.jpg

2012-01-15013013.jpg

2012-01-15013050.jpg

2012-01-15013237.jpg

2012-01-15013316.jpg

EDIT: If anyone wants specs, let me know.

Glad your happy with you pc - Ive made a hell of a lot of money with computers and still don't need any of that extra crap on them. I prefer my dependable macbook any day of the week and as a full time artist now it does everything I need easily. I just got a souped up gaming style notebook for a consulting job I'm helping with so they were buying it. I told them I wanted something fairly fast for software testing and emulation as well as a large screen for demo's so they got me a high end gaming notebook from Alienware it's a 18x gaming core something, and honestly it's fast and the 18 inch screen makes it almost a desktop but all the glowing lights and bubbling tube **** and all the other gaming crap is a waste to me, who needs custom light sectors on a keyboard or the ability to color code and backlight any keys on keyboard in any fashion I would want. I can't imagine ever wanting to play a game on a pc so I customized the keyboard into plain white at 20% brightness probably made some gaming programer cry.

Glad your happy with you pc - Ive made a hell of a lot of money with computers and still don't need any of that extra crap on them. I prefer my dependable macbook any day of the week and as a full time artist now it does everything I need easily. I just got a souped up gaming style notebook for a consulting job I'm helping with so they were buying it. I told them I wanted something fairly fast for software testing and emulation as well as a large screen for demo's so they got me a high end gaming notebook from Alienware it's a 18x gaming core something, and honestly it's fast and the 18 inch screen makes it almost a desktop but all the glowing lights and bubbling tube **** and all the other gaming crap is a waste to me, who needs custom light sectors on a keyboard or the ability to color code and backlight any keys on keyboard in any fashion I would want. I can't imagine ever wanting to play a game on a pc so I customized the keyboard into plain white at 20% brightness probably made some gaming programer cry.

I guess it all just depends on what you want your computer to do. If you want to just do basic stuff like internet, email, chat programs, etc, then you can get a Mac (even though you're being outrageously overcharged since they have no guts). But if you want bleeding edge technology and enough processing/rendering power to create a black hole, then you build your own rig like I did.

I guess it all just depends on what you want your computer to do. If you want to just do basic stuff like internet, email, chat programs, etc, then you can get a Mac (even though you're being outrageously overcharged since they have no guts). But if you want bleeding edge technology and enough processing/rendering power to create a black hole, then you build your own rig like I did.

Don't get to cocky kid before I retired last year the last machine I built ran real time GPS and traffic control for a city of a 1/4 million people and about 100 square miles. it had real time video of every intersection and did traffic balancing based on real time video recognition of load and time of day loading algorythms while at the same time monitoring and controlling about 300 traffic signals and about 60 interactive live update traffic load balance and real time upload for driver information signage for 16 freeway access points. as well as GPS mapping and routing by nearest response and on board equipment for all of the public safety departments. All displayed on a 12 foot wall of monitors 30 feet long and running on a private multi loop dark fiber network. Compared to that system your box looks like a #2 golf pencil without a sharpener.

Man, is that kick or electric start? [flapper]

Got a 17" HD Dell XPS laptop i7 2.6GHz with 3.0GHz "turbo" mode, 16GB mem, 512GB drive and 256GB of SSD, more than enough to do my CAD work on where ever I happen to be in the world plus wireless 27" HD monitor, mouse, and pen it all talks to for when I need to get really anal. Unfortunately, despite 3 degrees, I got on the wrong side of 50 and got laid off. Would you like fries with that?

I don't think anything is ever complete. Kinda like I have enough guitars, amps, effects, that next must have Canon DSLR body or more Canon L glass to attach to it, Ford F150 4x4 Ecoboost that will run a 14 sec 1/4 [that's important you know in a truck that will], pull 12,000 lbs., and get 22mpg not all at the same time of course . . . etc. etc. etc.

I think it's all complete when the lights finally go out for good! Hopefully later than sooner.

Enjoy the ride and the new toy but here's betting you'll be doing something to it within a year at the most . . .

The last kick arse Video card in my desktop required a 1000W power supply!!

That was an ATI 4870x2 GLH edition and it was very fast ...Can't be bothered now... The PS3 meets my requirements these days! I do miss the strategy stuff though like the empire total war stuff!!

Regards

Don't get to cocky kid before I retired last year the last machine I built ran real time GPS and traffic control for a city of a 1/4 million people and about 100 square miles. it had real time video of every intersection and did traffic balancing based on real time video recognition of load and time of day loading algorythms while at the same time monitoring and controlling about 300 traffic signals and about 60 interactive live update traffic load balance and real time upload for driver information signage for 16 freeway access points. as well as GPS mapping and routing by nearest response and on board equipment for all of the public safety departments. All displayed on a 12 foot wall of monitors 30 feet long and running on a private multi loop dark fiber network. Compared to that system your box looks like a #2 golf pencil without a sharpener.

I am seriously impressed.

(and amused).

msp_thumbup.gif

I think I've been horribly misunderstood. That was not intended as a dig at you or an insult. I'm sorry if it came off sounding that way. msp_unsure.gif

Very good man. Might I ask what in all you have in there?

All my rig specs are right here: http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/3293355

That includes detailed info such as clock speeds, voltages, and temperatures. It also includes pricing info. Total cost of the rig along with the cost of each individual part.

I must admit that I couldn't build anything like this, but being a former rocket scientist I can certainly appreciate people who do this cool stuff! I play with equations instead...

I'm going to college in the fall and plan on studying towards a degree in physics. After college I plan on going into Astronomy or some other space related field. I love every thing about science and technology, especially space and computer engineering. msp_biggrin.gif

Archived