Gibson Brands Forums

"brand new" guitar made in 2005?

thejtl

Hi all. Bought a new advanced jumbo yesterday. Ive been on a weeks long oddesy to find a new, high end acoustic. I drove 2 hours yesterday to play a J-45. I liked it and was reday to buy when I decided to ty out the AJ that was on the wall. I fell in love and ends up buying it instead. Its a lovely guitarand I'm psyched, but after I got it home I looked at the serial number and see it was made in 2005. Inspected in June of that month.

Is this unusual, a brand new guitar that's almost 7 years old? Don't know.if its a deal deal breaker, but it seems odd.

Congrats... I dont think its unusual for a store to have Some Gibson guitars for a long period of time.. some Gibsons appeal to certain folks. a AJ is a Nice Guiitar... the more you play it.. the better they sound.. do you have a picture?

are you sure its new? or was it a trade in and sold as New? that would be the question.. are they a Gibson dealer?

Thanks Chas and everyone else. I'm gonna put.some DRs on it and change the.pegs. I'm psyched.

I wish it had some electronics, but I'll work.out something. What are some favorite options that don't require drilling, etc.?

Thanks Chas and everyone else. I'm gonna put.some DRs on it and change the.pegs. I'm psyched.

I wish it had some electronics, but I'll work.out something. What are some favorite options that don't require drilling, etc.?

Nice new guitar there... enjoy [thumbup]

regarding pickup's

various threads here have covered peoples favourites. I'm a fan of the LR Baggs M1 which I'm currently using withe the jack lead hanging out the sound hole when needed.

Here's a clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUz4uXPTW9c&feature=player_embedded#!

They are a little expensive.. but I love the sound and ease of use.

Jinder... did a post here a while back and he mentioned a pup he had ordered from the states for $35 or something... said he was going to write a review

Did you ever get round to writing it Jinder? would be interested to know how it turned out

Yeah, I had my ey eon the M1. Pretty nice.Better than my Seymour Duncan humbucker I've had for eons.

Big differences in the passive vs. active models besides volume? The clips I heard online made the active version seem a little on the bright side, but it's hard to trust online clips.

Yeah, I had my ey eon the M1. Pretty nice.Better than my Seymour Duncan humbucker I've had for eons.

Big differences in the passive vs. active models besides volume? The clips I heard online made the active version seem a little on the bright side, but it's hard to trust online clips.

I have the active... again for ease of use. As someone pointed out here recently ..you can even just plug it into an electric guitar amp and it sounds good. I usually gig with a Pod Line6 going into my amp.. ( cos my amp is crap..haha ) but the M1 actually sounds better direct.

Congratulations, she loosk great. Maybe the fact she's 7 years old is what helped her in sounding so good.

With non intrusive pickups Id record a Fishman Rare Earth Blend. Soundhole pikcup mixing mike and humbucker. Use it on my 69' Hummingbird, works a treat.

If it is 7 years old, that would mean the finish is COMPLETELY cured! SCORE!!!

It is rare, but it ain't unusual for a new high-end Gibby to be at a shop that long. They don't HAVE to drop the price and get rid of them because of fear a newer model will make it hard to sell. As far as purchase, new means new, the only difference to used being it has never been owned before and you get the lifetime warranty if you are in the USA.

But if it is 7 years old, chances of a problem developing are about as NONE as any condition. And usually, the finish takes a couple years to fully cure-not that it is a problem, but they can be a little soft and prone to scratches and discoloration or stickiness when they are new.

^^^THIS^^^ guy (the EUROASSIE) gets a GREAT live sound judging from the clips he post. He has a few different systems, too.

I think the best electronics depend on what you plug into. I think all soundhole pups are on the bright side, but the M1A gives you some fullness and bass to work with that a lot don't. They are kinda spendy, but you can take it out and use it on a lot of different guitars if you have a lot.

It is what you call "NOS" or "new old stock". Beautiful guitar! Enjoy it! [thumbup]

I actually like NOS guitars, assuming they haven't been abused, for all the reasons Stein says. With a fully-cured finish,, you will have a better idea of how the guitar will sound over time.

I do like it quite a bit. It sounds amazing. Every time I pick it up it just sings.

The guitar room at the GC was one of the worst I've been in. No humidification that I could notice. All the guitars were just a mess. I made them do truss rod adjustments on the guitars I was trying (but not the AJ, it was OK).

I notice that the lacquer around the Gibson logo and the inlay on the head stock is a little flaky (a humidity problem), but I can live with it. I think.

I do like it quite a bit. It sounds amazing. Every time I pick it up it just sings.

The guitar room at the GC was one of the worst I've been in. No humidification that I could notice. All the guitars were just a mess. I made them do truss rod adjustments on the guitars I was trying (but not the AJ, it was OK).

I notice that the lacquer around the Gibson logo and the inlay on the head stock is a little flaky (a humidity problem), but I can live with it. I think.

Actually, that happens to most. Maybe all eventually. The MOP inlay does not expand and contract with the wood.

If you look closely at any vintage gibson, I think you find the same thing, every one I have seen does that.

.... after I got it home I looked at the serial number and see it was made in 2005. Inspected in June of that month.

Is this unusual, a brand new guitar that's almost 7 years old? Don't know.if its a deal deal breaker, but it seems odd.

I think that's unusual. I've seen guitars two or three years old still being sold at the "new" price, but charging a "new" price for a seven year old guitar doesn't seem right to me. The seller should have been flexible and negotiated a discount. I've bought two new guitars from GC and both times I negotiated a discount.

But I'm glad to read you found what you were looking for. Congrats on yer new AJ.

Just makes me wonder? Why would you reward 'bad behavior' by spending your money there? Are you desparate?

Really! Not a slam....jes curious.

Just makes me wonder? Why would you reward 'bad behavior' by spending your money there? Are you desparate?

Really! Not a slam....jes curious.

I'm not a crusader, I'm a player. I'm not responsible for anyone's actions but my own. I go wherever and find the gear I want. Beyond that, I leave them to it.

And I live in Iowa. Out here in the Middle we don't have as many options as folks in the fancy big towns. I drove 2 hours to play these guitars.

I'm not a crusader, I'm a player. I'm not responsible for anyone's actions but my own. I go wherever and find the gear I want. Beyond that, I leave them to it.

And I live in Iowa. Out here in the Middle we don't have as many options as folks in the fancy big towns. I drove 2 hours to play these guitars.

I understand. I don,t live in the big ,fancy towns either. I would drive maybe an hour or so to get to a GC or other. You live in the area that the 'elites' refer to as...'fly-over territory'...!

I hope you adjust to and get happy with your AJ.

I know the 'angst' with which you probably felt. You drove 2 hours to play some Gibsons....and you didn't want to leave empty-handed.

Has happened to me before also....sometimes regrettably...but not always... [smile]

Rod

Archived