Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Strengths and Weakness

brannon67

Man, how do you put something like this into words? I both like and dislike J-45s.

I like J-45s that sound dry, woody and rather "crisp" (articulate) if you will.

I don't particularly care for J-45s that sound rather damp, with a wooly low end and muted trebles.

Ask someone else and they might prefer just the opposite. Hopefully people purchased their guitars (be it a J-45 or otherwise) because they love the way they sound and play. That's also implying that they've passed on guitars that don't exhibit the characteristics that they value in an instrument.

Oh, I also like that you can string up a J-45 with mediums and its still plenty easy to play due to the short scale.

I've never owned a J-45.

In the midst of all the J-45 fans here . . . . The often cited strength is its versatility, but too me, that's also a weakness: It has the kind of sound and tone that doesn't leap out, so it fits in just about anywhere. A fine guitar, but I'd rather spend my money on something a bit more distinctive.

Okay, flame away. . B)

A fine guitar, but I'd rather spend my money on something a bit more distinctive.

Okay, flame away. . B)

As much as I love my J-45, I can actually understand where you're coming from regarding the above statement.

No flames here BK.

So do you think the J45 works best in a vocal/guitar setting, with just the one man player,duo, or in a band situation.
Either, really (well, they are versatile). Slopes can be very singer friendly, with their fulsome midrange and presence: Dylan ca. '62, James Taylor ca.'69, and Slaid Cleaves, ca. right now. Ditto for solo pickers like Jorma Kaukonen and Paul Geremia. But slopes also can work in a band setting. Bluegrasser George Shuffler played lead on a Southern Jumbo with the Stanley Bros. And it was the Beatles core acoustic sound (their J160e's were an a/e version of the J45).

I question that the j45 lacks a distinctive voice. Its just not an extreme voice, at one end of the range. Its right in there in the choir with the basso-profoundos (D28) and top-tenors (O0s) and so forth, kind of like a good bass-baritone.

I question that the j45 lacks a distinctive voice. Its just not an extreme voice, at one end of the range. Its right in there in the choir with the basso-profoundos (D28) and top-tenors (O0s) and so forth, kind of like a good bass-baritone.

Like I've said before, it's the guitar for when you can only have one guitar.

Oh geez...well, I've owned quite a few of the Gibson J-45 variants (three or four SJs, two or three J-50s, and probably about six J-45s) and while my main flattop lately has been my AJRI I cannot think of any thing I don't like about a good J-45. I have an old beat one I hardly play but it's like an old set of boots: I just want it around.

It's strength may not be flat picking 'cut' but that sure doesn't mean I dislike it.

My 2010 J45 Standard is a little bit loud in my small 'music room' and I prefer to play my L's in that room, but in the lounge room the J45 is great.

Another place I like to play the J45, and this won't interest the northern guitarists one bit at the moment, is out on this little brick patio I have behind my garage. The tone of that guitar is sensational out there, as long as the lawncutters hold off.

I guess the guitar salesman will look at you a little strangely if you ask to try the guitar outside.

BluesKing777.

In my humble opinion:

Strengths:

Supple and beautiful tone that suits either solo instrumentation, vocal accompaniment or band work.

Comfortable body shape

Classic, timeless looks

Understated in every way-a true workhorse

Weaknesses:

Short scale (for me, anyway, I have big hands and favour a longer scale neck)

Tendency towards tonal variation from guitar to guitar (myself and my former two bandmates at one point owned a Hog J45MC each, and they were three very different guitars-one bass-heavy and a touch treble shy (mine), one with a glorious twinkly top end and a muted bass, and one which was the most perfectly balanced and sweet sounding modern J45 I've ever heard).

Tonally not as 'refined' as its classic square-shoulder cousin, the Hummingbird (whereas the 'Bird is honey-sweet and gentle, the '45 sports a more agricultural tone...some will prefer the polite purr of the 'Bird to the more forthright midrange of the J45)

I've owned several J45s but I've settled on an AJ as it has all of the best qualities of a J45 (for me anyway) with a long scale neck, extra power and volume, and sweet chime and chunk from the Rosewood back and sides. It's a winner!

Weaknesses:

Tendency towards tonal variation from guitar to guitar (myself and my former two bandmates at one point owned a Hog J45MC each, and they were three very different guitars-one bass-heavy and a touch treble shy (mine), one with a glorious twinkly top end and a muted bass, and one which was the most perfectly balanced and sweet sounding modern J45 I've ever heard).

Tonally not as 'refined' as its classic square-shoulder cousin, the Hummingbird (whereas the 'Bird is honey-sweet and gentle, the '45 sports a more agricultural tone...some will prefer the polite purr of the 'Bird to the more forthright midrange of the J45)

That's a pretty good summary, in my experience. Perhaps because so many have been built over so many years and so many "Gibson" iterations--70 years in production--J-45's have a remarkable variety of voices, some great, some less so. You really need to play a lot of J-45s to find the one that speaks to you. That's both a weakness, and a strength. Searching for the right one is a great deal of fun, even if it is time-consuming.

Gibsons in particular are inconsistent in sound and quality from guitar to guitar. In regard to the J-45, I had a 1948 model back in 1973. She was definitely a "Singing" guitar. Simply sounded heavenly with a good singer.

I visit my local GC often and have played 2 or 3 45s there and all of them had that "thud" sound, no projection or sparkle. I have run across the same thing with Birds.

I own two Birds and had to play alot of them to find a 2003 and a 2010. That being said, I do have my eye out for a nice J-45.

Gibsons in particular are inconsistent in sound and quality from guitar to guitar. In regard to the J-45, I had a 1948 model back in 1973. She was definitely a "Singing" guitar. Simply sounded heavenly with a good singer.

I visit my local GC often and have played 2 or 3 45s there and all of them had that "thud" sound, no projection or sparkle. I have run across the same thing with Birds.

I own two Birds and had to play alot of them to find a 2003 and a 2010. That being said, I do have my eye out for a nice J-45.

As has been talked about here before, it's pretty hard to find a decent-sounding Gibson of any type hanging on the wall at GC. They get pretty badly neglected when it comes to basic care like string changes.

whereas the 'Bird is honey-sweet and gentle, the '45 sports a more agricultural tone...

I've been hanging out around this forum for a few years now.

If not my favorite quote of all, at a minimum, the above has to go into my top 5 list. Brilliant!

All the best,

Guth

Like I've said before, it's the guitar for when you can only have one guitar.

That's pretty well why I chose my Woody. (My only quality acoustic in any case - thankfully I've got a quality electric too, and my Howard Roberts is there to cover the role of the ES 335 I can't afford, which is essentially to be the electric guitar for when you can only have one electric guitar. Then of course there's the beater which everybody needs to protect the one acoustic... And maybe if I find myself gigging electric outdoors a lot, I might want a Melody Maker to protect the Howard... So, it's the guitar for when you can only have three or four guitars! Oh damn, it's like the Spanish Inquisition. I'll come in again...)

I've never owned a J-45.

In the midst of all the J-45 fans here . . . . The often cited strength is its versatility, but too me, that's also a weakness: It has the kind of sound and tone that doesn't leap out, so it fits in just about anywhere. A fine guitar, but I'd rather spend my money on something a bit more distinctive.

Okay, flame away. . B)

I have never owned a J-45 either. So, I cannot comment from personal experience. I have nothing at all against them. The last time that I came close to owning one was in '74-'75. I was a strapping young buck of 21-22 years of age and single and living in Oklahoma City at the time. I had two things on my mind....women and guitars..in that order. I remember very well. agonizing over a NEW J-45 in a music store(priced at $435) if memory serves me, that had been 'discounted' from $499 because of 'shadow-bracing'...

Remember that Norlin-era stint where Gibson tried the "light-cured" glueing of the braces? It left shadow marks on the soundboard...?

Man...I am SO glad that I didn't buy that guitar...I guess [confused] [confused]

But really, The J45 is the workhorse standard of Gibson...I would probably love a vintage one. Since I now have the '47-48 Southern Jumbo.....I really "have no need"...and thats the TRUTH, baby... [cool]

But really, The J45 is the workhorse standard of Gibson...I would probably love a vintage one. Since I now have the '47-48 Southern Jumbo.....I really "have no need"...and thats the TRUTH, baby... [cool]

Rod, your old SJ (how I envy that find!) is just a J-45 dressed up to go to church on Sunday morning. Sounds just as dirty as a Saturday night bar underneath it all, I bet.

Rod, your old SJ (how I envy that find!) is just a J-45 dressed up to go to church on Sunday morning. Sounds just as dirty as a Saturday night bar underneath it all, I bet.

Sure, it's the Stormy Monday guitar - 'Saturday I go out to play/Sunday I go to church, then I kneel down and pray'. That makes it all the dirtier in my opinion.

Sure, it's the Stormy Monday guitar - 'Saturday I go out to play/Sunday I go to church, then I kneel down and pray'. That makes it all the dirtier in my opinion.

Here she is on Sunday morning looking all innocent after being a Nasty 'B' in the bar last nite...... [sneaky]

2764625640066230676S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks Nick! A good find, indeed. I am using the D'Addario EJ16 light PB 12-53 currently. I haven,t changed them since I initially strung up after repairs. Its hard for me to describe the sound. She has bright chimey trebles and a nice thumping bass and well-balanced thru the mids. My buddy has a '52 D28 and he feels that the SJ has more bass thump than the D28. I prefer the tone and playability of the SJ myself, but I am probably a bit biased.

I have a set of Ernie Ball 80/20 Earthwood 12-54 med light that I will try next. I want to take the nut slots a little lower on the E,B and G at that time also. I made the nut myself and have not tweaked the action yet. I may go 13's at some point also (John Pearse).

I despise the new string sound, so I won,t change them often. I also would like something a little less bright when new.

Got any reccomendations that work with your 45..?

Archived