Gibson Brands Forums

Yet another NGD

Ovie

430658_10150533826493601_690568600_9045335_1497765150_n.jpg

401028_10150533827373601_690568600_9045337_421497412_n.jpg

Apologies for the bad pictures, they were taken on my mobile phone as soon as I'd unpacked the guitar at home.

Having not played my Mexican Fender strat regularly for over a year I decided to see what I could get in part exchange for it at one of my favourite guitar shops.

Well, I came away with this beauty. Wow, what a fantastic tone. Totally different to my Epi Les Paul Classic Gold Top, and my Epi 1960 V3 Les Paul. So, apart from my Brian May Signature guitar, all my Electric Guitars are now Epiphone. Oh, tried it back to back with the Squier Vintage modified Telecasters with P90s & the Jazzmaster pick ups, but the tone of the of the SG completely won me over.

Thanks! Been playing it for a few hours, love the low action, love the pick ups and love the lighter weight over Les Pauls. But, as it sounds different to the LP's it's just another fabulous tone to be able to call upon.

Got to love these great sounding guitars at a decent price!

So,I'm having trouble determining the body color, from the pictures. Is that TV yellow? It almost looks like the Walnut SG that's out there. Gimme a hint. I love SGs, haven't had the chance to try one with P-90s yet. Enjoy.

So,I'm having trouble determining the body color, from the pictures. Is that TV yellow? It almost looks like the Walnut SG that's out there. Gimme a hint. I love SGs, haven't had the chance to try one with P-90s yet. Enjoy.

TV Yellow. But depending on the light and camera it comes up different each time.

OK, having had a few more days of playing the SG back to back with the Les Pauls, I like it even more! The access to the upper frets is great, but as I'm more of a rhythm player than a lead guitartist, that may not make a huge difference.

The tone through my Blackstar HT1-RH & matching HT408 is great, but when you play it through a Marshall 4x12 it's outstanding. The clean tone is pleasantly bright, but not harsh on the bridge pickup, and the neck pickup is mellow enough to pull of some great jazz-sounding lines. But then you turn the gain up and it's like the guitar's had some serioulsly strong coffee. It just wakes up! The crunch is perfect for 1960's stuff, and if you push it further, then you are rewarded with such a fab tone it's worth the hassle of the 'Turn it down!' from the Mrs.

It's probably going to be my #1 guitar for quite a while. Can't recommend this SG highly enough.

Archived