Gibson Brands Forums

Need some help

littlekenny

Alright, some of you might now that I'm saving up for a Les Paul at the moment but also, I really want to get a new amp (currently have a valve junior) but then again, I want to get a good set of pickups for my current guitar (cheap Ibanez). As far as money goes, I have enough to get a good set of pups right now, By the end of November/December-ish I'll probably have enough for a new amp (assuming I dont buy the pups) but I probably wont have enough for a les Paul until next summer though. So what do you guys think I should do? I think right now I'm leaning towards the new pickups.

Go for the Lester man... that Valve Jr. will surely sound great with a Les Paul plugged to it... I have a little practice amp that is solid state of course, and my "good" guitars sound great through it... my not so good guitars sound sh¡tty through it... (my good guitars being a 2007 gibson les paul standard, a 2006 fender amercian ash tele and a 90s studio).

That amp may sound bad with that cheap ibanez, but make no mistake, that's the cheap ibanez tone/sound... it will not change with a new amp: sh¡tty tone will be a part of your rig as the guitar is still there.

Change of pickups? You'll end with the same problem... you see a guitar's tone does not reside 100% in the pickups...

Save you money, buy that lester. You'll be glad you did.

Hope you got the strenght to hold on till you get her, it is hard, I know, I spent more than 15 years buying guitars for under 700 only to find them lacking and end up selling them... I bought and sold tons of gear: tens of amps, hundreds of stomp boxes, tens of multifx procesors... the day I bought my gibson, it all changed.

I admire the fact that you are saving for your own Les Paul.

Be Patent and it will be yours.

With all the valuable info you already have you should make a great choice in your purchace.

Without having to ask dozens of retarded questions =D>

Remember what we said.

You are the future...

Les Paul. You'll keep it for life.

The new pickups will be "new" for a month or two and then you'll regret the extra time you'll then have to wait for your LP.

It'll be worth the wait so hang in there.

I've got a valve special and if the junior's anything like it, hang on to it.

For the record, I say save, too.... buying a Les Paul can be a life changing event.

However... you gonna be playing out? Can you supplement your income with paying gigs? Will a new amp help in that endeavor?

If so, consider the amp, 'cuz while it may delay the imediate purchase of a LP, it could actually provide a faster method of obtaining both.

Or, you could just go to Disney World =D>

Happy Halloween!!

Save up for the Lester.

Kenny, you're alright; so, I'll give you a hand. This is possibly the greatest idea I have ever come up with for Halloween, but unfortunetely, it came to me when I was 18 and was too old to do it myself. You're trick or treating tonight, right? Grab a bucket from home and buy a squeegy...go out as a Squeegy Kid. Best costume ever! After somebody gives you candy just say "for $2, I'll clean you car's windshield."

By the end of the night, you'll have a bag full of candy and an easy $50. =P~

Save up for the Lester.

Kenny' date=' you're alright; so, I'll give you a hand. This is possibly the greatest idea I have ever come up with for Halloween, but unfortunetely, it came to me when I was 18 and was too old to do it myself. You're trick or treating tonight, right? Grab a bucket from home and buy a squeegy...go out as a Squeegy Kid. Best costume ever! After somebody gives you candy just say "for $2, I'll clean you car's windshield."

[/quote']

damn you canadians are crafty....haha great idea by the way, I wish I was younger so I could go do that hahaha.

Save up for the Lester.

Kenny' date=' you're alright; so, I'll give you a hand. This is possibly the greatest idea I have ever come up with for Halloween, but unfortunetely, it came to me when I was 18 and was too old to do it myself. You're trick or treating tonight, right? Grab a bucket from home and buy a squeegy...go out as a Squeegy Kid. Best costume ever! After somebody gives you candy just say "for $2, I'll clean you car's windshield."

By the end of the night, you'll have a bag full of candy and an easy $50. :D

[/quote']

BS! You've payed for all your Gibsons this way. :-)

Save up for the Lester.

[/quote']

damn lol, why didnt I read this earlier? Good idea though. To everyone: Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it

Go for the Les Paul.

For a start with the Paul, firstly, you won't need new p'ups and secondly you'll realise the amp is So much better than you ever imagined.

Crikey, even unplugged the Paul will give you goosebumps...............

Wishing you all the best if you take up R9's suggestion, too!

Go for the Les Paul.

For a start with the Paul' date=' firstly, you won't [i']need[/i] new p'ups and secondly you'll realise the amp is So much better than you ever imagined.

Crikey, even unplugged the Paul will give you goosebumps...............

Wishing you all the best if you take up R9's suggestion, too!

This is the amp I told you about... the tone is really good for its price and being a solid state... I have some tube amps that I love but are too heavy and too loud so I can only use them live or in the studio, so I got this one for home use, it sure delivers (specially for clean tones with both single coils and humbuckers).

I used this little sucker for a small gig a couple of nights ago and it delivered, it can get incredibly loud for a 15 watt solid state (I used it with a dist pedal and a delay).

This is the amp I told you about... the tone is really good for its price and being a solid state... I have some tube amps that I love but are too heavy and too loud so I can only use them live or in the studio' date=' so I got this one for home use, it sure delivers (specially for clean tones with both single coils and humbuckers).

I used this little sucker for a small gig a couple of nights ago and it delivered, it can get incredibly loud for a 15 watt solid state (I used it with a dist pedal and a delay).

[/quote']

I agree, my friend has this amp and it packs a punch for its size. He plays small gigs all the time with this amp.

How about buying a used LP. A friend just yesterday got 2003 LP Custom (cherry burst 59) in good condition for $750. He said the pawn shop didn't know what they had. It didn't have the original tuners or bridge and this he pointed out to the pawn shop clerk. They had it listed for $1500 so he made em an offer. The happy surprise was the original tuners and bridge were in the case. The pawn shop didn't even know.

So buy a good used LP and the amp.

How about buying a used LP. A friend just yesterday got 2003 LP Custom (cherry burst 59) in good condition for $750. He said the pawn shop didn't know what they had. It didn't have the original tuners or bridge and this he pointed out to the pawn shop clerk. They had it listed for $1500 so he made em an offer. The happy surprise was the original tuners and bridge were in the case. The pawn shop didn't even know.

So buy a good used LP and the amp.

Is it real? maybe the pawn hop had a fake (most do and some know they are fakes and are trying to sell them)

The friend who bought it verified the serial number with Gibson. He is an avid collector and knows what to look for. I've told him about this forum. Hopefully he will start dropping by. He has an awesome collection including a 1959 ES 335 or 339 (not sure which). Several classic Telecasters and Stratocasters. A room full of classic tube amps.

Archived