Gibson Brands Forums

VERY controversial topic...I know I know...

onewilyfool

Ok guys....time to get down to brass tacks....I am guilty of this....as many of you may be, with a little introspection.....I have been buying , trading, and bartering guitars for the last two years.....and I know one thing....... There is NO perfect guitar out there....We think we can find the holy Grail of guitars that will make us Eric Clapton GODS.....but really, what is missing , is the playing....the practice....the putting yourself out there in front of other people, playing, singing, being vulnerable.....I think the time is right....lets embrace the guitars we have.....and dedicate ourselves to PLAYING rather than collecting....and SHARING our music with others....if not now....then when????? I know this may stir up a lot of controversy.....but joint me now....in playing ...in sharing music.....share our LOVE for the guitar and music....who knows what tomorrow may hold.....

Ok guys....time to get down to brass tacks....I am guilty of this....as many of you may be' date=' with a little introspection.....I have been buying , trading, and bartering guitars for the last two years.....and I know one thing....... There is NO perfect guitar out there....We think we can find the holy Grail of guitars that will make us Eric Clapton GODS.....but really, what is missing , is the playing....the practice....the putting yourself out there in front of other people, playing, singing, being vulnerable.....I think the time is right....lets embrace the guitars we have.....and dedicate ourselves to PLAYING rather than collecting....and SHARING our music with others....if not now....then when????? I know this may stir up a lot of controversy.....but joint me now[/b]....in playing ...in sharing music.....share our LOVE for the guitar and music....who knows what tomorrow may hold.....

Ok I get it you been on the wacky baccy again haven't you

Pass the duchie!!!!

Ok guys....time to get down to brass tacks....I am guilty of this....as many of you may be' date=' with a little introspection.....I have been buying , trading, and bartering guitars for the last two years.....and I know one thing....... There is NO perfect guitar out there....We think we can find the holy Grail of guitars that will make us Eric Clapton GODS.....but really, what is missing , is the playing....the practice....the putting yourself out there in front of other people, playing, singing, being vulnerable.....I think the time is right....lets embrace the guitars we have.....and dedicate ourselves to PLAYING rather than collecting....and SHARING our music with others....if not now....then when????? I know this may stir up a lot of controversy.....but joint me now....in playing ...in sharing music.....share our LOVE for the guitar and music....who knows what tomorrow may hold.....[/quote']

Count me in.

Global Financial Crisis don't you know. No gas here!!

I've spent my entire musical life puruing guitar after guitar. I want it until I GET it, then I don't care.... it's on to the next flavor of the week.

"If I only had that orange Gretsch I could be the next Brian Setzer!"

Three days after the (fictional) orange Gretsch arrives:

"If I only had that polka dotted Strat I could be the next Buddy Guy!"

I suck at guitar and don't deserve to live in the same house as the ones I own but the pursuit of the "next" guitar is still fun. And as long as I have lots of deadwood around I can parlay without hitting my paycheck much.

I like John Lee's response! My dad, nearly 90 now, built my first guitar for me about 47 years ago, when I was 10, and at a time when there simply was no money around to buy one. He started a passion in my life that has kept me sane, relatively, through thick and thin. Goodness knows, if I had applied myself more diligently over all that time I would now be a much better player - but I doubt that I would be getting, or giving, any more pleasure from my playing than I am now. He has a couple of wise sayings that seem appropriate. One is -'nothing that's worthwhile in life is easy'. Another is 'all good things come to an end'. So I agree with Wily - buying guitars is the easy part, learning to play them to the best of our God given abilities is another matter. So here's another of dads gems to bear in mind - 'the job that takes the longest is the one that's never started'.

Roger

From about, oh, 1982 through 2000 or so, I was consumed with guitar acquisition syndrome. I had a lot of guitars and amps go through my hands, most of it lovely vintage stuff. First it was simply preferring older guitars, then it was the pursuit of the perfect tone of my heroes; towards the end I had a rule that if I wasn't positive I would keep it, I could spend no more than 1/3 what I thought it's retail resale price would be at a vintage dealer.

In some ways it was good - I played a lot more types of guitars than I would have, otherwise. I paid for repairs and restorations to several guitars that were trashed or in pieces, including a '31 Gibson L4 roundhole archtop, a '42 or so Gibson L7, a c.1950 J45, and a '53 000-18 Martin. I rescued a '47 Epiphone Broadway from having its headstock inlay removed by coming up with the bare neck with full inlay from a destroyed Broadway. I did my part as a guitar curator or conservationist, I think.

Still - it was a tremendous loss of time I could have been playing guitar and mastering new chords and writing more songs. There were times my finances were kinda shaky because of my GAS - then again, I was single, and no one else was gonna get hurt.

I also let go of guitars that, in hindsight, I wish I still had, like the afore-mentioned L4 and J45, and a lovely '60 LG2 that had the most amazing range.

One day in 2000, I walked into my living room and looked at all the guitars on stands and said, "I think I'm tired of being a collector." So I sold all but one acoustic (a Taylor, and what on Earth was I thinking when I kept that one?) and my original Telecaster.

Nearly two years ago I got my '05 J45 HC, which soothes my old guitar jones without costing a fortune, while serving as a working guitar while I write new material and adjust to the numerous changes in my life. I look longingly sometimes at OJ reissues or Martin 00-18s or LG2s both vintage and reissue, but with less enthusiasm. The guitar I have now really is my favorite acoustic ever, and I really need to just play it a whole bunch.

One thing that spurs me to action. I've been an on again off again, mostly off player for 30 years. The last 10, I've played more than the first 20. I go to Bluegrass jams every month. There are fellers there who 'used' to play guitar, but now only sing. Why? because arthritis and old age have forced them to park their guitars in some dark corner because they can no longer play.

The ability to play is fleeting. Do it before you can't.

I suck at guitar and don't deserve to live in the same house as the ones I own.

I know the feling!

When I retire, I probably won't be able to afford buying anymore guitars. Hopefully, I can still afford to buy new strings at least once a year, but what great memories I'll have of all the guitars I've ever owned.

Ok guys....time to get down to brass tacks....I am guilty of this....as many of you may be' date=' with a little introspection.....I have been buying , trading, and bartering guitars for the last two years.....and I know one thing....... There is NO perfect guitar out there....We think we can find the holy Grail of guitars that will make us Eric Clapton GODS.....but really, what is missing , is the playing....the practice....the putting yourself out there in front of other people, playing, singing, being vulnerable.....I think the time is right....lets embrace the guitars we have.....and dedicate ourselves to PLAYING rather than collecting....and SHARING our music with others....if not now....then when????? I know this may stir up a lot of controversy.....but joint me now....in playing ...in sharing music.....share our LOVE for the guitar and music....who knows what tomorrow may hold.....[/quote']

sounds like the missing verse from 'girl with the far away eyes'! i'm gonna run twenty red lights in OWF's honour.

Mam,

It's dishonest to get onto your husbands account here and spew this communists garbage, just because he's bought a few guitars.! More guitars = more fun.

It's your right to believe that one should simply play the guitar he has, but what you don't understand is that that's nuts!

None of our guitar heroes had one guitar they played throughout their career! Go to hell with you mono-guitar ideology! Or better yet, go someplace without guitars, that's even worse!

I suck at guitar and don't deserve to live in the same house as the ones I own but the pursuit of the "next" guitar is still fun.

ROFLMAO. That hit close to home here!

Guitars = Chick Magnet

Guitar Hero = Guy Magnet

You do the math.

You guys are cracking me up! RUSTY STRINGS! That's a great stage name! lol!

I'm just about in tears. Thanks!

Know what you mean! I was on the phone telling my wife about the '68 J45 Ebony Reissue I just bought and she says, "Don't you already have a black guitar?"

I said, "Yes, dear, but that's a Takamine. This is a Gibson."

She says, "Takamine sounds much nicer than Gibson."

"Yes, dear," I said. "I bet it does."

Hey you know what...owning a great geet and being to play like your hero is crap...pure crap. Play it like theres no tomorrow and damn your false perceptions. Your fortunate you have an hear for music at all ... enjoy and dont be so critical.....half full or half empty or 1/3 full and 2/3 empty or..................

When I was a kid I always wanted a guitar that sounded like the one on the early Everly Bros. records but my whole life I never had the money for anything other than modest guitars, Gibsons and Martins were always out of reach. Through out the years I would pick up every prospective purchase and bang out the intro to "Wake Up Little Suzy"...nope!, but it never stopped me from writing 100s of songs. In 2002 I turned 50 and we had a bit of a windfall that year so my said I could buy any guitar I wanted (with in reason) as a birthday present for reaching that milestone. I played dozens of guitars but they were either too warm, too cold, too fat, too thin, too bassy, too tinny, too soft, or too hard. I had just about given up my quest for the perfect sound when I read an ad for the Gibson Advanced Jumbo which described it as somewhere between a J-45 and a J-200, I thought could this be it?

The only problem was no one in town had one in stock. I searched through the monthly pile of catalogs that sat on the coffee table and sure enough one had 2 in stock. Not wanting to buy a $2000 pig in a poke I called and they assured me that I could return it with in 45 days no questions asked. I told my wife and we pulled the trigger on it.

After what seemed like an eternity it finally arrived and with trembling hands I unpacked my treasure. I dug out a pick and plunked down across the strings, oddly enough it was in tune... ok, here goes... chunk-ka chunk chunk, ka chunk-a chunk chunk...THATS IT!!!!! I was almost in tears. Sure there aint no perfect guitar and on any other day of the week the AJ I got might have sounded completely different but for me this was it...now if I could just learn to play it:-k

Hmmm...I`ve got several guitars , at times I simply need to play a " different " one , for awhile ( over a year ) I was eying a used J-200 in pristine condition , when the decision was made to get it , it was sold , right under my nose , but that is NOT gonna stop me , I Will Get One....someday maybe also a J-300..it`s soon X-mas anyway , the wrong time of the year to say no to another guitar =D>/

There are positives and negatives to GAS. True enough you can spend so much time lusting after another guitar that you forget to dig the one that brung ya. I'm way guilty of that, and I admit at times I've been guilty of spending way too much time on forums and lusting after another guitar and not nearly enough playing.

On the other hand, thank God for GAS. At times , I've felt its led me astray, off into avenues where I didn't really need to go, and led me to spend time and money I didn't really need to spend. But, its led me on a journey to explore guitars, musical tones, sounds, styles, genres, that I might not have otherwise found. Best, its led me to my two favorite guitars, both vintage Gibsons, and has me listening to music that I've loved for a long while but in some way had forgotten. So, in some senses, rebirth, renewal, and at the same time, new avenues.

At this point though I have a couple of guitars that cover similar ground, to one degree or another. They're different enough to not be easily sent on their way, and enough alike that I wonder sometimes if I'm not being foolish keeping all of them. Time will tell. There are also still guitars I want to try, but that are completely different than what I have. Funds are short at the moment, probably a good thing. Time to play more and delve deep.

D.

One thing that spurs me to action. I've been an on again off again' date=' mostly off player for 30 years. The last 10, I've played more than the first 20. I go to Bluegrass jams every month. There are fellers there who 'used' to play guitar, but now only sing. Why? because arthritis and old age have forced them to park their guitars in some dark corner because they can no longer play.

The ability to play is fleeting. Do it before you can't.[/quote']

On the button Tommy! Thats really something to remember! It doesn't bother me as I am only 58 and my name is Peter Pan.

Getting to Wilys orginal post I have seen on this forum huge collections of guitars, every variant of J45 issued etc . To me thats got to be like collecting stamps. You buy em stick em in an album and look at them from time to time. Thats only my opinion of course but a guitar improves with use not by being stuck in a rack!

I little while ago I ventured to another section of the forum (I think it was Les Paul) where folk were posting pics of their "axes" I posted a pic of my J45, ES335 and SWD12 and I think it was "Little Kenny" who said " You can cover a lot of music with those three"

I have since made it worse by adding a L5 clone.

" You can cover a lot of music with those three"

Think about that guys, as I have.

I can't do my guitars justice but I love picking up the SWD 12 and palying Mr Tambourine Man (Byrds not original)

I love the way the J45 sounds with new 12s (!!!!!!) on when "Here comes the sun" comes into my head.

I love the way the ES335 sings to me when I just nip through Room 335 ( IN MY DREAMS!!!!!)

My guitars cover the floor better than I can cover all the music they could help me with

Wily as ever you are spot on!

I played guitars all day. One after another. Sometimes up to a hundred a day. A buzz here a buzz there. A scratch here a dent there. I never found the perfect playing or sounding guitar. I went to the Martin Factory, Ovation, Harmony, ETC. The same thing. I played guitars all day from Japan and Brazil. Now I'm going on 77 years old and only have access to the local music stores. I walk in very quietly, Look around, pick up a guitar and play it. A buzz here a buzz there. A scratch here a dent there. The Hunt goes on. Dan

Archived