Gibson Brands Forums

Three wonderful guitars today......

onewilyfool

I dropped in to our local store (Gelb music in Redwood City, mods please remove if I'm breaking any kind of law) first was an Epiphone AJ-500 R NS....I have no idea what theses numbers and letters mean...lol.....but a matte finish J-50 kind of guitar with bound headstock and fretboard...all solid woods (Rosewood and Sitka), and scalloped braces....and was $429!!!....Made in China of course, but just a beautiful fit and finish, and great sound for the buck!! I've never even played a new Epiphone so was really surprised by the Bass and tone of this thing. Next a New Haven built Guild D-50, Adirondak over Rosewood....WOW....it was on sale for $1600 and what a sweet sound!!! Very well built, beautiful wide grain Adi, fantastic fit and finish, a bit heavy (like most Guilds) but what a guitar for the price!!!! ADI top!!! Last but certainly not least is the Gibson Hummingbird. WOW...that is all I can say. This guitar did it all.....strum, fingerstyle....what a warm woody tone. When I looked in the soundhole (and I would really like folks to comment on this) I noticed that the "x" bracing near the sound hole was extremely light, very shallow and thin. So I checked the top for bubble behind the bridge or cupping at the sound hole but the top was perfectly straight. Fantastic fit and finish with a very light burst at the edges......What a guitar. I know a lot of you have them, but I have never even played one before and this one was exceptiona. Any of you guys living in our neck of the woods, it would be worth a little visit to see this one. They had J-45's an AJ-concert with a shallow box...and what I noticed, of the 6 Gibsons there, not one had the same bridge, belly up, belly down, different size, straight bridge, set in saddle, slide in saddle....no two were alike!! Gotta love Gibson. Anyway...these guys are pretty agressive on pricing (40% off list usually) and this one is a gem!!! Great way to spend a morning!!!

Yep when you find a good Hummingbird, it will give you tingles up and down your body when you play. Outstanding acoustic guitar, then again I liked my 2003 so much, I purchased a 2010. I own two and they sound slightly different from one another, but oh boy what tone!

I dropped in to our local store (Gelb music in Redwood City, mods please remove if I'm breaking any kind of law) first was an Epiphone AJ-500 R NS....I have no idea what theses numbers and letters mean...lol.....but a matte finish J-50 kind of guitar with bound headstock and fretboard...all solid woods (Rosewood and Sitka), and scalloped braces....and was $429!!!....Made in China of course, but just a beautiful fit and finish, and great sound for the buck!! I've never even played a new Epiphone so was really surprised by the Bass and tone of this thing. Next a New Haven built Guild D-50, Adirondak over Rosewood....WOW....it was on sale for $1600 and what a sweet sound!!! Very well built, beautiful wide grain Adi, fantastic fit and finish, a bit heavy (like most Guilds) but what a guitar for the price!!!! ADI top!!! Last but certainly not least is the Gibson Hummingbird. WOW...that is all I can say. This guitar did it all.....strum, fingerstyle....what a warm woody tone. When I looked in the soundhole (and I would really like folks to comment on this) I noticed that the "x" bracing near the sound hole was extremely light, very shallow and thin. So I checked the top for bubble behind the bridge or cupping at the sound hole but the top was perfectly straight. Fantastic fit and finish with a very light burst at the edges......What a guitar. I know a lot of you have them, but I have never even played one before and this one was exceptiona. Any of you guys living in our neck of the woods, it would be worth a little visit to see this one. They had J-45's an AJ-concert with a shallow box...and what I noticed, of the 6 Gibsons there, not one had the same bridge, belly up, belly down, different size, straight bridge, set in saddle, slide in saddle....no two were alike!! Gotta love Gibson. Anyway...these guys are pretty agressive on pricing (40% off list usually) and this one is a gem!!! Great way to spend a morning!!!

Im curious to know if this Hummingbird was a Modern Classic or a True Vintage ? It seems like the MC version is often considered substandard by some in comparison to the TV version. I was so smitten with my MC Hummingbird when I happened upon it this past december. I wasn't willing to take a chance by letting it turn into a One That Got Away thread topic. I recognized that it was an outstanding example and snatched it up minutes after it hit the sales floor. 2 months in and Im still glad I did. A great example of a Gibson Hummingbird is a glorious thing!

Last but certainly not least is the Gibson Hummingbird. WOW...that is all I can say. What a guitar.

I'll echo that! I'd never played a Hummingbird until the day I bought mine last December. Played three that day and got the best of the lot right here! Outstanding dreadnaught guitars! Glad you had the opportunity to play one for a bit.

I'll echo that! I'd never played a Hummingbird until the day I bought mine last December. Played three that day and got the best of the lot right here! Outstanding dreadnaught guitars! Glad you had the opportunity to play one for a bit.

Aahhh the Bird IS the Word!!!

[cool]

I just searched the Gelb sit – if it's that Gelb, they are not allowed to show any Gibsons/Epiphones – only second hand stuff.

Have to say I'm not one of the TV over Standard/MC people as I tried 2 in the local shop 18 months ago where the Standard won (plenty of things can play in here, but I tried them several times over a period).

Anyway, , , just made this thread theme the other day – why not post it here :

– Remember the frantic Hummingbird storm we experienced here before Christmas. I'm sure all the new owners are in some kind of trance by now, blissfully playing those guitars.

Still it could be interesting to hear some reports.

Are they – if not breaking in yet - developing.

Where specifically do you get them flying.

Have you found special pros and cons.

What strings have you tried and so on. . .

Look forward to hear from you.

And Markini – You should do us a favor a tell about the differences -

When I looked in the soundhole (and I would really like folks to comment on this) I noticed that the "x" bracing near the sound hole was extremely light, very shallow and thin.

Is there a chance you remember if it was a TV or a Standard/MC ?

Kahune....I've spent my guitar nest egg....lol.....otherwise...i woulda got it!!!

Just get a nice loan from the local shark, Wily, then buy them all.

When you can't pay, they'll break your fingers so you don't have to miss playing your Hummingbird etc.

BluesKing777.

It probably was a straight white labeled, maybe even pick-up'ed new Bird.

I know these are splendid and would like to learn the exact bracing-variations between them and the TV's. Think EA has something on this, , , is he raving around Denmark Street this week. . .

Btw Wily – surprisingly late you encounter your first Hummingbird - are you sure you shouldn't have brought it home. . .

It probably was a straight white labeled, maybe even pick-up'ed new Bird.

I know these are splendid and would like to learn the exact bracing-variations between them and the TV's. Think EA has something on this, , , is he raving around Denmark Street this week. . .

Btw Wily – surprisingly late you encounter your first Hummingbird - are you sure you shouldn't have brought it home. . .

I was trying to think how I could do this......but no dinero...lack of gold....they wanted me to show them the silver.......by the way it did have an on board pickup

A request was made to list the differences betwwen my 2003 Bird and my 2010 Bird.

2003 has the orange label. 2010 has the white label. Both Montana guitars.

Though both designated heritage red, from the attachment you can see the older Bird is red and the newer bird a golden color.

2003 (red one) has the neck binding covering the ends of the frets, the 2010 does not.

2010 has the fishman pickup under bridge, the 2003 is straight acoustic no pick up.(2003) sounds great through a dean markley single coil.

Playability; 2003 is just a hair easier to play, action a little lower than the 2010. 2010 is pretty easy to play don't get me wrong.

Looks: Both are beautiful

Construction: same bracing etc.

Sound and tone (unplugged) odd but the 2010 projects a tad better and is a tad louder. Fantastic tone.

The 2003 is a bit more mellow sounding, and not quite as loud as the 2010, (difference is very small, just being picky. Also great tone).

Strings and guage on both; Elixers 12s.

Both are easy on the hands and fingers, fairly effortless to play. Think short scale.

The 2003 is the one I play and practice with mostly, I prefer the 2010 for recording or living room jams plugged in with friends.

I fI close my eyes it is hard to tell them apart.

A request was made to list the differences betwwen my 2003 Bird and my 2010 Bird.

A fine little double portrait – From a certain perspective A-B'ing similar models is even more interesting than comparing different ones.

In the close rhyme one really learn about nuances and importance of detail.

Hep for your response.

Archived