Gibson Brands Forums

THE J45

brannon67

There is definitely a middle ground, because it's not as simply as either you hate or love the guitar.

I have a J-45 rosewood which has a very warm sound, but which also has great playability and feel. You do need to get used to the guitar and how it reacts as well however.

Would I be right. . . .

Have to say no.

From all that I've read on these pages and elsewhere or heard in real life, there has nothing but positive words about the J-45. Let's say between positive and enthusiastic.

Never a negative experience or statement. Negativity/midground are towns in far Russia when it comes to J-45's.

Okay, I haven't search corners of other forums - and this post might bring skeptics or opinions/quotes from some 'anti-camp' forward -

.....................................................................................

I don't understand how anyone could NOT love the sound of a J-45. No middle ground for me.

I own Martins, as well, and the sound is VERY different. I can see why many Martin lovers would not like a J-45. I like both, they are both fine brands.

I own Martins, as well, and the sound is VERY different. I can see why many Martin lovers would not like a J-45. I like both, they are both fine brands.

I would second this. Two of my favorite guitars are my J-45, and my 000-28 EC. They are chalk and cheese, but I love both.

Have to say no.

From all that I've read on these pages and elsewhere or heard in real life, there has nothing but positive words about the J-45. Let's say between positive and enthusiastic.

Never a negative experience or statement. Negativity/midground are towns in far Russia when it comes to J-45's.

Okay, I haven't search corners of other forums - and this post might bring skeptics or opinions/quotes from some 'anti-camp' forward -

.....................................................................................

Well, let me be the first. I hated my Hog J-45. It was a '94 and maybe I got a bad one. But, it sounded "muddy" to me. With that said, I presently own a RW and Maple J-45 and would not trade them for anything.

Well, let me be the first. I hated my Hog J-45. It was a '94 and maybe I got a bad one. But, it sounded "muddy" to me. With that said, I presently own a RW and Maple J-45 and would not trade them for anything.

Sadly I've played quite a few Gibsons like that including a number of J-45s. The low E in particular tends to have no leading edge to the note. I was just talking to my brother about this the other day as he's ended up with a J-45 that he is thrilled about. Before finding one of his own, he encountered more than one that sounded like they were stuffed with socks.

So, I'd say that I love a good sounding J-45, but certainly not all.

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

The Workhorse isn't a Holy Cow.

It's not even a workhorse – more like the 'springing knight' in chess, if you ask me, , , but then again I'm a half idiot.

It seems to me the J-45 is one of the models that gets credit for being, and generally is regarded a classic master-piece when it comes to acoustic guitars. A name in the TSTAC - The State of The Art Club, so to speak. Another from that lounge would be the legendary D-28. Not quite so simple with other legends, f.x. the Hummingbird or, let's say a D-35 all though they're both up there too, needless to say.

These assessments are made from a viewpoint at the other side of personal taste – it's a map drawn from many statements and impressions taken in over the years.

One thing is to be on the Mart. Dread squad and from that perspective miss something in the 45 (or other guitars for that matter). But putting a 45 down for being beside ones own needs, is pretty foolish and plain lack of insight.

I mean, , , maybe the neighbors wife isn't my type, but should that allow me to put her down as a woman, a person, a mother, a human being. Nah, , , unless she pisses me off all the time and slips salt in my tea of course.

When approaching guitars from the angle of the thread theme, it's necessary to look beyond ones own nose and be as 'objective' as possible. Unmöglich, some might say – and taste cannot be discussed. Still a guitar community and it's members have to be aware of the land crossed, it's history and current state. He who can't must be considered somewhat unqualified – or maybe the real full-size idiot.

All this said, I'd like to hear a good solid attack on the 45, , , or 28.You're welcome.

Logs on the fire - - - it's weekend !

, , , , just saw gearbasher and Guth as I finished this post

I'm a huge fan of Gibson round shoulder D (especially J35/J45, my 5 STAR J35 sounds closer to 1942 Legend J45 than J45 STD), I think it's a type of eclectic philosophy (a Chinese thinker Confucius' theory, he thinks eclectic is best), versatile. It lies in between small body and Dread(or big jumbo like J200). and it's the most curvaceous but simplest and plainest. Has no as fancy inlay as AJ/SJ.

Tonewise, we can say, unlike small body, J200, HM bird, etc, it has no much traits coz it's the middle.

So to us J45 fans, "Only J45 is good enough", hahaha...

So there is a saying that If one can choose only one acoustic guitar in the world, he'll pick nothing but J45.

For me the J45 was an acquired taste. I did not at all like the first few I tried during my several months long search for finer acoustic--most likely due to their ancient strings. I was hell-bent on a Martin this time around but was disappointed in those in the J45 price range. All of the Taylors sounded pretty good but just weren't what I was looking for.

Finally, I discovered a cache of several J45s, standards, customs, rosewood, mahogany...with fresh strings even. They sounded great! I would've been happy with either of them but I selected a custom with Adirondack and mahogany. Over a year later and I love it more each time I play it, except for that pickguard over the rosette. :)

I selected a custom with Adirondack and mahogany.

Nowdays,

a J45 custom, sitka/rosewood

a J45 TV, Adirondack/mahogany

So I'm puzzled What's the model of yours, Adirondack and mahogany and which year? Any dealer's custom like Toronto's 12fret.com's custom (all STD but Adi)

Nowdays,

a J45 custom, sitka/rosewood

a J45 TV, Adirondack/mahogany

So I'm puzzled What's the model of yours, Adirondack and mahogany and which year? Any dealer's custom like Toronto's 12fret.com's custom (all STD but Adi)

NOS 2007 from our local mom and pop. They had several different customs tucked away.

Archived