Gibson Brands Forums

Where are all the J-185s?

Pottski

I was just wondering if anyone out there had a J-185. I've seen a ton of post about J45s, AJs, SJs, and Hummingbirds, but not a lot about the J-185s. It seems as if this model just isn't as popular as other Gibsons and I was wondering what some of you thought about that. I have a 2008 J-185 EC and it is a beautiful guitar with some pretty nice appointments. Now this is my first Gibson, and I haven't had a chance to play a lot of the other models I mentioned, so maybe I am the one missing the boat on this one. So what is it about other Gibsons that makes them so much more popular/better than the J-185? Or do I just need to look a little harder to find the people who post about this instrument?

Here's a pic of my 185

8a806bbd.jpg

Can't 'splain that easily. Being of the southpaw clan I can't say I've ever played a 185. There was one at the store recently but I completely ignored it.......dunno why :huh: Yours looks like a fine example, looks to be in excellent condition. For my eye, these inlays are the best-looking Gibson uses on any model.

What really matters is that you're happy with your guitar. The more you share your experiences with the J-185 EC, the more representation that model will have.

I'm quite fond of the J-185 and even came close to buying a couple of examples I was able to try, but never quite found "the one". In my experience, it's quite a bit harder to find J-185s in the showrooms than the other models you've mentioned (be it new or used).

What really matters is that you're happy with your guitar. The more you share your experiences with the J-185 EC, the more representation that model will have.

I'm quite fond of the J-185 and even came close to buying a couple of examples I was able to try, but never quite found "the one". In my experience, it's quite a bit harder to find J-185s in the showrooms than the other models you've mentioned (be it new or used).

I can't say that I'm really concerned with whether or not the model is popular, and I agree completely that it's all about bonding with your instrument. I think the jury's still out on whether this is the right guitar for me. I'm definitely a Gibson fan for life now, but I just don't know if this one will be my main guitar for much longer.Thanks for the replies so far. If anyone else wants to show off their 185, feel free!

I can't say that I'm really concerned with whether or not the model is popular, and I agree completely that it's all about bonding with your instrument. I think the jury's still out on whether this is the right guitar for me. I'm definitely a Gibson fan for life now, but I just don't know if this one will be my main guitar for much longer.Thanks for the replies so far. If anyone else wants to show off their 185, feel free!

can you tell us why you arent bonding with it ? stuff like that is as useful to people as why they like a guitar

J_185_r16_08a.jpg

We're out here. There are one or two members who diss them regularly. Pay no attention to those unable to appreciate the glories of 185-dom. I love mine. I nearly bought another one when I was in Bozeman recently. The one I have is 'Modern Classic' equivalent to the current 'standard'. I tried a fancy one recently that was a lighter build, similar to the TV style build. For some things that one would have been pretty great... It's a really nice configuration: maple back and sides with mahogany neck. A bit warmer or smoother in some ways than a J-200. (ducks head)

can you tell us why you arent bonding with it ? stuff like that is as useful to people as why they like a guitar

It's hard to pin down exactly why I'm not connecting with this guitar the way I would like. I think part of the problem is that I don't really know exactly what I want. I got the 185 because I play mostly on stage and wanted something I could hear through the mix. This guitar accomplishes that wonderfully. I can always hear myself now even when there's not a monitor close by. Aesthetics are important to me too, and this is one of the most beautiful acoustic guitars I've ever seen. I think if I had to narrow it down, my main issue with this guitar is comfort. It's actually not uncomfortable at all to play, but just not as comfortable as what I'm used to. I had a Taylor 714ce before the Gibson and it seemed to fit me a little better in the comfort and playability department. It was definitely not the right guitar for me but I think that was more because of the wood combinations. I can be an aggressive strummer and the cedar top on that guitar just couldn't handle that sometimes. I love the maple/sitka combo and think I would do well with a rosewood/sitka guitar as well. I'll be playing several sets with the 185 this weekend so I'll try to pay close attention to what I like or don't like about it. Maybe I'll change my mind...

J_185_r16_08a.jpg

We're out here. There are one or two members who diss them regularly. Pay no attention to those unable to appreciate the glories of 185-dom. I love mine. I nearly bought another one when I was in Bozeman recently. The one I have is 'Modern Classic' equivalent to the current 'standard'. I tried a fancy one recently that was a lighter build, similar to the TV style build. For some things that one would have been pretty great... It's a really nice configuration: maple back and sides with mahogany neck. A bit warmer or smoother in some ways than a J-200. (ducks head)

Come on Jerry! No need to call EA out on this one, since he's not posted on the subject in quite a while, and I think we all know that he's just really never found one that speaks to him. Give him long enough and he'll buy one, mark my words. I'm really glad that this post has come up, because I've been proxy gassing for a 185 for some time (can't afford one, won't be able to for the longest time, and love my SJ, but it's nice to hear from those who have different beasts). It's great to have this model discussed in a positive way, rather than in a defensive way. Bring on your experiences Jerry!

I have never seen one in a shop in the UK, which chimes in with the experience of some other posters. In Hungary there is no hope of finding one. So it is hard to gain experience with the model and to work out exactly what its full capabilities are, or what the range of different sounds may be that various examples might produce. I do have to say, though, that for me it has the most beautiful Gibson body shape (I'll grant that to the bigger 200 and to the slightly different 1920s L1 as well), and matches that profile with a size and scale length which I would definitely be keenest on for an all-rounder or main guitar (so for that role preferable to the 200 or L1 for my needs). What I've heard of them on Youtube is glorious (when I find time, I'll post my favourite links), but they are less well represented there than J45s and so on too. They don't have quite the same length of history, and haven't ever been in quite so many hands, so that may well explain much of the dearth of representation. They do sound fine to me though. The maple really does seem to add a real treble edge to them, and I can imagine that some great blues can be played on one. Still enough mid growl on some samples to convince me of the Gibson pedigree.

I was seriously contemplating buying one as my one quality acoustic. In fact I initially assumed that I would go for a Gibson of this ilk, based partly on looks, but above all because I was very taken by the marketing material that presents the 185 as an all-rounder. I don't doubt that it is, and I do like the sound of maple as far as I can make it out from recordings. But in the end, I was won over by the sound of mahogany, which in samples at least offered a certain warmness and additional growl in the mid-range that differed from what I heard in the 185. I liked the sound of both, and also find good warmth/middles in the 185 samples, but in the end liked the sound of the hog slope-shoulder slightly more than that of the 185. It had a certain classical-like quality where the 185 had a more cutting treble. I definitely find that my SJ has that warmness and growl in real life, so I picked the right instrument for what my ears wanted. But for some songs I really would want that cutting treble along with all-round capacity, and the 185 still has considerable appeal from that perspective. One hog and one maple would be a nice brace.

Hi Pottski,

Regarding playability, have you had a setup done on your Gibson?

I haven't had it set up, but I really don't think that is the issue as much as neck shape and finish. I think I just like the neck profile and satin finish that I had with the Taylor. Like I said before though, I'm not convinced that my mind can't be changed about the Gibson, so I may try a professional set up. I'm just not quite sure how I would want to have it set up. The action is pretty low and the intonation is perfect.

I haven't had it set up, but I really don't think that is the issue as much as neck shape and finish. I think I just like the neck profile and satin finish that I had with the Taylor. Like I said before though, I'm not convinced that my mind can't be changed about the Gibson, so I may try a professional set up. I'm just not quite sure how I would want to have it set up. The action is pretty low and the intonation is perfect.

i went from a fairly wide necked lowden to a j45 and i worried a while at first because my hand got a little tired with the narrower neck , after a week or so my muscles and grip mustve gotten used to te gibson. no problem now at all.

Here's mine, a J-185 EC Rosewood. I bought it new in 2009 and haven't stopped playing it yet. It's the most perfect acoustic I have ever played.

post-10803-062932900 1330078865_thumb.jpg

Beautiful. I wish they offered it in a sunburst. I would like to play one but I think it will sound quite like my songwriter. I like the idea of the short scale.

My Songbird Deluxe has pretty much stayed in it's case since I got my J-185 several years ago. I love it. There's some big name J-185 fans out there too. Here's a couple of photos by Zoran Orlic from Wilco's recent iTunes Session. You can see Jeff Tweedy playing his 52 on a Wilco tune in the first photo, then another where Nick Lowe is playing it on their collaborative cover of "Cruel To Be Kind" (Jeff was playing one of his J-200's for that). The last shot of mine is an artsy one - click it for a larger version.

mg_0245-800.jpg

mg_0490-800.jpg

post-1877-010709200 1330116496_thumb.jpg

I love J-185s. Have had many, have three now. I have progressed through a series of examples of this model since first purchasing a new one in 1996.

I find them very comfortable to play, excellent blend in a band, cutting through the mix with the maple tone colouration, nice for fingerstyle -- all in all a great all-rounder!

The quest has been ongoing for me, searching for different/better along the way, and aspiring to finding an example or two from the original run 1951-58.

This is my current group:

33.jpg

The examples in this family shot are (1) -- reclining on the Crate and Fender amps -- a 2001 "Dave's Guitar 51 re-issue", note the triburst finish, which shows up quite well with added light; (2) an '07 True Vintage; and (3) my favourite, a 1956 model to the right.

Inspired by the Who's 'Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy LP cover, here they are hanging out on the steps (no ciggies though...):

36.jpg

Still looking for a pre-'56 clean-but-not-necessarily-pristine J-185, just cuz.

Fred

I've come very very close to buying a J185 a couple of times. Played a sweet one on a weekend trip to town back in '01. When I went back to buy it the following weekend (80 miles to the store from home), the marked price had increased by $200. They would not honor the price from a week earlier, so passed on it & ended up with a J100-Xtra from another shop, which I still happily own today.

Archived