Gibson Brands Forums

New J45 TV problem

gotomsdos

Buy them according to the string gauges you will use on the guitar, which means you should settle that issue first.

Like Buc says. The individual nut files should match the gauges of the individual strings you intend to use.

Hi, friends here !

I'm buying a set nut files, but don't know what exactly gauges are suitable for J45 TV nut.

One of friends here told that stewmac.com may be the best for nut files, so I visited it, got:

====

Standard widths: .010" thru .056"

====

Is this also suitable for J45 TV ? And exactly how wide (inch) are 6 gauges for 6 slots ?

There's no access to seller responsibility or is it too much hassle to complain? It should, as others have said, be professionally set up because the string angle from nut to saddle as it relates to the fingerboard isn't something you can 'eye up'. I've done it 2 or 3 times but it was dumb luck.

I feel for you, man. I'd be so pissed if I had to screw around with this after dropping a couple grand expecting to pick it up and play easy.

You may want to shop around for a suitable replacement nut in case you crack the original or miscalculate filing depth. Maybe you can find one cut to comfortable specs that would just swap out and get you a usable string height. File toward the soundhole and have a garbage string or several to use at each increment to check for buzz..or excessive height. Good luck!

Like Buc says. The individual nut files should match the gauges of the individual strings you intend to use.

All of 6 nut slots are shallow, cause too high actions at first fret (needless to say high frets actions), string 6 action is the highest.

Goto,

have you done anything like this before?

I only ever sanded saddle and filed bridge pins.

I have no way out, returning it will cost me big money (double shipping fee and a tariff), give trouble to seller, and there is no qualified luthier, repairman and techman around me.

If you haven't already, make sure to check out some of Frank Ford's pages on nuts: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/nuts1.html and http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/SetNut/setnut.html

If you haven't done so already, Ford's page is one you should have bookmarked. You can learn much of what you need to know about guitars and how they are built and how they are repaired: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

As much as I like reading Ford's pages, though, I'm reminded that there are very few repairs or "tweaks" on a guitar that I'd want to do myself. Leave it to the professionals.

Goto,

I'm feeling for ya man... to wait a long time for delivery then cost of returning. You are in a bit of a jam.

But I'm worried for you too. Just take a look at the link Madman_Greg gave ( great magazine/site by the way ) this is no straight forward job for the un-experianced . If there is no luthier or tech around to help you..what if it goes wrong.. worst case scenario you may damage your new J45 TV.

Post some pic's please and let people here guide you on best advice. I'm not too sure but if all the strings are too high it may be better to sandpaper the bottom of the nut to lower it slightly.. using fine grade sandpaper and a truly flat surface. Be careful though, I once did this and took too much off leaving the high E rattling!

good luck .

we don't need to see a Gibby messed up on here please

Thank you, but No, no messing up. It's 2.5K guitar, It doesn't seem I'm rubbishing a 2.5K. I'll take huge care and patience to do it like cleaning my eyes, read enough tech articles..

A similar situation here – just got a neck I want to put on a guitar, but found out it would be best to replace the nut on this thing also.

So I'm Sherlock'ing back and forth for the right piece of black Tusq at the moment. Intend to find a fitting nut before sending the neck'n'guitar to the luthier.

I see why you would be a bit frustrated, but no real harm in your camp. Make sure the nut you get is right then see if you can manage yourself. Hardest part will be to take off the old.

Do some web-research and don't hesitate to ask before buying (I'm sure you won't).

Go Gently Gotomdos -

Hi, folks here

Not only too high string height at nut, but also is its neck relief too high, I'll measure these heights after I receive my purchase of measurement tools.

And more, there is a big pitch issue with the guitar. After I tune 6 strings to STD pitch, I find that there is a bit big difference between open note of string 1 and string 2 note at fret 5, etc...and so are almost all 6 strings (two of them are very obvious). these differences are very easy to listento, which makes chord A disharmonous, feel it's out of tune.

So now I'm leaning to not make some setup to my new J45 TV, just keep it original, and return it.

Hi, folks here

Not only too high string height at nut, but also is its neck relief too high, eyes told me it's over 1 mm (string 6 action at fret 1 is about 1.7-1.8 mm), I'll measure these heights after I receive my purchase of measurement tools.

And more, there is a big pitch issue with the guitar. After I tune 6 strings to STD pitch, I find that there is a bit big difference between open note of string 1 and string 2 note at fret 5, etc...and so are almost all 6 strings (two of them are very obvious). these differences are very easy to listento, which makes chord A disharmonous, feel it's out of tune.

So now I'm leaning to not make some setup to my new J45 TV, just keep it original, and return it.

I'm with you on this. Like a new car with it's alignment off. You take it back 'til they get it right. I'll be curious to see what the retailer comes back with when you explain your position. Best of luck.

Hey...if I'm not prying, where do you live? You make it sound like there are absolutely no musician resources available in your region. Too bad. A good luthier could set this guitar up for less than a hundred bucks here in the US. Maybe it's worth shipping it 'in country' to your nearest big town music shop, after you develop a phone relationship with them.

Just grasping at possibilities in my sympathy for your situation, Gots.

I knew this was going to happen. Now we're being asked for advice on what brand sandpaper to use?

Oh, thank you, coz of too high nut string height and too high neck relief, I'm leaning to returning it. I ordered nut files and sandpaper, but I'll use them on other cheap guitars after receiving them.

Oh, thank you, coz of too high nut string height and too high neck relief, I'm leaning to returning it. I ordered nut files and sandpaper, but I'll use them on other cheap guitars after receiving them.

Gotomdos I'm sorry to hear about that.

but It's your money and you are clearly not satisfied .

maybe if you upload photos of the nut we can be of better help .

JC

Gotomdos I'm sorry to hear about that.

but It's your money and you are clearly not satisfied .

maybe if you upload photos of the nut we can be of better help .

JC

Oh, Thank you, stuff like action doesn't seem to be clearly seen on a pic, but I'll measure all heights after I receive a bit pro measurment tools.

Archived