Gibson Brands Forums

So my J-45 TV shows up today and I think its a keeper.

chipss36

not having binding on the fretboard as the web/vendors state is a plus imo, come refret time many years later....be a lot less hassle.

Customers would be up in arms if the J-45 TV had neck binding! Unfortunately, the guys who manage the website in Nashville -- the original source of the bad information -- have no clue that this is the case. And, unfortunately, the guys who do know what is going on -- the folks in Bozeman -- are told by corporate to worry about building guitars and not worry about websites. Fortunately, the photos show that there is no neck binding, so one wouldn't expect this misinformation to cause any actual confusion. One might be wrong. :)

-- Bob R

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“two laminated pieces of rosewood, beautifully matched in color and grain” ????

“it's not that big of a deal to have a beautifully engineered 2 piece bridge on a high end guitar.”

lets take a look at that bridge again....

IMG_1420

let potential buyers decide....

I am sorry, but after looking at the picture again....IT IS rather hideous to be attached to a $3200 Gibson that supposedly is 'true vintage' !

They should save those for 'budget' models. I guess that when buying a guitar sight unseen, that it pays to ask a lot of questions these days.... [confused]

Maybe Im blind or an idiot, but what is exactly wrong with that bridge ?

I dont see anything odd about it, i cant see two pieces, what should i be looking out for ?

It seems like a normal bridge..

I am sorry, but after looking at the picture again....IT IS rather hideous to be attached to a $3200 Gibson that supposedly is 'true vintage' !

They should save those for 'budget' models. I guess that when buying a guitar sight unseen, that it pays to ask a lot of questions these days.... [confused]

I dont see anything odd about it, i cant see two pieces, what should i be looking out for ?

Oh how I wish I had eyes like yours, working with wood over half of my life I can't lie and say that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb to me as well.

Hey euro,

Just to answer you question, If you look at the grain on the bridge, where the lines are, it doesn't line up.

Return the guitar, seems like a no brainer.

The real fun will be to see if these guys who talk big end up with a TV guitar with laminated bridges and fret boards. I know I'll eat some serious crow if they ever do.

Put your money where your mouth is!!!!

I can see these changes on the standard line but a True Vintage, no thanks.

And that is what all the fuss is about .... give me a break ! ](*,)

lol, well that and the fret board. To be honest it is what it is and i think things have been pretty much explained.

Gotomsdos, that's a 2 piece board and a hog neck.

lol, well that and the fret board. To be honest it is what it is and i think things have been pretty much explained.

Gotomsdos, that's a 2 piece board and a hog neck.

LOL...and at least the bridge pins look to fit well....(on a positive note) [wink]

EUREKA !!

I think i've figured it out !!

Judging from the photos submitted of claims where the bridge is laminated, folks , i've got news for you.

THAT'S HOW ROSEWOOD LOOKS !!

Ask any person that knows their wood , I'm glad we have a minority that do agree that those photos are not pictures of laminated bridges.

If you want to SEE what laminated looks like, take a look at the Martin headstock and the WINGS phenomenon.

Take a look at MANY MANY Gibson headstocks and SEE what laminated means.

Its just the nature of rosewood that is making some of you hallucinate the lamination.

HA HA HA ,

My Martin is getting quite COLD sitting on the dinner table [flapper]

Harmonics101

Those pictures of quote unquote laminated bridges have surely been photo shopped and don't convince me that Gibson is manufacturing laminated bridges.

But again , its most likely just an aesthetic issue and the strength of the bridge would not be compromised.

Just like wings on the head stock , it most likely strengthens the wood rather than weaken it.

Those pictures of quote unquote laminated bridges have surely been photo shopped and don't convince me that Gibson is manufacturing laminated bridges.

Actually, they ARE two piece bridges, it was already explained within the thread by a valued member here who is part of the Gibson company, Jeremy Morten. As such it also threw up the term the "Lacey Act guitars". These bridges are two pieces bonded therefore a 'laminate'. Although there seems to be little doubt that hardly any of us could hear a difference, at this level of ownership a lot of attention is paid to aesthetic details. This concession to fit within the Lacey Act rules seems to irk an awful lot of people, as such it could be viewed as a 'step down', there's already quite a few who've stated they wouldn't buy one.

I wouldn't either, not because of sonic issues, but because I believe the perception of this 'downgrade' would harm it's second hand price should I decide to move it on.

The 'laminate' fretboards is another one that seems to have few fans, I suppose the way to look at it is, without the hinderance of the Lacey Act's current implementation they wouldn't be doing this, these are concessions to fit within regulation due to a lack of suitable supplies for the original specs. That fact makes them a 'downgrade' for a great many potential owners.

sad but true....

EUREKA !!

I think i've figured it out !!

Judging from the photos submitted of claims where the bridge is laminated, folks , i've got news for you.

THAT'S HOW ROSEWOOD LOOKS !!

Ask any person that knows their wood , I'm glad we have a minority that do agree that those photos are not pictures of laminated bridges.

If you want to SEE what laminated looks like, take a look at the Martin headstock and the WINGS phenomenon.

Take a look at MANY MANY Gibson headstocks and SEE what laminated means.

Its just the nature of rosewood that is making some of you hallucinate the lamination.

HA HA HA ,

My Martin is getting quite COLD sitting on the dinner table [flapper]

Harmonics101

But again , its most likely just an aesthetic issue and the strength of the bridge would not be compromised.

Just like wings on the head stock , it most likely strengthens the wood rather than weaken it.

Are you serious or are you just trying your hand at trolling again? [rolleyes]

Archived